V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say this is a great site, I have been reading and learning for a while now. I just got my first H-D, a Electra Glide Standard. It is used with 2500 miles. The only manual I got was for the radio. I already know I need to buy the service manual. My question is do I need the owners manual as well? Or does the service manual cover it? Thanks All

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think everything that is in the owners manual is in the service manual. I have a service manual for 1998 FLT Models-- pn 99483-98. If you want it I will ship it to your door for the total price of $30.00.

"there being no charges filed---I stand mute"

·
Registered
779 Posts
IMHO, the owners manual is next to useless. It's kind of a one-size-fits-all for the touring line.

Also, 90% of the trouble shooting says "See your dealer"...

The service manual, on the other hand is fantastic! Photos, drawings, step by step instructions, etc...

If you can read at the 8th grade level, and have basic mechanics tools, you're good to go...

-2$en#e-
Good Luck
Dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
thanks for the info ZR1dan, I too just bought a used Harley, 2003 RG. It did not come with a owners manual either. I bought a Harley service manal and was also wondering if I needed to buy the owners manual. Thanks for the info, saved me a few bucks..

·
Registered
779 Posts
I too just bought a used Harley, 2003 RG
Thats what I'm riding too. Picked it up last April w/ 3500 miles on it...

Great bikes:wavey:

·
A Bit Off Center
31 Posts
I'd get the service manual and the parts manual for the touring class. It will be the best $100.00 spent. Parts manual gives you all the part numbers and also the blow-up view of how everything is put together. Might just save you some money down the road on service cost.

Mine is mandatory reading during my quiet time in the bathroom :clap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts