V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Free agent
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Amsoil 20-50 in engine case and clutch and Severe gear in tranny for quite some time. Bike seems to run OK but other than it running cooler, I didn't feel much difference in shifting or smoothness of anything. I had just heard a lot of good things about it so decided to give it a try. I have talked several of my buddies into purchasing the oil and just recently, one of them started to notice harder shifting and when he took it to the Harley dealership they told him the following. (We know that the HD service department NEVER says anything that is not documented and true!!...Right!!) They said that they had case files..all one of them, where the Amsoil product provided excellent lubrication and lowered heat ranges but did not provide enough viscosity. This lack of viscosity or breakdown was traced to the failure of a 2005 screamin eagle (?)'s engine. Amsoil was trying to wiggle their way out of buying this customer an engine by trying to show whatever they could that the guy did not do what was essential to maintain the bike properly.
My question is this. #1 Has anyone experienced any difficulties with Amsoil...and if so...What???
#2 Has anyone tried Lucas Oil synthetic products for motorcycles? What have been your opinions or results?
Lucas oil has a phenominal reputation throughout the automotive repair business and you can go into many chain parts stores and ask them what their best oil additives are and 90-100 times...Lucas name will come up as the #1 product.
I know by other posts that people use a variety of lubricants from Mobil 1 to KY jelly for their bikes...but I'm really curious about Lucas vs. Amsoil. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Lucas electrical

I had a 1969 Bonnie and of course the electrics were about as dependable as a freaking candle in a Hurricane.

Lucas oil products are reported to be excellent and I use them in all the cars and van. I also was wondering about my Softail. Harley mechanics aren't going to be honest. The U.S military uses Lucas...but that could be good OR bad.

Wish somebody could answer. If they are like the English Lucas, then bloody no!!!!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
mr. breeze said:
I had a 1969 Bonnie and of course the electrics were about as dependable as a freaking candle in a Hurricane.

Lucas oil products are reported to be excellent and I use them in all the cars and van. I also was wondering about my Softail. Harley mechanics aren't going to be honest. The U.S military uses Lucas...but that could be good OR bad.

Wish somebody could answer. If they are like the English Lucas, then bloody no!!!!!
i had a hurricane. good looking 30 mpg screamer

·
Registered
81 Posts
To be fair and Honest! I do not care what oil you use, if there is a problem with anything and the oil was to be blamed from the Mechanic, I bet you will get disputes from ALL of them! They have Lawyers and such who get paid to find YOUR fualt in how you maint. it!
As for Lucus oil or any other oil, it is like filling your car with gas! Do you really see a difference in gas??? NO you do not, because as the oil companies are filling the pipelines they are taking out of the pipelines, which means that the oil they are putting in is not the same oil they are taking out at the other end!
Amsoil did a nice job with their "White papers" making people think that in every test, even if it were run slightly different would come out the same! I bet, if the other oils had a chance to test their products (AND FOUND IT TO BE WORTH THE EFFORT) they would come out with different results!
I say find a oil that works for you and use it! I do not think any oil that is marketed is BAD for your engine as long as it meets the correct rating as the owners manual says to use!
I found this study to be interesting! This is not ment to make 1 out over the other, but as I like to look at it as being they are not that far apart either!

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/oil-life.html

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
ahill said:
To be fair and Honest! I do not care what oil you use, if there is a problem with anything and the oil was to be blamed from the Mechanic, I bet you will get disputes from ALL of them! They have Lawyers and such who get paid to find YOUR fualt in how you maint. it!
As for Lucus oil or any other oil, it is like filling your car with gas! Do you really see a difference in gas??? NO you do not, because as the oil companies are filling the pipelines they are taking out of the pipelines, which means that the oil they are putting in is not the same oil they are taking out at the other end!
Amsoil did a nice job with their "White papers" making people think that in every test, even if it were run slightly different would come out the same! I bet, if the other oils had a chance to test their products (AND FOUND IT TO BE WORTH THE EFFORT) they would come out with different results!
I say find a oil that works for you and use it! I do not think any oil that is marketed is BAD for your engine as long as it meets the correct rating as the owners manual says to use!
I found this study to be interesting! This is not ment to make 1 out over the other, but as I like to look at it as being they are not that far apart either!

The "White Paper" was done by an independant lab.

Lucas does a lot of smoke and mirrors type marketing to make you think their stuff works. When ever a company has to do that. More than likely their stuff does not work that well. In the world of motor oils. Chemistry is everything.

·
Registered
81 Posts
wkohn said:
The "White Paper" was done by an independant lab.

Lucas does a lot of smoke and mirrors type marketing to make you think their stuff works. When ever a company has to do that. More than likely their stuff does not work that well. In the world of motor oils. Chemistry is everything.
Yes, sure Indipendent lab! Why then when you go on their web page, it appears they and Amsoil are together? As it showed in the Oil Study, I am not saying Amsoil is Bad, but either is any other Synthetic oil!

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
ahill said:
Yes, sure Indipendent lab! Why then when you go on their web page, it appears they and Amsoil are together? As it showed in the Oil Study, I am not saying Amsoil is Bad, but either is any other Synthetic oil!
The lab is not owned by Amsoil. So that does make it independant. Meaning they will do testing for anybody.

·
Registered
81 Posts
wkohn said:
The lab is not owned by Amsoil. So that does make it independant. Meaning they will do testing for anybody.
I bet Amsoil Paid them too is that correct?
When you go on the Labs own web page, their oil sample kits just happens to have Amsoil on the sampler tool??? How well placed is this?
If I use Mobil 1, will they send me a Mobil tool?

http://www.oaitesting.com/page1.htm

As I said, Amsoil might be Good oil, but other name brand oils will do just as good a job as any!
This can go on if you like, but this is like talking to a Salesman who sold Fords this week and then sell Chevrolets next week! It all depends on what side of the fence you are standing on!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ahill said:

to be fair and honest, i was referring to their snake oil :ntlgh: ADDITIVES:ntlgh: and not their oil, which if it meets current recognised standards, must be ok

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
ahill said:
I bet Amsoil Paid them too is that correct?
When you go on the Labs own web page, their oil sample kits just happens to have Amsoil on the sampler tool??? How well placed is this?
If I use Mobil 1, will they send me a Mobil tool?

http://www.oaitesting.com/page1.htm

As I said, Amsoil might be Good oil, but other name brand oils will do just as good a job as any!
This can go on if you like, but this is like talking to a Salesman who sold Fords this week and then sell Chevrolets next week! It all depends on what side of the fence you are standing on!
Well the lab wasn't going to run the test for free. So yes Amsoil did pay them. Amsoil does have their own in house lab (I believe) so they pretty much had a good idea where they would end up on a lot of the tests.

Amsoil sampler tool. If you see a good tool that you know works well. Might you use it in a pictures to show people what to get?

Mobil by the way does not sell a tool so they couldn't give you one of theirs.

If other brand name oils are just as good. I have a brand name for you to use in your bike. Walmart. It is good stuff. Made by them. Well maybe not. But it is made by a major oil company for them. If you don't believe on how good their oil is just go ask the local Chevrolet salesman.

·
Registered
81 Posts
wkohn said:
Well the lab wasn't going to run the test for free. So yes Amsoil did pay them. Amsoil does have their own in house lab (I believe) so they pretty much had a good idea where they would end up on a lot of the tests.

Amsoil sampler tool. If you see a good tool that you know works well. Might you use it in a pictures to show people what to get?

Mobil by the way does not sell a tool so they couldn't give you one of theirs.

If other brand name oils are just as good. I have a brand name for you to use in your bike. Walmart. It is good stuff. Made by them. Well maybe not. But it is made by a major oil company for them. If you don't believe on how good their oil is just go ask the local Chevrolet salesman.

Well, I see you must sell Amsoil, like everyone else who "PUSHES" this stuff!
I seem to recall, when you do a oil sampling from labs, they will send you the kit that is needed! I believe Blackstone will send it for free and charge you for the test!
And as far as your comment about Walmart, what are you smoking? I said NAME BRAND oil such as Mobil,Pennzoil,Quakerstate, And Valvoline just to name afew! Oil brands that are actually in the buisness not Generic oil names!
As for Chevrolet, they will tell me to use Mobil 1! You know the oil that come standard in Corvettes, Cadillacs and even Dodge Vipers to name afew!
I have not seen ANY Auto manufatures spec Amsoil have you? These people design engines, and if we want to believe everything we hear, then they of all people would know what to use in their products!
But, If the question is if I put the proper weight Walmart oil in my bike, would it break my engine, I do not think so! Harley sells a Generic form of oil and it has worked for years! Do you think Harley makes their oils?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
ahill said:
I seem to recall, when you do a oil sampling from labs, they will send you the kit that is needed! I believe Blackstone will send it for free and charge you for the test!
And as far as your comment about Walmart, what are you smoking? I said NAME BRAND oil such as Mobil,Pennzoil,Quakerstate, And Valvoline just to name afew! Oil brands that are actually in the buisness not Generic oil names!
As for Chevrolet, they will tell me to use Mobil 1! You know the oil that come standard in Corvettes, Cadillacs and even Dodge Vipers to name afew!
I have not seen ANY Auto manufatures spec Amsoil have you? These people design engines, and if we want to believe everything we hear, then they of all people would know what to use in their products!
But, If the question is if I put the proper weight Walmart oil in my bike, would it break my engine, I do not think so! Harley sells a Generic form of oil and it has worked for years! Do you think Harley makes their oils?
prolly the best site i have found, google "bob is the oil guy". you'll be amazed at the level of education and myth busting. worked for me:chopper:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
ahill said:
I was pushing Amsoil before I started selling it. Go figure.

Walmart is a name brand. If you put you name on a product and then sell it. That makes it a name brand. Very simple concept. Kind of like Pennzoil, Quaker State and Valvoline which I am not certain of are all bottled at the same plant. At least two of those are bottled in the same plant on the same line. Just different colored bottles and labels.

Any good GM dealership will tell you that Mister Goodwrench makes the best oil and that all GM cars use it.

Harley has their oil, for what I have read on this forum, made by Citco. Citco I believe is controlled by Chavez in Venezuela who happens to want all Americans dead.

·
Registered
81 Posts
wkohn said:
I was pushing Amsoil before I started selling it. Go figure.

Walmart is a name brand. If you put you name on a product and then sell it. That makes it a name brand. Very simple concept. Kind of like Pennzoil, Quaker State and Valvoline which I am not certain of are all bottled at the same plant. At least two of those are bottled in the same plant on the same line. Just different colored bottles and labels.

Any good GM dealership will tell you that Mister Goodwrench makes the best oil and that all GM cars use it.

Harley has their oil, for what I have read on this forum, made by Citco. Citco I believe is controlled by Chavez in Venezuela who happens to want all Americans dead.
Your first line says it all!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
ahill said:

Hey guys take it easy as this thread started out with a simple question about somone slamming an oil, which in this case happens to be my favorite oil and you all know I sell and make my living with Amsoil. I really wouldn't get very excited about what a local harley dealership would tell one about synthetic oil with their track record over the years concerning oil would you? You also know if you have read any of my post that I feel there is many good oils on the market and there really has never been a documented case of any properly rated oil for the application it was used in ever damaging a motor period! Plenty of brands have been blamed though all through the years for mechanical malfunctions of one type or the other. We all have are opinions on oils and most are based on experience, but some are based on myths and rumors and gossip. This is where the internet has flourished and either helped or hurt products.

I will get off my soap box now and if anyone has questions concerning independent labs that Amsoil pays big bucks for testing so they don't get sued take a look at www.swreserach.com. This company does independent work for the military, government, automotive manufactures, and etc. Now for the lab question, for a while Amsoil developed their own oil testing lab in house called oilanalizers, but decided to use an outside lab to keep the perception of being non biased and this gives them a specialized company that would be liable for mistakes. I use a lab for most of my reports from Georgia. I don't know if I answered all the topics or not, but feel free to hit me with a question or statement if you like.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
ahill said:
Your first line says it all!!!!
Well when you sell the best it isn't something to be ashamed of. :Banadance

·
Registered
81 Posts
george douglas said:
Hey guys take it easy as this thread started out with a simple question about somone slamming an oil, which in this case happens to be my favorite oil and you all know I sell and make my living with Amsoil. I really wouldn't get very excited about what a local harley dealership would tell one about synthetic oil with their track record over the years concerning oil would you? You also know if you have read any of my post that I feel there is many good oils on the market and there really has never been a documented case of any properly rated oil for the application it was used in ever damaging a motor period! Plenty of brands have been blamed though all through the years for mechanical malfunctions of one type or the other. We all have are opinions on oils and most are based on experience, but some are based on myths and rumors and gossip. This is where the internet has flourished and either helped or hurt products.

I will get off my soap box now and if anyone has questions concerning independent labs that Amsoil pays big bucks for testing so they don't get sued take a look at www.swreserach.com. This company does independent work for the military, government, automotive manufactures, and etc. Now for the lab question, for a while Amsoil developed their own oil testing lab in house called oilanalizers, but decided to use an outside lab to keep the perception of being non biased and this gives them a specialized company that would be liable for mistakes. I use a lab for most of my reports from Georgia. I don't know if I answered all the topics or not, but feel free to hit me with a question or statement if you like.
Thank you George,
I was not trying to slam any oil, but state exactly what you said! There are many Good oils oil there and sometime people get all worked up over something that is not that big a deal! As I said, Amsoil is Good oil , but that there is others that are Good too! The original Question was they were asking if anyone has had issues with Amsoil and my comment was the same as yours, most of the oils have had issues pointed at them and that it is very difficult to prove when 1 person says 1 thing and another says another!

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Amsoil makes great products. Are they any better than any other top end products? I don't know. What I can say is that George is one of the very best suppliers of out there of any kind of vehicle product. His customer service is tops. Add superb CS to an excellent product..... Yup...I'll buy.

T113

1 - 20 of 42 Posts