V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 and newer M8 Softails.....
I've looked around for a shorter shock but cannot find one. I have a hard time believing the aftermarket is ignoring this model when it comes to lowering the rear. Other than air kits, the only thing I've found is a European kit that modifies the factory shock and requires a $380 tool to do it.
Surely by now someone out there has lowered their M8 Softails rear end? So, what's the scoop?

·
Registered
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
85 Posts
I know Harley has a front and rear kit but it" only 3/4". Personally I would go with the air kit

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You sure about that rear kit? I can only find a kit for the front, HD Part Number: 45500427, says it lowers the front over one inch. Nothing seems to exist for the rear.
I would like to start with only lowering the rear but there looks to be no real answer other than pneumatic but I do not wish to go that route. I can't believe no one makes different length shocks for these bikes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes its in the 2020 parts and accessory catalog pg 186 pn #54000134 for FL'S and 54000143 for FX

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure enough … there it is. HD website says it will not fit my 19 Softail Slim. Probably because of the remote adjuster but I bet I could make it work. Website then directs me to suspension kits for my bike and only shows me kit for the front. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where is your adjuster? I can’t imagine that the shock itself is different besides length

·
Registered
630 Posts
Sure enough … there it is. HD website says it will not fit my 19 Softail Slim. Probably because of the remote adjuster but I bet I could make it work. Website then directs me to suspension kits for my bike and only shows me kit for the front. 🤦‍♂️
Is it already installed on your model from the factory? I know the earlier softail deluxe came with the lowered shocks as opposed to the other model softails.

·
Registered
979 Posts
on the older softtails the shocks were lengthened to lower the bike, sounds backwards but that's how it worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts