V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now with tyre fitted & mounted in leafers. Next job is the brake arm torque link.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's been quite a while since any progress happened.
Front brake torque arm is now made & fitted. Ran a suitable sized end mill between the two fork legs,

Made a mounting point for the arm,

Got a mate to weld it in place,

Job done.

Just waiting for the caliper mounting arm now. I decided to get it CNC'd this time instead of doing it myself on a manual millar. Not sure when I'll get this now because of all the "you-know-what-virus".
In the mean time I did get a suitable seat & another replica Indian horn ready for mounting once I get the frame made.

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Your freaking builds are off the charts. Just awesome to look at.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Reactions: duuude

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, it's been a while since I made any progress, but I've just got my front brake arm back from the machiners.
I made the last one myself on my mates manual Bridgeport, but thought I get this one CNC'd 'cos I felt lazy !

DSCN3658.JPG

Got to sit down now & work out the size of the spacers I need to get it & the caliper aligned.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another little job completed today. Finished the parts to mount the fuel tanks, (not got the frame yet, but nothing like being prepared !).
This bike is going to have two fuel tanks or one tank, but in two halves !, mounted in the "normal" place. There's a few reasons for this change over the previous build.
1) Range, because the tank fitted between the top two frame tubes on the first bike capacity & hence range suffered, (not so bad in our country, it being small ish). Hopefully having two tanks will increase the range, ( on previous bike I needed to be looking for fuel every 50 miles) because they can be made taller & they'll be wider at the back. Might get up to 70 miles on this bike, which would make a big difference. I've already run out of fuel at least three times up to now !!
2) Just for a change so it doesn't look too like the other one.
3) I could fit the Thunderheart unit & some of the other electrics like the magneto cut-out relay inbetween the two tanks, which will leave more room in the battery area for the battery itself, ignition switch & fuses.

I made a couple of basic formers to bend the top two mounts round, (as they are going to follow the contour on the top frame tube). Then heated up the two brackets, positioned them in said formers on my press & bent them. The bottom two mounts will remain flat. I already had turned the mounting bosses for the tanks & the brass spacers for the rubbers. The screws are M6 for the top mounts & M8 for the bottom mounts, (metric 'cos we is in Europe !!;)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Caliper arrived yesterday for the rear brake. Got my measuring implements out to get some dimensions for a mounting bracket. Funny isn't it, you measure between two points five times & get five different results ! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Funny isn't it, you measure between two points five times & get five different results ! :rolleyes:
And I thought it was just me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CAT3

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Collecting a 3D print of my rear caliper mount tomorrow to try for size. I just love this new fangled 3D printing gadgetry !!(y)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Seems to fit & line up OK, just need to get the final one machined now out of aluminium.

The two white plastic spacers will not be there on the finished part, the 3D printer bed was too small to fit the bracket on so we had to take 5mm off those mounting points to get it to fit on the bed !

21 - 32 of 32 Posts