V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
I'll be curious about engine noise when you try amsoil. Now that I have quieter pipes, my engine seems louder. I have been running Mobil 1.

rkc
My RK (engine) seemed louder after my ride home from Sturgis. I did burn a quart of oil (mobil 1) in 2000 miles. It has 71000 on it. Maybe i should give the Lucas a try.
Tim

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. I thought a little more about that after I posted.

However, the bike is running decently warm. I will switch to Amsoil in a few weeks and see if it changes. It may not, the Lucas might be just as good, who knows.
The flash point of that oil is 450f. Heck Valvoline 20/50 VR1 conventional is 478 degrees F, thats higher than Amsoil MCV at 464 F. I don't think you got that oil anywhere near that hot.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Probably didn't qtrracer. It seems well. If you are having noise with Mobil1 you will 100% have it with Amsoil. I have ran both for years.

The Lucas 20w50 full synthetic motorcycle oil will make your engine so quiet you won't know it is running.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,417 Posts
These threads are like a bad car wreck, I always swear I'm going to just drive past and not look, but...

I find the general idea of a "review" on oil to be intriguing.

These reviews are always chock full of words like "quiet" and "smooth" and "better" which mean absolutely nothing when it comes right down to it.

For something like oil, the only thing that matters are numbers and real technical information, which for the most part is very hard to find about any of them.

I don't see George as coming in to post advertising. He actually brings reasoning and facts to these otherwise pointless discussions.

Just for the record, water boils at 212 degrees F. When it boils it turns into steam. Steam is too hot to touch and will quickly make anything it touches too hot to touch. When water boils out of hot oil, it makes stuff too hot to touch. If you know something is too hot to touch and your instinct is to grab it and pull it off for no apparent reason, I'm probably not going to be looking to you for a lot of advice.

My primary cover gets too hot to touch after a ride. That doesn't make me think something is wrong or that I am going to "fix it" by switching oils. I would also never be concerned to find out that my oil gets hot enough to boil the water out of it, in fact, I'm really glad it does.

Are some oils "better" than others? I'm sure they are. I want to know WHY it is better, not see a label that tells me I will get "maximum HP and engine protection" by using this oil.

Just so I'm not accused of adding nothing to the discussion, I will say this. I put Syn3 in my 103 this spring. It seemed to "run fine". Form+ in the tranny and primary. No weird noises, shifting is good, no worries. I just picked the same bike up from an indy who did a cam swap and tune on it and he put Amsoil in the motor. I have noticed absolutely no difference in noise or anything else. Any reduction in heat (legometer) would be attributed to the dyno tune, not the oil.

So there. That's what I got. I will try not to rubberneck next time, but we'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
These threads are like a bad car wreck, I always swear I'm going to just drive past and not look, but...

I find the general idea of a "review" on oil to be intriguing.

These reviews are always chock full of words like "quiet" and "smooth" and "better" which mean absolutely nothing when it comes right down to it.

For something like oil, the only thing that matters are numbers and real technical information, which for the most part is very hard to find about any of them.

I don't see George as coming in to post advertising. He actually brings reasoning and facts to these otherwise pointless discussions.

Just for the record, water boils at 212 degrees F. When it boils it turns into steam. Steam is too hot to touch and will quickly make anything it touches too hot to touch. When water boils out of hot oil, it makes stuff too hot to touch. If you know something is too hot to touch and your instinct is to grab it and pull it off for no apparent reason, I'm probably not going to be looking to you for a lot of advice.

My primary cover gets too hot to touch after a ride. That doesn't make me think something is wrong or that I am going to "fix it" by switching oils. I would also never be concerned to find out that my oil gets hot enough to boil the water out of it, in fact, I'm really glad it does.

Are some oils "better" than others? I'm sure they are. I want to know WHY it is better, not see a label that tells me I will get "maximum HP and engine protection" by using this oil.

Just so I'm not accused of adding nothing to the discussion, I will say this. I put Syn3 in my 103 this spring. It seemed to "run fine". Form+ in the tranny and primary. No weird noises, shifting is good, no worries. I just picked the same bike up from an indy who did a cam swap and tune on it and he put Amsoil in the motor. I have noticed absolutely no difference in noise or anything else. Any reduction in heat (legometer) would be attributed to the dyno tune, not the oil.

So there. That's what I got. I will try not to rubberneck next time, but we'll see how that goes. :rolleyes:
I just switched from VR1 20/50 conventional to Mobil1 vtwin , just to do a little data gathering on my own. First of all there was NO increase in noise when going to the Mobil1 NONE. And there was no appreciable change in running temp. Maybe 3 degrees lower, like I stated, not appreciable. If I had done it to someone elses bike without telling them I had switched brands and type of oil, there is ZERO chance they would have known.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
GMan, I wouldn't look to you for any advice either, so no harm no foul. You are not what I would call an astute thinker, lol.

Anyway, I didn't reach down and grab something I KNEW was hot. I said when I pulled the dipstick out it was hot. It wasn't primary cover hot mind you.

You guys run what you like. If you think there is no difference in any of the oils out there, then go pick you up some Shell Rotella and run it. I bet you anything you will be wanting that out of your engine asap.

Remember the old saying, you get what you pay for. That holds true in EVERYTHING in this life. Why didn't you buy a Honda instead of a Harley, it is cheaper so it must be just as good right? lol.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,417 Posts
GMan, I wouldn't look to you for any advice either, so no harm no foul. You are not what I would call an astute thinker, lol.

Anyway, I didn't reach down and grab something I KNEW was hot. I said when I pulled the dipstick out it was hot. It wasn't primary cover hot mind you.

You guys run what you like. If you think there is no difference in any of the oils out there, then go pick you up some Shell Rotella and run it. I bet you anything you will be wanting that out of your engine asap.

Remember the old saying, you get what you pay for. That holds true in EVERYTHING in this life. Why didn't you buy a Honda instead of a Harley, it is cheaper so it must be just as good right? lol.
I'm mildly curious what the basis of your "astute thinker" comment is.

I didn't say there is NO difference between oils. What I said was that you did not tell us what any differences are in your "review".

I mostly believe in getting what you pay for, but it does not apply to "everything".

The question an astute thinker would ask is "do I need a 'better oil'?". If so, better how? How much better? What do I gain for my added expense?

A Honda might be "just as good". What does that mean? I would never assume that cheaper is better and I'm not sure where you got that idea other than a silly assumption. I do recognize that paying more for a Harley has nothing to do with quality, it is for style. If all I cared about was quality and low maintenance, I would ride a Honda, not spend ass loads of time and money and effort trying to find a magical oil.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Now GMan, if you want to meet somewhere and settle this like men, then we will.

I get the first chugg of beer and you can have the next two, sound fair? :beer:

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,417 Posts
Now GMan, if you want to meet somewhere and settle this like men, then we will.

I get the first chugg of beer and you can have the next two, sound fair? :beer:
Sounds fair. :cheers:

You're about 150 miles away from me. That's pretty far for a poser like me to ride in one day. :redrolf:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Pull a freshly baked pumpkin pie out of the oven and put it in the cool outside air in the fall. That steam you see coming off the pie is water. The pie at no point even gets near boiling temp. Same as when oil get to the same temp or higher and it hits cooler air. Condensation. Kinda like clouds in the sky, they aint above boiling point, or rain would cook your skin off. Guess you never seen fog either.

The pumpkin pie is not burning off ligher fractions of hydrocarbons and "steaming" its water silly willy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Fog? What is fog? Never heard of it.

The only thing coming off your pumpkin pie when you sit it outside is the flies........

·
Registered
9 Posts
So whats the verdict on the Lucas oil analysis? I don't like pumpkin pie. I operate boilers for a living and yes, I grab hot things. jpowell490, I appreciate your investment of time and information sharing...

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't know, but while these boys are arguing, can I have a piece of pumpkin pie...please...LOL.
On oil, run good quality Motorcycle oil and change it often...Good to go.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Back to the OP and frequent oil changes and lab tests.

Please don't overdo it! I have a friend who had a girlfriend who suggested that she may need an oil change. Her bike, a Deluxe, was about 3 years old with 15,000 miles on it.

She never changed fluids one time. Never added any oil. Oil did not show on the dip stick when I checked it.

I drained all the fluids, gunk is more accurate. Motor had about 2.5 qts remaining. Filled all three holes with Valvoline 20/50 conventional, and rode it about 5 miles.

Came back and drained that (yuck) and filled it with Harley primary in the primary, Valvoline 20/50 synthetic in the motor, and Valvoline synthetic 75w90 gear oil in the tranny.

Bike runs fine, always has according to her. Never made any noises and when I test rode it it ran fine. No smoke or funny smells.

Use Synthetic 20W50 something, and Formula + in the Primary, and Synthetic 75W140 in the tranny, change motor oil and filter at 5000, Primary at 20,000, and Tranny at 50,000 and you will save enough money for a down payment on a new bike in 100,000 miles. And you probably won't wear out any tools or drain plugs.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Pull a freshly baked pumpkin pie out of the oven and put it in the cool outside air in the fall. That steam you see coming off the pie is water. The pie at no point even gets near boiling temp. Same as when oil get to the same temp or higher and it hits cooler air. Condensation. Kinda like clouds in the sky, they aint above boiling point, or rain would cook your skin off. Guess you never seen fog either.

The pumpkin pie is not burning off ligher fractions of hydrocarbons and "steaming" its water silly willy.
Boris,you need to stick to riding and leave cooking to someone that knows more about it. That pie sees temperatures in the neighborhood of 375 degrees for about 45 minutes or so. Just saying.
George

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Boris is/was prolly correct. The steam coming out was likely just condensation. If I saw that I'd fill the gas tank and take a nice long ride to burn the rest of the condensation off.

And fwiw, when we bake apple pie, it does often boil over..... and it can be a bidch to clean the bottom of the oven. For you bakers out there, a l'll tin foil on the bottom works well :coffee:

·
Registered
83 Posts
ive used lucas oil for the last 30,000 miles of 54,000 mile on my streetglide....i pull a big heavy camper behind me all around the country, and the bike is also my daily driver to work....i switched to lucas from amsoil i hated amsoil mostly because lifter clatter drives me insane and my lifters rattled like crazy with amsoil..... engine is quiet with lucas. currently i have my engine tore down to check things mostly and to change cams....and i must say it looks like a brand spankin new engine inside there....not a speck of metal anywhere in the case. my engine has never run hot with lucas. oh and I change my oil every 5,000 miles.....so, i think im gonna stick with lucas, it has treated me right so far.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I don't get the OP's thinking on his oil changes.I will give him the benefit of doubt on the first one at 50 miles but the subsequent 200,450,600...is just wasting good oil.There is a filter in the system and to think that the engine is wearing to the point that you would even think to need those frequent changes "to get all the metal out" is beyond OCD in my very humble opinion.

I think he is the one who is not critically thinking...if you were to talk to a lubrication engineer he would tell you that the oils job is to clean, transfer heat "cool" and lubricate.

For me, I found that running Synthetic Mobil 1 in my engine increased my engine noise, but I like to run a cam and have never had one that runs as quiet as stock so I take the trade off.I don't put a pile of miles on anymore so I probably do a couple of oil changes per summer.

As for Dino oil,at around 65,000 miles I had a go no go done on my 87 and not one thing failed the test but I did a fresh up anyway just because I had it apart and I sold her with almost 100,000.She never used any oil in all the time I owned her.

As far as Rotella is concerned I would be willing to bet that if you put that in the hole and did regular oil changes you would probably never know the difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trying out the lucas all around!

JUST PICKED UP ALL NEW 20-50 LUCAS AND GEAR LUBE ILL LET YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE ..Mines been shifting not smooth and a clunk as most do,drive train is a noisy ill update you all see how it goes.i had been running v twin mobile-1 20-50 all around ill bet its better.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts