V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone knows the percentage of parts on a Harley that are actually made in the USA. I realize that they are assembled here, but as far as the parts are concerned I sometimes wonder. It appears that most of the HD accessories are made overseas, including the clothes.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Do a Google, but his is pretty accurate, something may have changed, but you should be proud Tenn is responsible for the starter, not starter no riding..:hystria:

h-d filters are made by purolator

the new forged wheels come from Alcoa.

The new fuel injection is a made by Delphi which is GM (Delco was it's old name)

Lower cases and cylinders are cast by Mercury Marine Illinois)

electronics (Module) are now made by Delphi,

forks and shocks are from Showa USA!

Starter motor - manufactured in Marryville TN

Brakes - Vadlex - Ohio

bearings, INA

Dunlop tires are made in the USA

Harley-Davidson, Inc. employs some 8,000 people. Corporate headquarters are in Milwaukee,Wis. The Company’’s production facilities are located in the Milwaukee area, East Troy andTomahawk, Wis.; York, Pa.; and Kansas City, Mo.

Menominee Falls - builds big twin engines and transmissions

Wauwatosa - manufactures Sportster and Buell engine and transmissions

Tomahawk - a plastic-forming and painting facility for saddlebags, fairings,Tour Packs, sidecars and windshields.

Franklin - parts and accessories distribution center.

Willie G. Davidson Product Development Center, Milwaukee - Engineering and Purchasing Departments.

York Pennsylvania - production of Softail and Touring bikes

Kansas City Missouri - production of Dyna, Sportster, and V-Rod bikes

This is a few years old.

I was at the Wauwatosa plant in 2003, pretty impressive operation, got a private tour 'cause I got there late, pretty friendly staff.

·
Registered
660 Posts
hey Tequilla, Its spelled Maryville!! ....but now you got to know how to pronounce it too so folks don't think your an out a towner!.....
You got to say "Murrvul"!!... thats the local lingo!.... lol :clap:

·
155" R&R TwinCam
3,437 Posts
Do a Google, but his is pretty accurate, something may have changed, but you should be proud Tenn is responsible for the starter, not starter no riding..:hystria:

h-d filters are made by purolator

the new forged wheels come from Alcoa.

The new fuel injection is a made by Delphi which is GM (Delco was it's old name)

Lower cases and cylinders are cast by Mercury Marine Illinois)

electronics (Module) are now made by Delphi,

forks and shocks are from Showa USA!

Brakes - Vadlex - Ohio

bearings, INA

Dunlop tires are made in the USA

Harley-Davidson, Inc. employs some 8,000 people. Corporate headquarters are in Milwaukee,Wis. The Company’’s production facilities are located in the Milwaukee area, East Troy andTomahawk, Wis.; York, Pa.; and Kansas City, Mo.

Menominee Falls - builds big twin engines and transmissions

Wauwatosa - manufactures Sportster and Buell engine and transmissions

Tomahawk - a plastic-forming and painting facility for saddlebags, fairings,Tour Packs, sidecars and windshields.

Franklin - parts and accessories distribution center.

Willie G. Davidson Product Development Center, Milwaukee - Engineering and Purchasing Departments.

York Pennsylvania - production of Softail and Touring bikes

Kansas City Missouri - production of Dyna, Sportster, and V-Rod bikes

This is a few years old.

I was at the Wauwatosa plant in 2003, pretty impressive operation, got a private tour 'cause I got there late, pretty friendly staff.
Thanks Tequila,good to know.Been riding these twins a lot of years and used to get a little antzy listening to all the negativity from some boneheads about our HD twins,and where some of the parts come from.In this day and age with greedy big business the people running them,and politicians in thier pockets,just no sense in worrying about where the parts come from as long as they go Potato,Potato.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How much of our bikes are made in The USA ??
Less than there was 100 years ago... And more than will be made here in another 100 years..
I'm with dog though... As long as they make the sound, and remain the icon that they are today, they'll continue selling plenty of bikes to avid riders...
It's like sitting behind the wheel of a corvette... You may not KNOW you want a Corvette... You may even think you DON'T want a corvette... But drive one, you immediately become immersed in the "feeling" of it, the sounds, the power, etc... And then you want a corvette.. Harleys are the same way.. But, I like bugs in my teeth.... So I opted for a Road King instead of a Corvette... LOL

·
Registered
629 Posts
How 'bout the steel tubing for the frame? Where does that come from? I know they bend and weld it here but what is the origin of the tubing?

Purolator is now owned by the Germans.

·
Banned
6,957 Posts
I heard the figures years ago. I don't remember exactly what they were but there was two figures. One was the percent of the bike's parts that were made overseas. The other was the percent of the bike's value that was made overseas. The two figures were different.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
From what i've read, on new vehicles, 85% of the parts need to be produced in the USA in order for it to carry the "made in USA" label. This has absolutely nothing to do with aftermarket parts. You will find the majority of HD parts - unless it's an OEM stock part - are made oversees.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
hey Tequilla, Its spelled Maryville!! ....but now you got to know how to pronounce it too so folks don't think your an out a towner!.....
You got to say "Murrvul"!!... thats the local lingo!.... lol :clap:
I've been to Tenn many times, and I'm here to tell you no matter how I pronounce it.....I'll always be an out of towner..:hystria:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I do have a funny story on the subject, a guy I know that made the switch from Honda to HD became on of them guys that eats breaths and chits HD, instant Japanese bike hater, well one day he walked into the dealer to pick up a replacement clucth for his RK, I happened to be at the dealer on that day when I heard this guy having a huge fit, well it was him, inside the HD box was another box containing clutch, and stamped on it......"made in Japan" .......it was priceless

1 - 10 of 10 Posts