V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a local master machanic that has owned about 10-12 HD's and now has a auto repair place, real sharp guy. I was going to ask him if he would maintain my 2006 HD Dyna Lowrider if I bought the service manual. If he says he will do it I will save $$$ and feel like the work was done right. I would this effect my warranty? Does he need any special tools to do the 1K and 5K maintance?

G

·
As long as you document that the work was done, and that suitable parts and lubes were used, there will be no adverse effect on the warranty. If he has a shop, there would be no tools that he doesn't have already.

Harris

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Harris said:
If he has a shop, there would be no tools that he doesn't have already.
Or wouldn't have a problem going out and getting...

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
PitBull said:
Does he need any special tools to do the 1K and 5K maintance?
If your bike is EFI there may be some specific tools required to interface with the ECM.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
If it's routine maintenance if you are like many you'll enjoy doing the maintenance yourself and get to know your bike better. With the service manual, a few tools and this forum anything is possible. If it's anything other than routine maintenance your bike is gonna be covered under warranty and the dealer should handle it for free.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I do most of my own service now but I discovered that the inde shop in town is owned by an ex dealer service manager. I started using him for parts and he just did my state inspection. When my warranty runs out I think I will be done with the dealer except for the FI although I may have figured that out by then.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Read your Owners Manual!!!! "RTFM".... Owners Manual says the
1st service must be performed by a dealer to keep the warranty in
affect. Not sure of the page, its there. I bought an 06 FLHXI. Its in there.

After that keep the receipts for all parts, service parts and oils you purchase.
Keep a document of what is performed at each required maintence mileage as perscribed by the owner manual. "What I did is make a list of what needs to be serviced in MS Excel, and print it out and sign it when service is done""".

I had a extended warranty with the 02FXST I had. I called the extended warranty phone number and thats what they told me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Red02FXST said:

QUOTE]

wrong, if a the dealer tells you that the "1st service must be performed by a dealer to keep the warranty" they are lying, and they know they are lying.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Owners Manual says the
Bulltucky. Dealer service is NEVER required for normal maintenance.

You're not sure of the page because this doesn't exist.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Magnuson-Moss Act

Harley can not and does not require you to have any maintenance done by the dealer. If Harley or the dealer required you to do this it would be their responsibility to provide the service for free. So goes the law.

In 1975 the Magnuson-Moss Act was passed in response to these kind of issues. Known mostly as the lemon-laws the act also covers the issue of required services. That part of the act is referred to as the tie-in provision portion: you can not tie-in required service by any specific provider as a requirement to keep the warranty valid; it further prevents the manufacturer from requiring you use only their products to keep the warranty.

If you really need to know everything about this then search for Magnuson-Moss Act and read away. You might want a copy for you dealer next time he gives you the must get it done here line.

As this issue seems to continually show up on a variety of posting maybe our moderator can find a way to set a section of the site with the act and FAQ's.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Red02FXST said:

After that keep the receipts for all parts, service parts and oils you purchase.
Keep a document of what is performed at each required maintence mileage as perscribed by the owner manual. "What I did is make a list of what needs to be serviced in MS Excel, and print it out and sign it when service is done""".

I had a extended warranty with the 02FXST I had. I called the extended warranty phone number and thats what they told me.
yep he is correct i have read it myself after the first service your good to go

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ciginia1972 said:
yep he is correct i have read it myself after the first service your good to go
I just checked the manual on my 2006 dyna and I can't find where it says the first service "must" be done by the dealer. Can someone point out the page number?

·
Retired USN
61 Posts
Page 167 of the Touring Model 2006 manual says
The performance of new motorcycle intial service is required to keep your new motorcycle warranty in force and to assure proper emissions system operation
Note that the statement doesn't say anything about it has to be done by a HD dealer.

The next paragraph says
Refer to table 45. After a new motorcycle has been ridden its first 1000 miles (1600 kilometers), it should be taken to the dealer from whom it was purchased for initial service operations.
again it says should not must.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Back in the day when I worked on BMW cages (circa late '80's) their first 1000 mile service was covered, all engine oil, manual transmission lube, rear end lube and the first valve adjustment, but not required to keep warranty up.
While waiting to take delivery of my RG for some back ordered parts to come in for install have been reading the owners manual and the big shop manual still unable to find the first, 1,000 mile, service required to be done at dealer eludes me. Warranty section for 2006 touring Harley's starts on page 247, still no see'um.

·
Registered
61 Posts
PitBull said:
I just checked the manual on my 2006 dyna and I can't find where it says the first service "must" be done by the dealer. Can someone point out the page number?
yeah you are right says it must be performed but dont say a dealer has to do it.The 1rst service was included with my purchace anyways.But even it hadnt I believe I would have had the initial service done at dealer just so theycouldnt say no bs bout sumthing not correct seeing if any probs showing up right off the bat.I did pay for the initial service on a 96 I had after that the bike seen the shop total 3 times within 106k miles besides new rubber mounted.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like for peace of mind and to eliminate future hassle I should have the local dealer do the 1K mile service. They want over $300 for this service, a few possible adjustments and changing fluids. What a rip off :(

·
Iron Butt
559 Posts
As toybox notes, the Magnuson-Moss act specifically prohibits "Tie-in Sales" provisions with respect to warranty issues. Take a look in section 102 (c) of the act.

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
g480628 said:
As toybox notes, the Magnuson-Moss act specifically prohibits "Tie-in Sales" provisions with respect to warranty issues. Take a look in section 102 (c) of the act.

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.
Did you just say that HD can void your warranty or limit coverage if I don't have them do the 1K, 5K, 10K service and I decide to have it done else where?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I talked to the dealer and explained that I prefered to do my own maintenance. They said that as long as I had receipts for oil/filter changes...etc, to show that maintenance was performed, they had no problem honoring the warranty. I just purchased the oil and filters at the dealer. Never had any problems with the bike though, so I never tested their good will.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
Forgot to mention that when my extended warranty ran out without ever having been used, I applied for the warranty refund (only available as part of the contract for a few months in 2002, so don't ask...). As part of the refund procedure, I had to provide service records. I mailed in a BUNCH of reciepts for automotive oil from Target and Wallyworld, Redline products from an internet dealer, filters from the local indy shop, etc. They mailed me my refund check, no questions asked ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts