V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of Softails missing the lower belt guard. I know the obvious pro.....what about the cons? Dirt and grit flung onto the drive side of the belt? Safety concerns?

It would look much cleaner with it GONE!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Replace it with the chrome version

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.
A guy at work has his removed (1998 FL) and he said he's never had any problems.
It doesn't look like it does THAT much back there but I don't know for sure.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
The primary function of the lower belt gaurd is to keep rocks out of the belt.
It was not put on a a safty issue, chain drive bikes never had them except for the enclosed oil bath drive chain on the FLH's in the early "80s and it was to keep oil in.
If you tour and ride down gravel roads any at all it is a good thing to leave in place. I for one do not turn around for construction and gravel when on a road trip and have been known to venture down a few gravel roads also. The newer gaurds even have a rubber flap on the back to help keep the rocks out. My "93 does not have the flap but my "99 does. I have gotten rocks in the belt on my "93 but none so far on the "99.
Each to there own and do what makes you feel good, but remember, keep the rubber side down and ride safe.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Only thing I can add is when I took off my lower belt guard saying " we paid this much for these bikes and MOCO puts this 50cent POS on it".. Pretty sad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts