V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I'm really frustrated with my latest oil leak. First off I installed a new HD chrome inner primary that came with the latest and greatest seals already installed that the factory is now using on the production line to help cure leaky main-shaft and jack-shaft seals. After a few days, I noticed a new puddle that was dark green. Happens to be Amsoil 75-90 gear lube so it's easy to recognize.

I used blue RTV sealer to seal the new primary to the mating surfaces on the tranny. I also globbed it around the outside of the bolt shoulders (not threads) going into the case to hold it on. I don't think I have a main-shaft seal but anything is possible. After reading the manual a few times, I never really understood the sealing technique using the sealer and I'm thinking that's where I screwed up. I'm also thinking blue Permatex RTV was a bad idea. Everything got torqued as per HD specs with a crisscross pattern to snug it up.

Out of the four or five bolt holes in the tranny that hold the inner primary on, does tranny fluid actually seep through them or is the only place tranny fluid can leak is around the main-shaft seal? I'm confused about the inner primary seals. Do they only seal off primary fluid or do they also seal off tranny fluid as well? I've looked all over the net and searched the HD forum and I still can't find any info on how to seal everything up properly.

Hippo has mentioned 3 bond and I have a brand new tube of it ready to go to use as sealant. it's the kind used for mounting grips... is this the right one or do I need a different 3 Bond product? I would like to fix this myself as a learning experience but before I do, does this leak sound like a main-shaft seal leak off of the tranny or did I probably just not get the inner primary sealed up properly? Do you coat the threads of the bolt with the 3 bond or only the upper shoulders of the bolt. I'm getting pretty good at tearing it all apart but I would really like to get her sealed up for good this time.

Any suggestions before I redo it or is it time to call in my indy wrench? I know this ain't rocket science but I'm going to learn one way or the other.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
RP, You're sure it's gear oil. It shouldn't be the primary seals as they have nothing to do with the sealing of the tranny fluid, and the bolts with through holes in the primary will only leak the primary fluid. I'm sure you sealed the primary fine when you installed it. The bitch is you'll have to remove it to go for a tranny leak (due to a seal). You're correct that it may be the main drive gear seal (small one inside the drive gear), too tight on the primary chain can cause this. It may also be the large oil seal from the gear to case, and there is a quad seal behind the sprocket spacer. You shouldn't have a trans. leak caused by changing the inner primary. How bad is the leak? Just for the hope of something simple,,, I have seen bikes puke some tranny fluid from the vent when idling on the side stand. Did you look under the bike from the right or use a mirror and flashlight to try to pinpoint the origin of the leak?
Hope this helps.
Feel free to give me a call.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes sir, Amsoil 75-90 Stinky Green.... I run the gold/brown colored stuff in the primary.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Have you pinpointed where it looks to be coming from? I can't believe it has anything to do with the inner primary swap. Could be a coincidence. Gravity and the wind from riding sometimes makes the leak look like it's coming from somewhere else.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put her up on the craftsman jack and sprayed everything down with carb cleaner. I'll look at it tomrrow after work and see if I can figure out for sure where it's coming from. I'll take it for a 30 min or so spin and see if I can get it to reproduce the leak. Sure as hell as I go through all this process the freaking gremlins will come in tonight and fix it just so they can screw with me somemore. And I thought Fords were a PIA to find a leak on....

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Start with checking it after being parked on the sidestand. Then idling on the sidestand. Keep the first ride short and check, as the leak will travel due to the wind and gravity mentioned earlier. Keep us updated.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Chrome inners are not flat due to the chrome on the sealing surface, they can leak there as well. Common issue with chrome items like the inner

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, don't know for sure but I let it run for awhile and took around the neighborhood to put a few slow miles on her. Came back and so far no leak but since I cleaned everything off it may take awhile to show it's ugly litte face again.

BUT I did get a closer look around the shifter area on the top side looking down and it looks like I may have a leak around the shifter seal going into the tranny.

Are shifter seals prone to leaking around 10K? Is there a updated seal for the shifter like there there was for the jackshaft and the mainshaft primary seals.

Thanks guys....

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I have seen no shifter shaft seals leak enough to make it to the ground, and know a few with over 100k. Doesn't mean yours isn't.

Where is the trans. vent hose outlet?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vent tube looks dry as a bone. I'll ride it to work tomorrow and recheck once I get her on the jack. You guys with table lifts are sure lucky. Wish I could justify buying one. Then again as much as I enjoy taking this thing apart and putting it back together again.... might be worth it to try to find a good used one.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gotta go out of town for a few and I'll revist this issue later.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Bike or lift?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bike first then lift. I just got back into town and of course it's still raining here and Dallas and I can't ride. Hopefully in the next few days I can get her heated up enough to spit some new oil out and I can find out where the leak is coming from.

As for lifts, Anyone ever hear of a Panther lift? Looks just like a Handy lift. Here's the web address:http://pantherlifts.com/motorcycle_lift.html

I sent an email asking for moreinfo and this is what I got back. Take a look and tell me if they are crap or not? I know Direct Lift makes there's in China as well. Anyone got one of these imports???????? $550 for a lift, jack and a vise. Not bad if it's not a POS.

Hello Robert,
Thank you for your email. Yes, our lift looks just like the Handy lift because that is the lift we modled after. It is a very clean looking lift and easy to work with. We have a distribution warehouse in Cleburne TX where you are welcome to pick the lift up at once it is purchased we will make an appointment for my service manager to meet you there.

If you would like just the motorcycle lift ($420) and Jack ($75.00) and vise ($55.00). The total would be $550.00. You are welcome to create your own package.

Panther Lifts will back our lift 100%, if you are not completely happy with the lift we will take it back at our cost and refund you. We have a partner in China who puts the steel together for us and we have very high quality control. We do not sub out to another factory everything is done by Panther Lifts. The warranty on the lift is 1 year.

I hope this helps answer your questions and I look forward to working with you.
Thanks,
Mary

On 3/16/06, robert brock <[email protected]> wrote:
I'm looking for a motorcycle lift and I'm wondering about the ones you have
on eBay. Are they made by Handy? They look just like them.

Also, I'm in Dallas, where are you guys? Could I pick one up if you're in
the Metroplex?

What if I don't want the side extensions or the front extensions? What if I
only need a jack? What's the cost of a jack?

What's the warranty?

What makes these better than Direct Lift's stuff?

Thanks,

rpbrock

Panther Lifts and Automotive Equipment
www.pantherlifts.com <http://www.pantherlifts.com>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts