V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advice on this setup.

My bike is a 2002 Duece with the S&S 95 inch kit below without the heads.

It features
+.005" oversize 37/8" bore “pop up” pistons, an S&S 570G gear drive camshaft set, S&S adjustable pushrods, S&S valve springs and an S&S Super ‘E’ carburetor kit. The high-lift cams are designed for maximum power with the high compression pistons; the camshafts have 240° intake, 255° exhaust
duration, with .570" valve lift and 40° overlap. The “pop-up” pistons
increase the compression ratio to 9.7:1 with stock cylinder heads.

These are the heads I will be running with a .60 head gasket.

Twin Cam 2.0 Cylinder Heads

99-Up TC - 1.800" Intake Port - 1,795.00 1,795.00
Stg. 3 Portwork Complete - Out
Right
2.00560-005 2.00" Intake-Stainless
2.00560-025 1.630" Exh. Valve - Stainless
2.00510-610 Cast Seat 2.164x1.750
1.00530-000 84-Up-HD-BH Sprg.Kit-.700
4.00490-026 5/16 HD Int Guide - +.001 AVV
4.00500-013 5/16 X .530" Viton VGS - AVV
1.00390-003 Porting-HD Twin - Pair
2.00360-002B Mill Cyl. Head Deck- Ea.-.030
2.00360-003 Comp. Valve Job - Per Head
2.00360-005 R/R Intake Valve Seat-Ea.
4.00360-006 R/R Valve Guide
1.00100-020 99-Up TC Head-Frt-B/HL-Bare
1.00100-021 99-Up TC Head-Rr-B/HL-Bare
2.00180-009 XL/Buell - S&S D Manifold - 1.800 4.25 8.50
Seals - Ea.
1.00180-011 S&S Manifold/G Carb/Twin 63.64 63.64
Cam-4.937" Cyl Ht./1.800 Round
Port
1.00390-005 All H-D/Buell/Import Twin - 82.50 82.50
Intake Manifold Portwork -Aftermarket
Intake

The blower will be running 9psi. My dilema is wether to get rid of the pistons I have, to lower the compression or keep the one's I have. Mind you I will be running 100 octane fuel in this motor at all times since it is available here on Okinawa Japan. I am being told I can run it without a piston change. And of course I will be running an adjustable digital ignition to keep the pinging in check, I hope.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks Starbuck.

Heres a pic of my baby.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
282 Posts
Not really familier with the v-twins but I can tell you I melted the piston out of a big block mopar with a blower running 10psi, 8:1 compression on 110 VP gas. I had a little to much timing in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kindsvater Flat said:
Not really familier with the v-twins but I can tell you I melted the piston out of a big block mopar with a blower running 10psi, 8:1 compression on 110 VP gas. I had a little to much timing in it.
Sorry to hear about that, I will be using a Dyno to jet this thing and to adjust timing. Hopefully it will go O.K.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
282 Posts
Its only money right? :D

My only advice it to run it on the fat side with conservative timing. If I get a chance tomorrow I will stop by Magnaflow's shop. Or I will stop by his house saturday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kindsvater Flat said:
Its only money right? :D

My only advice it to run it on the fat side with conservative timing. If I get a chance tomorrow I will stop by Magnaflow's shop. Or I will stop by his house saturday.
Thanks for the advice, the blower is on order right now. They told me that it is being assembled right now. :thanks:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kindsvater Flat said:
Welcome but I would take advice from someone that really knows bike motors because I don't. I'm sure most of it applies the same though
I just thought you knew the manufactures. But like I said all the tuning will be done on the Dyno I will also be running a knock sensor to make sure she doesnt ping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
A couple of observations...

First, blowers don't like the same kind of cams that high-compression NA motors like. Too much overlap.

Second, my research indicates that S&S carbs are very difficult to tune with a MagnaCharger. Just a heads-up.

Third, low compression is the name of the game with blowers, especially if you're going to run 9psi with no aftercooler. You would be better off all around to lower your compression.

fourth, what pipe do you plan to run? Alot of pipes won't fit.

I have a polished MagnaCharger I recently bought used and I will be putting it on shortly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
Hello Starbuck, I have a desk top dyno and just put together your details and it is showing that you will detonate at 9 psi boost.

In fact anything above 6 psi and 7:1 comp ratio and that is with 100 octane gas.

How real to life these numbers are I dont know and I certainly do not want to slow down your quest for power...........but...........traditionally for a street engine the above figures are realistic.

It is showing a beautiful smooth torque and horsepower curve and quite big numbers with the 570.........much better than the traditional Andrews 31 cam.

I strongly suggest you talk to Magnacharger and get some advice from them as if you are over the top in your component choices......you will destroy the motor and it can and most likely will be catastrophic....and then some!!!

Dont get me wrong about this....I love the idea of a puffer on a Harley

(I`d rather be blown than injected!!!!!!! ha!)​

All the best, Ozzie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Hello Starbuck, I have a desk top dyno and just put together your details and it is showing that you will detonate at 9 psi boost.

In fact anything above 6 psi and 7:1 comp ratio and that is with 100 octane gas.

How real to life these numbers are I dont know and I certainly do not want to slow down your quest for power...........but...........traditionally for a street engine the above figures are realistic.

It is showing a beautiful smooth torque and horsepower curve and quite big numbers with the 570.........much better than the traditional Andrews 31 cam.

I strongly suggest you talk to Magnacharger and get some advice from them as if you are over the top in your component choices......you will destroy the motor and it can and most likely will be catastrophic....and then some!!!

Dont get me wrong about this....I love the idea of a puffer on a Harley

(I`d rather be blown than injected!!!!!!! ha!)​

All the best, Ozzie

I sent in everything on the bike to Magnacharger and their telling me it will work, but it doesnt hurt to ask again. Thanks for the advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Hello Starbuck, I have a desk top dyno and just put together your details and it is showing that you will detonate at 9 psi boost.

In fact anything above 6 psi and 7:1 comp ratio and that is with 100 octane gas.

How real to life these numbers are I dont know and I certainly do not want to slow down your quest for power...........but...........traditionally for a street engine the above figures are realistic.

It is showing a beautiful smooth torque and horsepower curve and quite big numbers with the 570.........much better than the traditional Andrews 31 cam.

I strongly suggest you talk to Magnacharger and get some advice from them as if you are over the top in your component choices......you will destroy the motor and it can and most likely will be catastrophic....and then some!!!

Dont get me wrong about this....I love the idea of a puffer on a Harley

(I`d rather be blown than injected!!!!!!! ha!)​

All the best, Ozzie

Just got a reply from Magnacharger.

It really comes down to what you want in terms of boost. Usually we
set up 9 PSI for 91 oct. gas with 8.5:1 compression. With 100 oct., your
current 9.7:1 pistons, and the 40° overlap camshaft, you should be fine at 9
PSI boost. Compression is actually not static for our superchargers as you
would expect of pistons. Compression is determined by your throttle
position. Every three pounds of boost will be ~1 compression point.
So with 9 PSI you are adding ~3 compression points putting you at ~12.7:1,
but with the overlap on your cam you should be ~12.4:1. Also, this is only
true when you are at full throttle. If you are only at half throttle, then
your compression is equivalent to ~11.4:1. If you were to lower the
compression on the motor with pistons to 8.5:1 we could even get you at 12 PSI with your current gas. As I said before, it just depends on how much boost you want on your bike. I currently have a customer in Canada who runs 118 oct. with 8.5:1 compression and has 18 PSI as well as having a NOS bottle on it. After a recent conversation with him I confirmed that even when he could not get 118 oct. he could still ride it home on pump, 92 oct., as long as he didn't open the throttle much. There is a lot of factors that are
involved in the dynamic compression for the motor, but as I stated earlier, you should be fine with all you have now and you don't need to go low
compression, but if you do you will be able to get more boost and more
power. Also, if you do any more headwork, focus on the exhaust side.
The intake side does not matter as much since you will be forcing it into
the cylinder, but you need the exhaust bigger/smoother to get all the extra
fumes out. If you have any other questions, please feel free to
contact us.
Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ozzie In Arabia said:
Hello Starbuck, I have a desk top dyno and just put together your details and it is showing that you will detonate at 9 psi boost.

In fact anything above 6 psi and 7:1 comp ratio and that is with 100 octane gas.

How real to life these numbers are I dont know and I certainly do not want to slow down your quest for power...........but...........traditionally for a street engine the above figures are realistic.

It is showing a beautiful smooth torque and horsepower curve and quite big numbers with the 570.........much better than the traditional Andrews 31 cam.

I strongly suggest you talk to Magnacharger and get some advice from them as if you are over the top in your component choices......you will destroy the motor and it can and most likely will be catastrophic....and then some!!!

Dont get me wrong about this....I love the idea of a puffer on a Harley

(I`d rather be blown than injected!!!!!!! ha!)​

All the best, Ozzie

Can you send me the horsepower numbers your desktop dyno put out?
Thanks
 

·
DHARMA Initiative
Joined
·
5,678 Posts
STARBUCK said:
...Usually we
set up 9 PSI for 91 oct. gas with 8.5:1 compression. ...

That's the way Bill set mine up. Engine is completly stock, 98 EVO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jockeyshift said:
That's the way Bill set mine up. Engine is completly stock, 98 EVO.

They are providing some excellent guidance, I'm glad to hear you had good luck with yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,460 Posts
STARBUCK said:
Can you send me the horsepower numbers your desktop dyno put out?
Thanks
I got your pm before reading this so have sent the details to you by private message.

If Magnacharger says you can safely go to 9 psi boost then the numbers show 150/150 on my desk top dyno and down to 125/125 for a boost of 6psi and a comp ratio of 7psi.
Again the desk top dyno shows you to have major detonation at 9psi boost.

It is a desk top dyno and I can not prove any of the numbers other than getting feed back from the various members I have given results to and these were for cam choices and engine combos only.


All the best, Ozzie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ozzie In Arabia said:
I got your pm before reading this so have sent the details to you by private message.

If Magnacharger says you can safely go to 9 psi boost then the numbers show 150/150 on my desk top dyno and down to 125/125 for a boost of 6psi and a comp ratio of 7psi.
Again the desk top dyno shows you to have major detonation at 9psi boost.

It is a desk top dyno and I can not prove any of the numbers other than getting feed back from the various members I have given results to and these were for cam choices and engine combos only.


All the best, Ozzie
Thanks for the feedback Ozzie, the engine will be tuned on the dyno so if it starts acting up we can shut her down.

I am concerned with the integrity of the TC with these horsepower numbers myself also.

It will be a slow build over winter so I have time to decide what exactly to do, right now I'm gathering parts and info.

The blower and heads are on order and I will decide on additional parts over the course of a couple of months.

Thanks again Starbuck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I finally got around to installing the Supercharger it took almost a year to get a gear drive from them, talk about a pain.

But on a surprise note the Magnacharger bolted right up without many problems and fired right up the first time I cranked her over.

I followed my instructions for the S&S E Drilling the the pump nozzle to 1.1811 MM #56 drill bit and adjusted my tension on the accelerator pump spring by cutting it.

I Jetted my intermediate jet to a .029 they called for .030 to .036 and my main to a .090 they called for a .092 to .135. Runs strong plug readings are good.

I also adjusted my Twin Tec to Initial 5 Advance slope to 5.

I'm running 100 Octane fuel available here at the pump on the Island. Every expectation met running like a raped ape.

I would of preferred to Dyno her but, here on Okinawa Japan believe it or not it is hard to find a Dyno. Maybe if I can make it out to mainland japan this year I will try to get her done there. Also I will need to upgrade the stock clutch as I can already feel it slipping.
Starbuck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
590 Posts
Glad it all worked out, that's a nice bike!

Got any pics with the charger on it?
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top