V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it had to happen. You finish one build & in my case, my first, then you start to think about what you're going to do with all the bits left over & the next minute you're planning the next one !

So, here's the first big lump, the forks. It's going to be much the same as the first Métis I built with the same front perimeter brake setup, but with Leafer front forks instead of Springers, narrower rear wheel/tyre (200 at the biggest) & slightly more ground clearance (maybe an inch ish).
Engine wise I'm really not sure yet. I might use another S&S 93" P-series Panhead, or an Indian P100, or even a modern Indian Scout engine. I'd really like to use another Morris magneto too so that might limit engine choices. We'll see, I don't have to decide until I order the frame.

https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=244214&stc=1&d=1548171938

Hopefully it won't take ten years like the first one !!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
Looking forward to it.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I wish I was so creative. I just cobble stuff together in my head and if I ever have the money I might actually get some help to build it.

Looking forward to living vicariously through your build.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Well, it had to happen. You finish one build & in my case, my first, then you start to think about what you're going to do with all the bits left over & the next minute you're planning the next one !

So, here's the first big lump, the forks. It's going to be much the same as the first Métis I built with the same front perimeter brake setup, but with Leafer front forks instead of Springers, narrower rear wheel/tyre (200 at the biggest) & slightly more ground clearance (maybe an inch ish).
Engine wise I'm really not sure yet. I might use another S&S 93" P-series Panhead, or an Indian P100, or even a modern Indian Scout engine. I'd really like to use another Morris magneto too so that might limit engine choices. We'll see, I don't have to decide until I order the frame.

https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=244214&stc=1&d=1548171938

Hopefully it won't take ten years like the first one !!
Wow! I really like that front end and I'm with you on the magneto... and on a P-series... Very cool.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I wish I was so creative. I just cobble stuff together in my head and if I ever have the money I might actually get some help to build it.

Looking forward to living vicariously through your build.
Right. I can assemble a bike from scratch no problem, but coming up with new ideas and then creating the parts aint happening.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made a start on the front end over the weekend.
Made the mounting posts for the perimeter disc, all twelve of them & the right-hand spacer for the front wheel.

https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=244368&stc=1&d=1549386091

Last mounting post being tapped.

https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=244368&stc=1&d=1549386091

Posts mounted to the drilling/welding jig.

https://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=244372&stc=1&d=1549386216

Lower front wheel spacer is the real one, the white delrin upper spacer is a dummy, to hold the hub central until I've made the front caliper mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fitted some grease nipples in my leafer fork arms today to make lubing a bit easier.

DSCN3238.JPG

DSCN3240.JPG

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got offered a 21" Night Train front wheel by a mate the other day, which I gratefully received !
I already had a spool hub so thought this wheel, if straight & true, would save me building my spool hub up twice. So, I machined up another adaptor to centralise my jig & four temporary mounts to locate the jig in place as the mounting holes are drill in the rim.
Here's the wheel ready for machining.

DSCN3253.JPG

·
Registered
17,337 Posts
So, I machined up another adaptor to centralise my jig....
Color me green with envy.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got my front wheel back from the wheel builder yesterday so managed to mock the front end up before I commit to getting the brake caliper arm machined up.
First picture is with the "dummy" disc fitted to the wheel & a 3D print of the caliper arm.
Second picture, the wheel has the finished disc fitted.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
nice... keep us updated

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do the leafs face forward or rearward?
They face forward, same as the old Indians.
I'm going for that old Indian look for this next build. Otherwise this bike will look much like the previous bike I built. This one will have slightly more ground clearance, a narrower rear wheel & a fuel tank in two halves. That's the plan anyway, but could well change during the build !!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the tyre & tube fitted to the front wheel today. Then refitted the perimeter disc & then balanced it up. Front wheel is now finished.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts