V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I need to add some goodies to my RK before my trek to Biketoberfest next month.

I own a Mustang Regal Touring Seat (PN# 75465) and have ordered the driver's backrest kit (PN# 79063) and passenger backrest pad (PN#79073).

My question is which luggage rack is appropriate? HD has one (PN#53341-97A) that looks right, but I thought I'd ask the collective prior to dropping $200 on "looks right".

TIA,

wyodude

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
I was going to get the one that you have listed for my King, I like the looks of that one, does not look to big, like one other that Harley offers;)

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK,

Let me answer my own question. In view of my desire to maintain maximum flexibility, I opted to go with a detachable passenger backrest (PN# 52933-97A;BACKREST KIT, LOW-DETACH. 97/LTR - FLHR ) and a detachable rack (PN# 53743-97; KIT, 2 UP NOSTALGIC 97 FLHR).

This solution requires 4 (count 'em 4!) docking kits. The detachable back rest requires (PNs# 53450-97A;DOCKING KIT, PASSNGR BACKRST-94/LTR FLHR and 53104-97A;FRONT HARDWARE DOCKING KIT - FLHR) while the 2-up rack requires (PNs# 53127-96B; KIT, REAR DOCKING MOUNT, 94-LATER FLHR and 53746-97A;T, FRONT DOCKING, FLHR, 2 UP).

Here's how she looks:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..and with the rack and backrest off. Red arrows indicate the docking points.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, hit submit to quickly

·
Registered
688 Posts
wyodude, have you loaded the rack yet? I want to get pretty much the same settup on my RKC. Was the docking hardware a no brainer to install or a pain in the a$$? Dam that seat looks nice!! Did you go through Mustang or another online dealer? Also do you know if Mustang customer service will be nice if seat was bought elsewhere?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cromagnum,

I'm loading her up on Monday for a ride down to Daytona, FL.

There are only two issues related to the install; first, the docking kits are made to work for a range of years, e.g, '94-'96 FLHRs follow these instructions, '97 and later follow a slightly different set (both provided). The slightly confusing issue is that you get *all* the hardware necessary for *either* set-up. In the end you'll have lots of left over fasteners, spacers, etc.

For the second issue, please see the photos I posted. The one with the red arrows. The hex head nut immediately to the right of the second arrow (from the left) was a real ***** to put in. You need to align the the rear docking point bracket, the saddle bag support bracket, and the frame. I had to get some help with this part (an extra set of hands).

Discounting the two afternoons I spent dealing with a stripped torx bolt, it took about 3-4 hours to figure it out, install the hardware and get it adjusted.

wyo

·
Registered
688 Posts
wyodude, Thanx, too bad you had such a sh!tty time with that @#%$^ torx bolt.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cromagnum,

I forgot to answer the rest of your question. I bought that seat directly from Mustang. Since then, I have also purchased the driver's back rest and the passenger's backrest. Both transactions were very smooth and both times I had my parts within two days.

I know that there are other parts places that sell Mustang seats (some give as much as 15-20% off list:eek: ).

Don't know about the warranty issues. Give 'em a call 800-243-1392 (M-F, 9-5 EST).

wyo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts