V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I wanted to post my experience with Lucas oils as I don't see a lot of reviews on Lucas. If you are like me, of course you want to run the best, but that is a mixed bag of opinions :coffee:

A little background, I have had 3 Harley Davidson motorcycles in my life, 4 if you count the POS Buell 1125R I had....... I have ran almost every top oil brand you can imagine and I am an Amsoil dealer.

I bought a new 2014 HD Softail Breakout on 07-13-2014. I put 680 miles on the factory oil before I did my first change. I went back and forth between Amsoil, Mobil1 V-twin, Royal Purple, Valvoline VR1, etc. I finally was in O'Reilly's auto and saw the Lucas 20w50 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil. I purchased 6 quarts and 1 quart of Lucas Synthetic 75w140 Gear Oil.

On my 2008 Night Train, I bought it new as well and did a change with Amsoil 20w50 as soon as I got it home and many times after. At 50 miles, 200 miles, 450 miles, 650 miles, and then at 1000 miles. I wanted to make sure all of the metal, etc. was out of the oil.

That was a big mistake and one that I read that you should do. My night train started using about a quart of oil a month. Yes, I broke it in properly, etc. It finally slowed down, but still always used a little bit of oil. I think that changing the oil that soon and that much, hindered the break in process and the rings actually seating. I am sure using synthetic that early didn't help a lot either, but that shouldn't make a huge difference in today's engines.

For the Breakout, I waited until 680 miles. When I drained the engine oil, it was fairly clean until right down to the end of the drip and it started coming out a little powdery looking, hard to describe. No metal shavings period on the drain plug, which was different.

The transmission seemed like it only drained about a half quart. It wasn't even reading on the dipstick. There was some metal shavings on the trans drain plug, nothing crazy, but it was there.

The primary had some shavings as well, actually more than any of the other drain plugs. I assume from the clutch.

This is the smoothest Harley engine I have ever owned. It doesn't run extremely hot like my Night Train did, it isn't overly noisy in the engine or trans. Just very smooth.

It does have a very distinct gear drive sound while moving. I used to have a Pete Jackson noisy gear drive in my street/race cars and it sounds similar to that, just not as loud. I like it :woohoo:

Now while riding down the road as new, you would feel a little bit of engine roughness. I don't want to alarm you with that, it is just something you have to experience. I have rode all of my life and notice things others don't normally. Still smooth, just that harley engine and probably a bit on the lean side, so you hear a lot of stuff almost like pinging in heat.

So I took my time and drained all the other fluids very good. All went without any incident. I do recommend using the 5/8 and not the hex bit on the transmission drain plug. It is wedged a bit to one side of the shocks, so it makes it really hard to get the hex to go up in the slot good, easy to strip.

I used Lucas 20w50 synthetic motorcycle oil in the engine and the primary. I used the Lucas 75w140 synthetic gear oil in the transmission for the record.

The next day I had to stop and get a long funnel to fill the transmission. That dipstick is WAY down in there and hard to access. After filling and letting it idle to make sure there were no leaks, I set off on a 180 mile round trip ride.

The transmission has always had that big CLUNK when putting it in first gear. From the factory, Neutral was harder to find that any other motorcycle I have ever owned. On the Lucas Gear Oil, the transmission shifts very smoothly while moving. It still has that first gear clunk that makes me shiver every time I hear it. I suppose that is normal.

Now for the most impressive thing. I am not exaggerating on this and I am not a Lucas oil paid rep or anything like that. As I started down the interstate, I couldn't hear ANYTHING but the wind. It was almost like I was coasting, never experienced anything like it. I don't think that you could get any quieter of an engine with this oil. Zero engine noise, it even stopped the weird pinging on hot days, etc. It smoothed the engine out more than anything I have ever used. If there was any trace of heat before (there wasn't a lot), then there was an even smaller trace after the Lucas. Just incredible.

Again, I have used Amsoil, Mobil1, Syn3, Royal Purple (Not in Harley Engine), and about every other brand out there. I have never used Red Line in a Harley.

Initial reaction for Lucas 20w50 synthetic motorcycle oil :woohoo::clap:

I will send the oil off to Blackstone Labs after a period of time running in the bike and see what they say. It should give a decent outcome, but the bike is new, so I am sure there will be some wear of course.

The Lucas is hands down the most impressive oil I have ever used in a motorcycle engine.

A few pics for you, click on them to make larger:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Posting a follow up to this. My first change with Lucas was at 680 miles. I just did the 1k service at 1204 today. I changed the oil & filter, trans fluid, and primary.

I went back and forth again on the Lucas decision just because you don't see a lot of reviews or oil analysis on it. I was 1 click away a few times from ordering Amsoil or Red Line. I just kept thinking about how good the Lucas has been.

So, went out today and picked up the same Lucas Synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil and the Synthetic 75w140 gear oil. Again, the bike runs perfect and just super quite.

Sticking with the Lucas from now on, it has made a believer out of me. I took a sample for Blackstone that I am sending in. It only has about 700 miles on it, but we will see.

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Posting a follow up to this. My first change with Lucas was at 680 miles. I just did the 1k service at 1204 today. I changed the oil & filter, trans fluid, and primary.

I went back and forth again on the Lucas decision just because you don't see a lot of reviews or oil analysis on it. I was 1 click away a few times from ordering Amsoil or Red Line. I just kept thinking about how good the Lucas has been.

So, went out today and picked up the same Lucas Synthetic 20w50 motorcycle oil and the Synthetic 75w140 gear oil. Again, the bike runs perfect and just super quite.

Sticking with the Lucas from now on, it has made a believer out of me. I took a sample for Blackstone that I am sending in. It only has about 700 miles on it, but we will see.
Keep us posted on your results, as I am interested to see if Lucas has improved their oil formulations. Keep in mind that Lucas is a fairly new player when it comes to motor oil, as they have only been blending motor oil for less than 10 years. Go at least 3,000 for your UOA and 5,000 would be best.
george

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
I'm sure being an Amsoil dealer they are going to love your review. :whistle:

~Pete
I am an Amsoil dealer and not worried about reports of the competition. Actually when a competitor makes improvements in their formulations, if they do, it raises the bar for all the players. in the end the consumer benefits.
george

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I wanted to send this initial one in to see how it does. I did use that copper looking thread sealer last time so I hope that doesn't interfere.

I will run this change about 3k and send it in too.

·
Registered
9,558 Posts
I use Lucas synthetic product exclusively. I'm a professional builder. I started using Lucas about 10 years ago, many of my customers, that own semi trucks, heavy equipment, working boats etc, we're asking I I would start stocking Lucas in my shop, I listened to my customers, stocked the products, looked at their analysis sheets, I was sold on it, I've used it ever since, even my snap on dealer buys Lucas for his truck.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Thanks for sharing...I've always used Mobil1 15W50 (about $25 for 5qt jug at Wallyworld) and had good results. Also have had great results with synthetic gear oils in tranny including Mobil1 and Royal Purple (I never drank the 'one oil in all 3 holes' koolaid).

Have about 5K miles on build, may check out Lucas just for kicks as I have heard good things about their stuff.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am a little upset with Lucas.....I can't hear my transmission blower whine sound anymore :(

I really loved that sound and I will miss her......

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I use Lucas synthetic product exclusively. I'm a professional builder. I started using Lucas about 10 years ago, many of my customers, that own semi trucks, heavy equipment, working boats etc, we're asking I I would start stocking Lucas in my shop, I listened to my customers, stocked the products, looked at their analysis sheets, I was sold on it, I've used it ever since, even my snap on dealer buys Lucas for his truck.
Forrest Lucas was a trucker so the long haul guys are fond of it. I run the fuel treatment in my Duramax for the lubricity. Time will tell if it has a benefit.

Lucas is a huge sponsor in the Racing and the Cowhorse industry, both of which I am involved in. I may try Lucas products due to that reason alone.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Forrest Lucas was a trucker so the long haul guys are fond of it. I run the fuel treatment in my Duramax for the lubricity. Time will tell if it has a benefit.

Lucas is a huge sponsor in the Racing and the Cowhorse industry, both of which I am involved in. I may try Lucas products due to that reason alone.
Lucas Oil sponsors or underwrites EVERYTHING under the sun.... They own MAV TV.... they have naming rights on Stadiums! I always wonder how they can make enough money to do that. Off Road series, Drag Boats series, NHRA sportsman racing...Tractor pulling....Sprint boats....You name it and Lucas has a hand in it.
Tim

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Lucas Oil sponsors or underwrites EVERYTHING under the sun.... They own MAV TV.... they have naming rights on Stadiums! I always wonder how they can make enough money to do that. Off Road series, Drag Boats series, NHRA sportsman racing...Tractor pulling....Sprint boats....You name it and Lucas has a hand in it.
Tim
Lucas probably makes more money with their advertising production company than with the oil products. This is why they can afford to advertise the way they do since their own company does it for them. They do not have to pay outside company's for that service. About the same time that they started making their oil they had an opportunity to purchase a production company.
George

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I changed my 14 Limited after the first 1500 miles to Lucas in all 3 holes, didn't notice any difference at all...none..and I have great hearing and am very much in tune with the noises my bikes make...no difference at all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tony,

I haven't heard any other stock 2014 bikes besides my own. I know the my 2008 96" Night Train was noisy on the top end with synthetic oils. Now, the 14's may not be.

I rode about 30 miles yesterday and it got REALLY hot, so hot I couldn't touch the top of the dipstick. Shifting with the Lucas has never been great. I don't know if that is because the bike is still pretty much brand new, or the gear oil.

Like I said, I am not a Lucas diehard by any stretch. I want the very best for my bike and if this isn't it, then I will go with something else. Seems good so far, but yesterday really had me wondering.

Now, all FI bikes are very lean as well, so hard to blame that on the oil. At the end of the day, I think the best oil out there is most likely Amsoil. I have also read great things about Spectro.

You know, I don't like all the Amsoil guys chiming in and ruining all the threads with their advertisements. George doesn't do this, so I am not speaking of him. It is just that any time you post a question about oil, well here it comes, AMSOIL.

In reality though, it is probably the very best oil that you can run in a V-Twin. Spectro has me interested too though, so we shall see.

George, a question for you. I have been an Amsoil dealer for a while. I have always had a "Sponsor" for some reason even though I am a dealer. Is there a way to be on your own or do you have a sponsor as well?

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Tim
I know. Cool huh, putting money back in to an industry instead of just taking. I also think they are behind Protect The Harvest as well.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
I believe that is true too. I think it's primarily a lobbying organization but it looks after many core interest that we may share. They sponsor a lot of cars too.

Lucas, from what i understand has an incredible production/advertising machine. I have friends and business associates that do business with them, not far from me in Corona CA. They have their hands in many many things. Looks like a solid company, even if some of their products may be snake oil...
Tim

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After a night ride last night, I will be changing. It was a little humid, but about 9:00 at night and dark. I rode on the interstate and the back roads, no traffic and moving at least 50-60 mph for about 40 miles.

Got to the gas station, filled up, and for some reason felt like removing the oil cap just to look. Steam was coming off the oil, which usually means it is at it's flash point I believe.

So, I went from being pretty impressed, to not very. So for the long run, I will switch to Amsoil most likely. It isn't snake oil, I have used it before and trust it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
After a night ride last night, I will be changing. It was a little humid, but about 9:00 at night and dark. I rode on the interstate and the back roads, no traffic and moving at least 50-60 mph for about 40 miles.

Got to the gas station, filled up, and for some reason felt like removing the oil cap just to look. Steam was coming off the oil, which usually means it is at it's flash point I believe.

So, I went from being pretty impressed, to not very. So for the long run, I will switch to Amsoil most likely. It isn't snake oil, I have used it before and trust it.
That steam is water being burned off. Even in the summer one short ride will collect a good amount of water in the oil and it takes 40 miles of straight riding the next ride to get it to a point where it starts burning off, if not it just keeps collecting. Any oil would have done that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I thought a little more about that after I posted.

However, the bike is running decently warm. I will switch to Amsoil in a few weeks and see if it changes. It may not, the Lucas might be just as good, who knows.

·
self banned
5,978 Posts
I'll be curious about engine noise when you try amsoil. Now that I have quieter pipes, my engine seems louder. I have been running Mobil 1.

rkc

1 - 20 of 45 Posts