V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now got 300+ miles on my new 2006 Sporty. I've been following the guidelines, mostly, for the break in. But, I used to ride way back when my Honda CB450 was new ('60's). It liked revs, and if it had them already going when you twisted the throttle it really went. No revs = No go on that bike. The Sporty OM says shift to 3rd at 23. I take that to mean that in 3rd at 23 mph or higher you're not lugging. Sure sounds and feels like lugging to me though. On the other hand, I'm a big fan of torque and that had a lot to do with choosing the Sporty when I decided to ride once again. If I'm not lugging by following that shift schedule I'm lovin the sound and the feeling like there's no bottom end to the power. Anybody with an opinion on this?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
my wife has a 05 1200c and it shifts from 1st to second around 20 mph when shifting normally. and each 10 mph up to next gear after. higher speeds when getting on it, higher rpms. I hope that helps, because yes it's lugging shifting like that.

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the post

Sounds like you agree with me that the owner's manual upshift speeds are low. I double checked just now, and HD recommends shifting at 15, 25, 35, and 45 going to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Using 45 in 5th particularly feels way low, but ya have to wonder why that's the spec. Anyway, thanks for the comparison.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have to agree with brownjams. On my 05' 1200C, I shift to 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30 and so on. I read the same thing in the owners manual. It must be a mistake just like the oil capacity.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think HD is thinking the shifting with a 125lb person, no extras added to the bike and sloooooow take off/acceleration. I am 225lbs and can use there shifting recommendation w/o lugging, but I need to travel 2mi before I am able to get into 5th. If also helps if you are going down hill!

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
D's got it I'll bet. Get a light enough rider and the HD specs would work. I go out at 150 lbs and with all the gear on it's probably 160 lbs. Guess I gotta eat less or shift higher. This all starts because the limit around my house is 25 mph and the CVPD is pretty aggressive with radar. 25 in 2nd has been sitting right in a lean spot and 25 in 3rd feels just a little bit like lugging. I just finished adding stage 1 (rejetted with Yost, SE AC, and SEII cut offs) yesterday. It was too late to tweak on the mixture, but I went around the block once before it got too dark to work in the garage and it felt smoother by far. Maybe the lean spot's gone and end of problem. Thanks D. That's gotta be the answer. Sorry about writing a book here...

·
Registered
56 Posts
lugging sportster

i have the same issue with my new 2005 1200c (lugging) i was told to hold it longer in gear and i do so far so good second gear shift at around 20-25mph 3rd.shift at 30-35 4th at 40 and 5th at 60mph with this no lugging except when around town when you hold it in second untill youre creeping to go to 1st while moving mine is all stock no nothing

·
Banned
871 Posts
bclerk said:
I've now got 300+ miles on my new 2006 Sporty. I've been following the guidelines, mostly, for the break in. But, I used to ride way back when my Honda CB450 was new ('60's). It liked revs, and if it had them already going when you twisted the throttle it really went. No revs = No go on that bike. The Sporty OM says shift to 3rd at 23. I take that to mean that in 3rd at 23 mph or higher you're not lugging. Sure sounds and feels like lugging to me though. On the other hand, I'm a big fan of torque and that had a lot to do with choosing the Sporty when I decided to ride once again. If I'm not lugging by following that shift schedule I'm lovin the sound and the feeling like there's no bottom end to the power. Anybody with an opinion on this?
I just shift when it feels right. You should be able to tell when it's ready to shift. If your rpms drop below 2000, then you are lugging it. You need to downshift to get them back up again. When I'm cruising around town at 20 mph, I'm in 2nd gear, 30 mph, I'm in 3rd gear, and I shift to 4th when I'm close to 40 mph. Always keep it above 2000 when riding and you won't have any trouble.

·
Registered
107 Posts
2006 Xl1200c

I agree. The shifting guidelines are absurd. If you're really up there, the rev limiter will kick in. I've yet to hit it.
And on oil capacity,..........I've found it to about what the book says, 3.6 QTS. TOTAL. Yes, hang in 3rd gear alot.............
Steve

·
Bugs
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the posts. The Stage 1 is installed and short of a dyno (the bike's too new still) it's dialed in. Runs great and handles slower speeds much, much better. F* the California EPA mods! Gentle in 3rd @ 30 feels about right. The HD OM is nuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts