V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished most of the 20,000 mi maintenance, and I have a couple of questions fro the Service Manual:
1. Can the rear belt deflection be adjusted by just 1 person?
2. There is no guidance for suspension adjustments. Is there any elsewhere?
3. The throttle and idle cables got in the way of/impeded the fall away test. Is there a preferred way to preclude this?
4. Where are the fork stem bracket pinch bolts?
5. What size are the fork tube caps?
6. In trying to adjust the idle cable, I could not determine whether the cable housing ever touched the spring in the cable support sleeve. I only saw the idle cable take up slack around the throttle cam. I just adjusted the idle cable adjuster until there was little play in the throttle grip at the 0% throttle position.
7. My rear fork pivot nut is covered by my Kuryakyn Adjustible Passenger Pegs. SHould I remove the peg to get to the nut?
8. I could really only get to 1 of the enging mounting nuts (I also need a bigger torque wrench). Are there any tips to getting to the lower nut?
9. What king of socket should be used on the brake banjo bolts (and other similar brake bolts)?
10. WHere are the pinch bolts for the front fork?

Whew.

Thanks all,

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bumpity bump

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Man... sounds like you should have done this with someone a little more experienced, at least for the first time. But then I am a worrier.

I can answer one question, however.

"9. What kind of socket should be used on the brake banjo bolts (and other similar brake bolts)?"

I had an occasion to remove those and replace them with some chrome allen bolts. Bolts such as those need a female TORX socket. I didn't realize one even existed. There is one size that a 12 point standard socket fits, but I can't remember which one. It is the one size missing from the set I picked up at Sears. They are not with the standard Craftsmen sockets however. Sears has a special isle where the TORX tools are stocked.

Hope that helps.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
8-Ball said:
Man... sounds like you should have done this with someone a little more experienced, at least for the first time. But then I am a worrier.

I can answer one question, however.

"9. What kind of socket should be used on the brake banjo bolts (and other similar brake bolts)?"

I had an occasion to remove those and replace them with some chrome allen bolts. Bolts such as those need a female TORX socket. I didn't realize one even existed. There is one size that a 12 point standard socket fits, but I can't remember which one. It is the one size missing from the set I picked up at Sears. They are not with the standard Craftsmen sockets however. Sears has a special isle where the TORX tools are stocked.

Hope that helps.

A 10mm 12 point works for the brake banjo.

If you have an FL softail the pinch bolts are under the tins on the fork. They are on the lower half of the triple tree. Pain in the A, because to get them off all the way you have to remove the headlight bucket. Which ain't easy. I just put tape over the healight bucket and was able to work those bolts.

The service manual has adjustment information for the rear shock preload adjustments on softails.

Disconnect the cables for the fall away.

What do you mean by what size fork tube caps?? If you mean what size socket or wrench to use, I'm not sure, I would use one that fit's.:)

I think you adjusted the cable the same way everybody does, but if you loosen it and start to take up the slack while watching the cable closely at the carb end you will see that it stops just as it hit's the spring.

If removing the pass pegs is the only way to get to the bolt remove them.

Not sure about the engine bolts.

I think #10 is the same as #4

I adjusted the belt tension by myself.

Hope some of this helps.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, VA :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts