V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read comments on lugging (just don't lug her). As you may have seen I have a 98 Road King FI Police model. When riding with my brother in laws I seem to get caught between gears, rolling along at about 2K on the tach in 5th gear, they don't ride Harleys so our gearing is different. If I down shift to 4th it's alittle over 3K and seems alittle high for cruising. Also around town 35mph equals 2K in one gear 3K in another. Remember I'm a Bagger not a racer. It doesn't knock at 2K but I thought I read in here not to run her at 2K. You guys are great with the low down so any info would be appreciated. What do you consider lugging?
Thanks Dan

·
old timer
516 Posts
2,000 RPM is lugging it. If you had to lay on the throttle at all at 2,000 you'd be abusing it.

3,000 RPM is a fine RPM for cruising. At 70 MPH my RoadGlide is spinning happily at just a hair over 3,000. It likes that RPM. I regularly run at 3,000 RPM in fourth gear when not on freeways. On twisties I ride in third gear at 3,000 RPM if the road calls for that speed.

The danger is not BEING at 2,000 RPM, but when you need to grab a little throttle from 2,000RPM you are really loading the lower end of the engine. You need not be concerned about running at 3,000.

manny

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Manny. Just to clarify, when I need to grab a little throttle I do down shift. Glad you and the other I.H.R. had a good time in the Redwoods. I live about an hours ride from Sequoia Park, that is a nice ride through those redwoods also.
Thanks again, Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts