V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy who I bought my bike from included a lowering kit. He said it is a major deal to install. I am wondering if anyone has installed one?

My FXSTC seems to be top heavy, at least when compared to my FXS. I have been told by a couple of my friends that my bike appears to sit up pretty high. Maybe thats why it feels top heavy?

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
It is not dificult, but you will need a press to do the job. Basically the old shocks come out with 4 bolts, then you replace the front mounting stud of the shocks with a longer one, then reinstall. I recommend using a lowering kit that is adjustable. There are a few, HD has one too. They let you vary the ride heighth from 0" to 2" lower.:chopper:

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
Any recommendations on a lowering kit for a 05 Deuce?
Should I lower the front as well, and jiffy stand too? I think most Deuce owners just lower the rear with those extended studs, but not sure what brand to use.
Access to a hydraulic press is not a problem. It seems difficult to remove shocks while the bike is on a lift though.
Thanks in advance

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
Gooms... use the adjustable setup.. HD makes one and it's about $90. Don't lower more than 1 1/2 inches cause you get the belt close to the starter shaft upon deflection of the swingarm. This affects the TRAIL specs, but it's not very noticeable, most people not knowing this, do not feel any handling differences. Sidestand will be ok as is, and if you want to lower the front, get shorter springs..... the raked look of the Deuce looks good with the rear down a bit.
Tom.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main reason Im looking at lowering mine is because I feel my bike is top heavy, as compared to my low rider especially. So I am wondering if lowering will help out with the top heavy feel?

·
05 Deuce
263 Posts
Dr. Deuce...Thanks for the info and reply. The lowering studs in the HD catalog say not for the Deuce (as do a gazillion other items). Is this one of those items that does fit the Deuce, but the specs are incorrect. Wish I knew the specs on those studs, then I could make them in my machine shop. $90 seems a bit high for modified all thread! I'm thinking about lowering the front anyway since I want to change fork oil anway, a bit too mushy at stock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
DR_DEUCE said:
Gooms... use the adjustable setup.. HD makes one and it's about $90. Don't lower more than 1 1/2 inches cause you get the belt close to the starter shaft upon deflection of the swingarm. This affects the TRAIL specs, but it's not very noticeable, most people not knowing this, do not feel any handling differences. Sidestand will be ok as is, and if you want to lower the front, get shorter springs..... the raked look of the Deuce looks good with the rear down a bit.
Tom.
A few weeks ago I had an Arlen Ness rear lowering kit installed on my '03 FX Springer. The guy said he "slammed it". Since then, I've noticed a whiney-whistling sound at low-speed accelleration/decelleration coming from somewhere around the primary case. Could this be what you are describing with the belt?

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
SQUIGGS... look at the belt from the back of the bike... if the inside 1/2 of the belt is shiny, it rubs on the starter shaft when the suspension works. Thats why I'd go just 1 to 1 1/2 inches lower..... Now if you put an air ride system on the bike like I did, you can literally SLAM it when you park it, then raise it to where you like.. also when riding 2 up, you can raise it a bit more.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
GOOMS.. I think the softtails are the same, my kit number from HD was
DS305051. Any kit you get, try to get one that is adjustable. Cost was $103.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just Googled "lowering kit 05 Deuce" and found plenty of them that fit. I went with the one that has the split collars, it lowers it 1.5 to 2 inches. No need to take shock out or apart. I am going to do the 1.5. It is a fixed height but the ease of install is nice and fast.
http://www.blazingbikes.com/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts