V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this would be the most appropriate place to post. Has anyone lowered their RoadKing? How much lower is it from stock? Is it even possible? How difficult is it to perform?(Is it a do-it-yourself project?) How much does it cost and how long would it take to complete the project? Thanks in advance for the info. J.T.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
I have lowered my 2002 in the rear. Using a White Brothers lowering kit. Abbout 100 bucks for the parts. This will only work, my understanding, on the standard Road King with hard bags...it moves the lower shock bracket back about an inch thus pulling the bike closer to the ground. Makes a big difference for me in reaching the ground with my feet, 30 inch inseam. This year Harley has a kit for lowering the front. I could have selected shorter shocks for the rear, they would have been over 300 bucks. I'm happy with it and had the dealer do the installation while in for 1000 miles service...cost me about 50 bucks, one hour. Could have done it myself, but probably, knowing my skills, would have taken all day and who knows what I would have broken. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey great looking RK, I have a 02 RKC. I have a problem with toucking the ground also at red lights (I can't help it I was born that way). My question is, when you installed the different shocks on your bike did it change the way it handled, or when riding with a passenger any change of performance? I noticed in this years HD catalog that you can buy a lowering kit for the RK, I'm really considering lowering my bike, but, I don't want to change the ride or the tire position on the fenders. I do go by the rule of "No Fat Chicks" on my bike. Any infor would help. :)

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
hogwild said:
Hey great looking RK, I have a 02 RKC. I have a problem with toucking the ground also at red lights (I can't help it I was born that way). My question is, when you installed the different shocks on your bike did it change the way it handled, or when riding with a passenger any change of performance? I noticed in this years HD catalog that you can buy a lowering kit for the RK, I'm really considering lowering my bike, but, I don't want to change the ride or the tire position on the fenders. I do go by the rule of "No Fat Chicks" on my bike. Any infor would help. :)
I did not change the shocks...stock shocks still on rear. Just put a lowering kit on which moves the bottom bracket for the shock back about an inch or so, whin=ch in effect pulls the bike lower about 3/4 inch. I have noticed a little more thumping when I hit a bump...but would rather have my feet on the ground and not the bike. The bike looks so much better lowered...JB ps...remember htis kit will only work with thehard bags, think there is a clearance problem with the leather ones on the Classic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the post, I'm going to ask some other RK owners about the clearance issue on the saddlebags. This is my third motorcycle, but my first Road King. I know I will do something about the height, I let you know later when I decide on what I'm going to do. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do you feel as if the footboards are going to drag the road? Do you, or can you, re-aim the headlight. I don't feel my RK sits too high. I think it is too wide in the seat. Are after-market seats really better?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
TJ's9 work well with both hard and soft bags. The shorter HD shocks give you a horrible ride. The Mustang seat makes a big difference because it is narrower near the tank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I lowered my 00RKC on the front 1.5 inches using a White Bros front lowering kit, and lowered the rear 1.5 inches using the TJ lowering kit. Additionally I have a Corbin close saddle. I ride in the bike versus on the top of the bike. I think I have better stability due to low CoG.

I do get many questions if I lowered the RKC. People like the look and I surely do. I lowered both ends to maintain bike equilibrium.

Ride Safe.

·
Crazy as a Bastard
223 Posts
Poi Dog said:
I lowered my 00RKC on the front 1.5 inches using a White Bros front lowering kit, and lowered the rear 1.5 inches using the TJ lowering kit. Additionally I have a Corbin close saddle. I ride in the bike versus on the top of the bike. I think I have better stability due to low CoG.

I do get many questions if I lowered the RKC. People like the look and I surely do. I lowered both ends to maintain bike equilibrium.

Ride Safe.

have any pictures?

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
Poi Dog said:
... and lowered the rear 1.5 inches using the TJ lowering kit. ... I think I have better stability due to low CoG...
Did you lower the bike yourself, and how complicated was it? I know that you must have lost some ground clearance, but do you "feel" like you lost any?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts