V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a Mass Air Flow Fuel Injection System for H-D's?

·
Administrator
11,239 Posts
From what I understand a Mass Air Flow sensor needs a more consistent flow of air than a 2 cylinder Harley engine will draw. This makes it impractical for use on a Harley, not to mention the large ugly sensor that would be required.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
springer- said:
From what I understand a Mass Air Flow sensor needs a more consistent flow of air than a 2 cylinder Harley engine will draw. This makes it impractical for use on a Harley, not to mention the large ugly sensor that would be required.
Thats right, with 4 cylinders and less the intake air flow is bidirectional and the pulses are additive, therefore the wrong flow data because the sensor does not detect direction, just flow, whether it's in or out. If they could blank out the wrong direction flow and smooth the pulses through signal processing, it is possible to do but the volume of production for efi Harleys is too low to justify the R&D expense to make it reality. Therefore we get speed density which requires a recal anytime we make a change to the "system".

·
Just pidlin'
982 Posts
Reed valve

I understand what you all are saying, I wonder if anyone has tried a reed valve on a Harley, That would stop the pulses.

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I have to ask 'Why?' As the the previous posters have said, MAF sensors need a constant air flow to be effective/accurate. A reed valve would stop the 'back' flow, but you would still have pulsed air flow through the sensor.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. These have been enlightening answers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts