V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on how to make a a stock dyna glide quieter?

(I know, I know... most want to make it depper and louder... please bear with me.)

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
davidh4976, that's a new one for sure. With the stock exhaust I'm not sure that there is much that you can do. They are already pretty quiet and restrictive. I know that with aftermarket mufflers/pipes with removable baffles that you can wrap them with fiberglass packing that will mellow them out some or replace with a smaller inside diameter baffles that will quiet them down but restrict them more. Are you trying to sneak out of town or something?:D . Just kidding.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
FifthGear, hi, another newbie here. I have V&H Short Shots on my FXDS which look great but are hellishly loud. Does what you are saying mean that if I remove the internal baffles, wrap them in baffle wrap and put them back a) it won't affect the engine at all, b) it might drop the noise level a tad, and c) I won't be blowing trails of fibreglass out the back every trip?

Any thoughts would be most welcome. Just waiting for the English rain to reduce a bit before getting back out there.

PS Sorry davidh4976 for temporarily hijacking your thread :D

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Ogri98 said:
FifthGear, hi, another newbie here. I have V&H Short Shots on my FXDS which look great but are hellishly loud. Does what you are saying mean that if I remove the internal baffles, wrap them in baffle wrap and put them back a) it won't affect the engine at all, b) it might drop the noise level a tad, and c) I won't be blowing trails of fibreglass out the back every trip?

Any thoughts would be most welcome. Just waiting for the English rain to reduce a bit before getting back out there.

PS Sorry davidh4976 for temporarily hijacking your thread :D
I don't think that you will have to rejet with just the fiberglass packing unless you go to a much smaller more restrictive baffle. If you have, for an example, a 2 1/4" outer pipe end with a 2" diameter louvered baffle, there wouldn't be clearence for the packing. With my Samson Big Guns I originally ran 2" louvered or just reversion bolts. I had to use 1 3/4" louvered baffles for fiberglass packing. They also make a 1 1/2" for 2 1/4" pipes. What I did was use stainless steel wire and wraped it tight over the packing. Packing will eventually "burn out" so to speak and get louder and have to be replaced. You will not leave a trail of fiberglass. It is like the old glass pack mufflers back in the hot rod car days. They were cheap but eventually had to be replaced. Packing is cheap. I think I paid about 2 or 3 dollars from JCWhitney for enough packing to do both baffels.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for asking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts