V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Seasoned and Baked
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a job working at an indy bike shop as a counterman/ service writer. I'm in Florida where riding is doable 24/7, 365 days a year. Yet, we're lucky to get in one bike a day for service! Same w/ parts sales. WTF, I thought the economy was chugging along real well. And to top it off we should be getting more business as the MoCo will not work on any Harley built before 2003. Are less people riding now?

·
Registered
814 Posts
I went to my indie shop here in Sou. Indiana yesterday to pay my bill and their shop was empty with the lights off. he said its always like this after xmas. Kinda like boating most people wait until the weather is nice to find out their boat needs work and then you can't get in for two months. Most bike riders maintain the hell out of their bikes, I know I do.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
The local beach hd dealer is 30 miles north of Myrtle Beach where the crowds gather. They run a tire sale after Christmas the price quoted includes taxes and all mounting etc. It must be a deal as the shop is full of bikes getting a new set of tires and while it is in there might get some other stuff done, right?

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I got a job working at an indy bike shop as a counterman/ service writer. I'm in Florida where riding is doable 24/7, 365 days a year. Yet, we're lucky to get in one bike a day for service! Same w/ parts sales. WTF, I thought the economy was chugging along real well. And to top it off we should be getting more business as the MoCo will not work on any Harley built before 2003. Are less people riding now?
Blame is on Therm and Terry, they educate way to many people on here on DIY 🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
19,746 Posts
January always sucks. People are too concerned with paying Xmas debt and pending taxes.

On the indy automotive side of it, you pray for big snow for January and February, so people will go out and break stuff. I used to hate pulling transmissions out of snow packed plow trucks in the winter, but I realized it was paying the bills.

·
Just Sayin'
2,549 Posts
Hey Wide, it might be your "counter-side" manner chasing off the customers. :ROFLMAO: I hope you had a nice Christmas my friend.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Well if you maintain your bike properly why would you need to take it to an Indy or a H-D dealer.
I would use the Indy before I'd go to the dealer if work was necessary.

I would think most riders have somewhat of a clue as how to upkeep their ride, but then again...

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
That is me all over just an oil changer. I don't have the tools or skill to repair my engines so off to the indie. It took me a few years before I found the one I have now. He charges a fair rate and sometimes will take something of value for his work.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Seasoned and Baked
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if you maintain your bike properly why would you need to take it to an Indy or a H-D dealer.
I would use the Indy before I'd go to the dealer if work was necessary.

I would think most riders have somewhat of a clue as how to upkeep their ride, but then again...
Malx, most riders today do have a clue, but that's as far it goes. Today's new HD's are as complicated as today's cars. So fluid changes and minor wiring are the extent of work individuals can do. JMHO

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Malx, most riders today do have a clue, but that's as far it goes. Today's new HD's are as complicated as today's cars. So fluid changes and minor wiring are the extent of work individuals can do. JMHO
That's why I love my old Evo's, Just like old cars, you can work on them..

·
Registered
141 Posts
I wish I could find an Indy in Northern NY that was worth a ****. We had one when I moved away 10 yrs ago, moved back last year and see they have closed their doors.

·
Premium Member
6,797 Posts
Took mine to an indie shop yesterday, dude's shop was packed.
Packed with work or packed with junk? Most of the independents around here much like every other kind of repair place for things on wheels maintains a bunch of stuff that isn't generating revenue. There's a few not far from here and to look at their shop you would think they have work up the wazoo but such is not the case.

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I can buy funzy stuff and can't wait to bolt it on. Oil changes, simple fixes like clutch needs adjusted, foot peg sh!t too. Take my seat off anytime I please, plug that battery up if needed.. Once it's a break down, I'd rather pay someone to fix that include taking my tire off and putting new tires tubes and brake job.

I almost would pay someone to wash it once a spring.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts