V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
I ran one of those 7-inchers on my Sporty. They are made by Motherwell's in Canada. They are a good company and make quality chit. My Sporty solo was not the sturdiest mounting though. You could store 10 lbs of gear but not much more because they mount to a single hole in the fender. What kind of solo seat are you running? I use the H-D solo rack on my Deluxe with the H-D detachable kit. Works great, looks clean, and is really sturdy.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I have a friend with one on his FXST...says about the same thing as Chris..it kinda keeps stuff off the paint but don't load it up...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HD-LUX said:
I ran one of those 7-inchers on my Sporty. They are made by Motherwell's in Canada. They are a good company and make quality chit. My Sporty solo was not the sturdiest mounting though. You could store 10 lbs of gear but not much more because they mount to a single hole in the fender. What kind of solo seat are you running? I use the H-D solo rack on my Deluxe with the H-D detachable kit. Works great, looks clean, and is really sturdy.

I didn't know about that H-D rack, might have to get that one instead. I have the detachable hardware already installed so I can use the backrest when I daughter rides. I have the Corbin Classic Solo seat. Do you know the part number for the one on your bike? Looks great.

Thanks for the replies, guys,

Trey

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
69 Z-28 said:
... Do you know the part number for the one on your bike?
The H-D rack is solid, mounts at 4 locations and is pretty good chrome. You really can't go wrong if you like the look. The H-D PN#: is 53649-05. If you already have the docking HW you are half way there. Here is a link to the catalog online. Zanotti's sells this with free shipping $156.89. Here is their online catalog look-up. And like you say, you can toss on the passenger pillion and the detachable sissy bar and you are 2-up!

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
I bought one of the racks shown on the ebay site about two months ago, and I like it a lot. The rear mounts to the fender center bolt where the pillion seat normally mounts and the front mounts to each side of the fender bracket. I wouldn't haul concrete blocks on it, but it is pretty sturdy. That center hole takes almost the total load from a pillion seat, so it should be able to handle the rear half load of the rack OK, within reason anyhow.

The price was right too, and the chrome looked good. I also liked the way the shape followed the fender.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Here's the harley rack on a fatboy. Some variety: black instead of chrome, mounted backwards so I wouldn't have to relocate the rear turn signals.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Go with the H-D rack. I had a Motherwells on my Heritage, and I have a square dent on my rear fender where it was mounted. I carried too much stuff on it, but if you are going to use it for any kind of load, it will screw up your fender.
By the way, mine dented because I carried about 50 pounds of gear on it on a cross country trip and went down one too many rough roads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts