V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I would start the FXR today before I tear it down for paint, the battery is dead so been charging it all week but as I started turning it over I had oil pumping out of what the service manual say is the vent line, it isn't connected to anything just hanging in mid air about 5" long after the fitting? The manual says its connects to the carb? I could hear gargleing coming out of the line? I pulled the plugs and turned it over and it just pumped out a LOT of oil. I'll keep reading the manual and hoping somebody can enlighten me!!!! Thanks.... COOP

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Thats called sumping and is not a major problem. It usually happens after the bike has sat for a while. The check ball valve in the oil pump allows the oil to flow into the engine cases and then it blows it out the breather when started.

After running it for a few minutes it should stop. If it continues or happens on a regular basis then the check valve should be addressed. If it only happens after not running for a while, just clean it up and go.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks springer and that makes me feel a lot better, this bike hasn't been started for 3 years so tomorrow I'll buy a new battery and try it again!!!!! COOP

·
Laughing Poseur
5,259 Posts
Thats called sumping and is not a major problem. It usually happens after the bike has sat for a while. The check ball valve in the oil pump allows the oil to flow into the engine cases and then it blows it out the breather when started.

After running it for a few minutes it should stop. If it continues or happens on a regular basis then the check valve should be addressed. If it only happens after not running for a while, just clean it up and go.
us Shovel guys know that well :whistle:

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
yup, used to be first start up every spring my old shovel would puke
My Ironhead did too

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
Every time my FXR sits for more than a couple of weeks, I hook a hose to it leading to a jug and let it rip. It just started this little habit in the last six months, so I'm gonna pick up a couple of balls and a spring from a dealer. Been told you can put a fresh ball in and whack it using a punch to reseat the radius. Then install the other fresh ball with a new spring and hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Every time my FXR sits for more than a couple of weeks, I hook a hose to it leading to a jug and let it rip. It just started this little habit in the last six months, so I'm gonna pick up a couple of balls and a spring from a dealer. Been told you can put a fresh ball in and whack it using a punch to reseat the radius. Then install the other fresh ball with a new spring and hope for the best.
Good too know. I love how most fixes on these Harleys involve just giving it a good whack!!

My first car was a 69 Mustang and I would often have to give the bowl on the carb a good whack too get the needle to pop back up and often whack the starter as well.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Check this out before you beat on your oil pump with a hammer ... http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/showthread.php?t=87

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I read that write up before and if the method I described doesn't do the trick, then I'll tear down and do it that way. If I thought I could keep the lapping compound out of the rest of the pump with it on the bike, there is no doubt it would be the best fix.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Also during the starting cycle it'll start drawing oil from the tank, but if it doesn't fire, not enough pressure builds up to push the oil back to the tank, so it pukes out the vent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts