V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 Dyna Convertible with the twin cam 88. I do all the maintenance on it myself utilizing the official Harley shop manual. I now have 24,000 miles.

The book calls for front fork oil replacement every 10,000 miles. Does anyone agree with that...or should I just leave it alone? Only replace it when I need to replace the seals?

The book says nothing about replacing brake fluid. So, does the brake fluid stay good forever? I would think that brake fluid should be changed every once in awhile. Anyways, let me know what you all think.

I have this annoying rattle/squeek coming from my motorcycle. I have tightend the exhaust shield clamps...and I still have the noise. It seems to only make this noise after the engine is warm. I would appreciate any help on this matter.

Thanks,

·
Registered
205 Posts
I may be able to help with the squeek...I have an '01 FXDL and had a little squeek or chirp. It turned out to be the battery cover. I mounted some of those little clear rubber bumpers on a few key locations on the insides of the cover and the chirp disappeared. As far as the brake fluid, I think I would change it when I did new pads. We arent talking about a lot of fluid here.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Guess it kinda depends on your riding conditions. If you live in a dusty area changing every 10k would probably be reasonable. I waited until 15k to do mine and the old fluid looked brand new. I'm at 34k now and have no plans to change it any time soon. Would be interested in hearing if anyone every changed it and found the fluid to be dirty (and at what mileage/riding conditions).

You bring up an interesting point about the brake fluid. I know that the DOT 3 fluid that automobiles use absorbs moisture over time and makes the fluid acidic (corrodes metal, deteriorates seals). So yeah, its a good idea to replace the fluid periodically. I dunno if the DOT 5 stuff speced for our rides does the same. Anyone know?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I changed the front fork oil on my bike today...and I think it was the first time it has ever been done. I did the procedure just like the '99 Harley service manal calls for. I had the top fork caps off, then took the drain screws out. When the drain screws were out....NO FLUID came out!! I took a flashlight and looked down the fork tube...via there was fluid in each tube. So, I took a small carpenters nail and poked around the drain screw...finally the old oil came out.

Then of course, all sh&* happened! One of the drain screws broke off into the fork. It didn't even brake off flush with the fork. It broke way inside the fork. I tried a very small flat head screwdriver and tapped on the screw hoping to make a slit. That did not work as the screwdriver is too weak and bent. The screw is also very weak...make a slit and turn...just small shavings from the broken screw comes out.

Should I take my bike to the machine shop for a small fee and get the screw out now? Or should I wait till the fork oil needs changing in about 10,000 miles or so?

Why does Harley put a cheesy little philips drain screw on the bikes for? It wouldn't have hurt them to put a slightly larger hole with a larger bolt as well. Even an allen head bolt would be a welcome over that dang phillips screw.

The old fork oil looked like water from a mud puddle!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Since the oil from the one leg was in such poor condition chances are the other leg is just as bad, so don't wait to change it. Most any competent mechanic should be able to drill out the old screw. I replaced my phillips screw bleeders with a chrome allen head style I got from the HD dealer.

As for the brake fluid, I poked around on the web and discovered that DOT 5 is silicone-based fluid. The Vintage Triumph site explained the DOT fluids as good as any other sites. Wouldn't hurt to replace it especially if the brakes feel "spongy".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts