V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'am looking to lower my 2000 duece with out using air ride.what's the pro's and con's on lowering kit vs adjustable shocks and do they ride the same after installation? has any one used after market no name adjustable shocks they are much cheaper than progressive ect.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Without going air ride, get the HD kit that comes with longer studs that mount on top of the standard shocks. They let you go from 0" to 2" lower, but you'll need a wrench to adjust the height when you want to change it. Ride is exactly the same. $100.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the h.d. kit studs longer or the same size as the white bros,burley. i would like to lower it about 2" but the only kit i've found around here is white bros.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
HD has a kit, its $100 or so. probably the same as white bros. 2" is probably a tad too much for the bike. You'll run into clearance problems with the starter shaft rubbing on the belt. You'll see this as a rub mark on the inside 1/2 of the belt looking from the rear. It hits the starter shaft when the suspension compresses. If you just ride solo, and aren't real heavy, stick to about 1 1/2". I use the air ride, and love it.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I had the Ness slam kit on mine but never liked it.
I got the lowering shocks from H/D (3/4" version) bike rides fine and feels stable.:beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guy's i put the lowering kit on and the fender is at the top of the back rim with nobody on it. i'am about 150lbs hope the belt does'nt rub on the starter do you think it will ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree with Dr. Deuce , 1 1/2" max. works well for me and add some pre-load to the shocks . You lose some swingarm travel so the ride does suffer . The best route would probably be name brand adjustables .
sno

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
DR_DEUCE said:
Without going air ride, get the HD kit that comes with longer studs that mount on top of the standard shocks. They let you go from 0" to 2" lower, but you'll need a wrench to adjust the height when you want to change it. Ride is exactly the same. $100.

The HD kit states "except deuce" looked like it would work to me bit the dealer suggested white bros or ness to be sure. I got the ness got it on but havent rode it yet, working on handle bars, but my ? is there is no lock nut or carter pin hole on the ness bolts. Why wouldn't they supply one with the kit? I plan on reuse the stock lock nuts with the ness kit, and does any one know if the HD kit will work on a deuce?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I happen to have the Progressive 413 chrome adjustable shocks on my 01 deuce. Lowered to a c-nt hair fender to above the rim, with shock adjusted to medium. Looks good, rides good, and does not bottom out, first ride with them was last Sunday. Would never be using them ($479) but a Buddy GAVE them to me, brand new in box, were for his fat boy, they never went on and sold bike, my win..
What I removed was stock shock with Progressive lowering kit. Worked decent but sometimes bottomed out riding single. Used for about 4 years. The Progressive shock has a much better ride.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Wild-deuce said:
I happen to have the Progressive 413 chrome adjustable shocks on my 01 deuce. Lowered to a c-nt hair fender to above the rim, with shock adjusted to medium. Looks good, rides good, and does not bottom out, first ride with them was last Sunday. Would never be using them ($479) but a Buddy GAVE them to me, brand new in box, were for his fat boy, they never went on and sold bike, my win..
What I removed was stock shock with Progressive lowering kit. Worked decent but sometimes bottomed out riding single. Used for about 4 years. The Progressive shock has a much better ride.
How low did you set the Progressive Lowering Kit? I'm also condidering a lowering kit vs. adjustable shocks vs. the non adjustable lowering shocks that are on the 04' SE Deuce. I'm not sure if I will lower it more than 1" fearing negative impacts of limiting suspension travel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts