V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine's a 2000 FLHTCI with 83,000 miles, and the EFI is fine. I used to fiddle with the idles, but since I set the cold idle using the voltage method, I haven't touched it in a couple of years. Get a service manual and some experience, and it shouldn't cost you anything to tweak it.
How is it you were able to tweak the idle on the MM EFI using the service manual? My service manual says it has to be hooked up to a scanner in order to get the idle set correctly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ezrider....

You have asked a good question and yet a difficult one....great in that it's a valid question...difficult in that at this website you will never get enough statistical data to support what the general population of people owning the MM EFI bikes are actually experiencing with their rides.....

I believe your thoughts which of course is why we come here in the first place is perhaps to decide...what makes you more comfortable....granted you have HD's version of the first EFI (MM) for the twin cam.....many over the years on different websites have consistantly commented how they found such a system less than favorable....in fact I would say the "vast" majority who own the MM EFI bikes have been the most aggressive in doing their conversions from the MM EFI to carb.

The key however is what will so motivate you to enjoy your bike more....and to have the confidence to be able to work on it if there is a problem....SO my point is it must start with you....and how you feel....because it's a lonely feeling whether you are out on the road with all of your buddies/friends and your bike breaks down and you and everyone you are with are staring at it....so I would ask myself if such were to happen to me which one am I prepared to confidently dig in and figure out....I am inclusive with you that I own an EFI bike, mine however is the delphi.....at the end of the day just like you I have to learn about 5 more things than a carb bike owner does....as I have fuel injectors, a fuel pump, a fuel filter, etc.....well here it is look and see:

Carb Bike Has:
1) 32316-99 (MAP) Manifold Air Pressure (AKA Barometric Pressure Sensor) Sensor
32424-98 (MAP) Manifold Air Pressure (AKA Barometric Pressure Sensor) Sensor Without Seal
11291 (MAP) Manifold Air Pressure (AKA Barometric Pressure Sensor) Seal
2) 32798-00A (CKP) Crankshaft Position Sensor
3) 74429-97A (VSS) Speed Sensor
4) 68920-01A Bank Angle Sensor Within Turn Signal Module (TSM)
5) a 2001 EFI MM bike also has a camshaft position sensor as well....which assists in helping the ignition to fire....this is not on a delphi bike...

Carb Bike Does NOT Have:
1) 32446-99 Engine Temperature Sensor
2) 27629-01 (TPS) Throttle Position Sensor [KIT]
3) 27270-95 (IAT) Intake Air Temperature (IAT) [Kit]
4) 27628-01 (IAC) Idle Air Speed Control Actuator Sensor
5) 31511-01A System Relay Located In The Fuse Box Area Of An FLHRCI (RKC)
6) 27609-01 Front Injector
7) 27609-01 Rear Injector
8) 62897-01 Fuel Pump Assembly
9) 27408-01 Fuel Pump Regulator
10) Fuel Filter

So basically by going to carb you lessen 10 elements from consideration if problems develop.....and you gain new elements if a problem develops.....but they are sometimes "easier" elements for some to "cope" with.....

If many of your buddies are riding carb bikes and you break down.....unless they are just shade tree mechanic gurues they will scratch their head and say don't know bro....I have a carb....so if you are riding with mostly carb bikes....something to consider....on the other hand if your bros are all riding efi bikes someone is going to have some talent most likely.....

And while we are on this topic.....I think it can be pretty well established that the "technicians" at the dealerships are basically "part changers" but not necessarily great "diagnostic" wizzards and when we have problems with our bikes it really starts there can one successfully "diagnois" the problem....changing the 'part' is the easy element of this discussion....and unfortunately what the dealerships do is use the HD scanalizers and seek if they find a "Code" well sometimes these bikes don't THROW OUT codes and then the guess work begins....so the burdon shifts to you and I to decide what level of participation we are going to emerse ourselves into....are we going to learn as best we can what each sensor does and each part of what the EFI is doing well enough that if a problem develops we can implement a plan of attack or are we going to throw our hands in the air and look to someone else...ie: dealer technician which we have already develped doesn't bode well for confidence........

SO EZrider...it really comes down not to what others are "necessarily" experiencing but what you wish to be faced with if or when your bike breaks down....mechanical parts fail that's what they do....what are YOU going to be comfortable with.....even if you change to CARB you will need to learn about 5 sensors and how they play a role on your bike...so your not without a learning curve.....

But it should be said....your model year is the best canidate for in fact going to carb....it happens over and over.....and I am glad others here are having excellent experiences with their bikes....that's awesome.....but I personally chased a broken injector wire for 2 years unbeknownst to me that I was.....even the best indy mechanics with their skill set are guessing right along with you and me....SO IT COMES DOWN to what is going to motivate you to understand your bike the best....if it's switching to carb so be it....if it's running your bike as it came from the factory with your MM EFI so be it.....or if it's selling your bike and purchasing a 2002 carb bike which will be hard to find so be it....

If I have learned anything about the ownership of a motorcycle the burdon for me to learn about my bike rests with me as well as input from everyone here and at other "tech" boards to keep my bike running as trouble free as possible....

I would finallly say you will if you spend enough time reading, find an overwhelming support for taking your MM EFI to carb.....but the question is, is this the "support' you need to make the switch anyway???? Justification is just around the corner....you will find it.....

Regards,

"Classic"
I am no 'guru' but based on my fiddling around with carbs from a rookie's point of view, there are still more than 5 elements to a carb. you have needles, jets, floats, measurements for floats, etc. Neither of the systems is admirable for a person with basic knowledge broke down on the road, and both types can fail. I would agree with the carb at least, you can make adjustments, given that you know what to adjust, on the road. I have an '01 MM that was fine until my power commander fell off the velcro, sat on the drive belt until it ate through and got a hold of some circuits. That fried the ECU and was replaced by the dealer under ESP extended warranty plan. They just denied there was any tuner on the bike and replaced the ECU. The replacement ECU was the issue. It was something new, took new software, something and took them over 2 weeks to figure out how to talk to it. Once they did, they dyno'd and was kicking ass. But now I did a big bore upgrade and trying to get them to put in a map so it knows about the bigger chamber, but again, the tech who was there is gone, there are no notes about how it was fixed etc. So here we go again trying to figure out what ECU I have and how to talk to it. Which all in all, is not an Magnetti-Marelli problem. But I digress! lol, sorry to add all that. I agree with you that its how 'you' , the bike owner, feels about EFI vs Carb that should matter. THere are so many tangibles to take into consideration. Desire to tweak? Up/down mtn driving often? ability to understand a small half turn adjustment for air/fuel mixture to go up/down in altitude? and many more questions that we each could think of as important to us. I will probably try a carb switch next year or two just for giggles, unless forced too sooner.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm the original owner of a 2000 FLHTCUI and it was trouble free until this year, now I'm having issues with the MM EFI system and It's starting to cost me money and aggravation chasing the EFI problems.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should continue to chase the problems or convert to a carb setup now and be done with it.

It would be interesting to hear from any folks here that don't have issues with the MM EFI on their 1999-2001 bikes and what their mileage is?

EDIT: It would also be interesting to hear from anyone who had issues and got them fixed without further problems.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm the original owner of a 2000 FLHTCUI and it was trouble free until this year, now I'm having issues with the MM EFI system and It's starting to cost me money and aggravation chasing the EFI problems.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should continue to chase the problems or convert to a carb setup now and be done with it.

It would be interesting to hear from any folks here that don't have issues with the MM EFI on their 1999-2001 bikes and what their mileage is?

EDIT: It would also be interesting to hear from anyone who had issues and got them fixed without further problems.

Thank you.

·
Registered
16,723 Posts
IT'S ALIVE!
After 7 years....

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2000 FLHTPI with 83,000 miles on it and the bike ran great for the past ten yrs that I have owned it. The only thing I have done to it other than routine service is replace the cams and tensioner with S&S gear cams which made a huge difference in the performance or the bike. I broke down the other day and trucked it home and started to see why. On the bike's speedo is a check engine light that one could use to some degree to diognoise the problem. You push the odometer button in and then turn on the ignition switch and it gives you a code of what the problem. I counted the blinks of the light which was 54 and went to the local Harley dealer to ask what the code was and the young, very young man in the service department looked it up and told me there is no such a code for that bike. I was able to get my hands on a repair manual for the bike and it told me that code 54 was the ECI was the problem. I guess the young man at the dealership was not born yet when my bike was built so he had no clue what I was talking about. I asked him if he could check it out and he told that there scanners don't go back that far. Anyway, it is my belief that it is the Magnetti-Marelli ECI box that is the problem. I want to keep the bike as close to stock as possible so I am not considering going carb conversion at this point. before the problem appeared the bike ran great.

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
I'm not sure if this was intended as an intro thread or a comment on a trouble free MM EFI bike but welcome to the forum.
Apparently no one sees the 'In the beginning....' or maybe it should be changed to ' Introductions here.....'

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Wow, old thread, but still relative....MM FI, IMO, is unreliable, difficult to repair and provides lousy performance, esp as it ages, my 97 Glide sprayed fuel all over my left leg, new hoses were $375, switched to carb, never looked back, I can fix it, modify it etc. 50 mpg...( I do have to pull the choke cable) no brainer

·
Registered
167 Posts
My buddies 98 FLHTCUI has been trouble free. 60k. He’s reflashed ECM to accommodate engine mods. And he keeps spare stuff. He never travels to far either. The value is so low on these a carb won’t hurt the resale. Just up your peace of mind.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,955 Posts
Wow, old thread, but still relative....MM FI, IMO, is unreliable, difficult to repair and provides lousy performance, esp as it ages, my 97 Glide sprayed fuel all over my left leg, new hoses were $375, switched to carb, never looked back, I can fix it, modify it etc. 50 mpg...( I do have to pull the choke cable) no brainer
What is different about MM hoses? Could it be the fact that they were 20+ years old?

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,955 Posts
My buddies 98 FLHTCUI has been trouble free. 60k. He’s reflashed ECM to accommodate engine mods. And he keeps spare stuff. He never travels to far either. The value is so low on these a carb won’t hurt the resale. Just up your peace of mind.
OK, I'm really curious. What product is there to reflash a MM EFI ECM with, other than the MoCo "stage" cartridges?

·
Registered
167 Posts
He had the software changed by HD with HD cd. Once that’s done you can’t go back. That’s what he told me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my 01 RK 4 years ago and it’s the first fuel injection (MM EFI) bike. I thought if it ever gave me a problem I would switch to a carb but it never did and at 58,000 it’s been great. Great starts and works better than any carb I ever had.

·
Registered
16,723 Posts
41 - 56 of 56 Posts