V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lowered my 97' Fat Boy about 1" using a White Bros. lowering kit. When I ride with a passenger, the ride quality is seriously reduced. I'm looking for anyone that has used the "Progressive Suspension" shocks that lower the bike 1" to see if the ride quality can be improved.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I used the Ness lowering extension and found I was bottoming out too easily so I ended up putting 'Big Red' springs in the shocks, they are rated at 1100 psi compared to the stock 800 psi springs. The cost was almost $200 but I am pleased with the ride now. The cost of the Ness Ext. was a little over $50 and if you are going to have to pay for labor of overhauling the stock shocks , you would probably be better off buying the HD or progessives lowering shocks. JMHO. Dave

·
Registered
70 Posts
progressive suspension

I removed the White Bros lowering kit after a month or so ..even without a passenger the ride was awfull ('less you like grinding your floorboards) and bottoming out happened too frequently . The progessives which I installed this spring are okay imo , moreover 'cause they adjust in from 2" to standard height fairly easy . I didn't wanna wait for the compressor activated ones which came to market around June and thought of the latter ones as a bit over the top for a soft-tail annyhow. Bottoming out didn't completely cease to exist but that has a lot to do with the abundance of speed bumps in my region. Seriously , the ride is much better and the handling too. However , some friends claim identical results with stock Showa's fitted with high psi springs..., but that's without the possibility to lower your bike at will of course. Besides ..as a European dude I obviously preferred a USA build (chuckle) alternative and the PS's are fairly easy to get by here via Zodiac..

rik
:D

·
Registered
134 Posts
Who makes the lowered shocks for H-D? The ones in the catalog caught my eye and they also have the front fork kit as well. I will probably be doing the work myself, I just hate giving my money to someone else for something I can do in the garage. I think they call me CHEAP.....:cool:

·
Registered
70 Posts
guess its Showa as well , not sure if I would want them actually , in general Showa is okay quality but they act too spongy for my riding style . On top of that , they are not adjustable which is not cheap on floorboards ;-)

rik

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw the 'Airtails' on the Progressive website. Don't know if I'm willing to spend that kind of dough, but looked interesting. Does anyone out there know anyone that's used them? I know their new, but you never know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Airtails

The progressive website has the 'Airtails' retail priced at $750 without the compressor, almost double that with the compressor. Getting close to the Legends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.