V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a good technique for getting at the lower belt guard forward bolt on a Dyna? I can do it, but I have to twist the belt, which is supposed to be a no-no.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
jrehm said:
Anyone have a good technique for getting at the lower belt guard forward bolt on a Dyna? I can do it, but I have to twist the belt, which is supposed to be a no-no.
I built a special tool to remove the bolt on my 2005 Dyna. The PITA bolt is the one most forward.

I took an inexpensive flex shaft screwdriver and cut the screwdriver bit off. Then I cut down an inexpensive 3/8" socket to a MINIMUM size. The socket is just big enough to be spot-welded on to the end of the flex shaft and lets ONLY the BOLT HEAD fit inside the socket.

To remove the guard, I first remove the back two bolts (the easy ones) and then work the flex tool up past the belt and on to the bolt head. As you already know, space is at a premium which keeps you from using a traditional flex joint or flex socket.

When installing the guard, I install (loosely) the forward bolt, THEN I do the back two bolts. When the back bolts are on snug, I go back and snug the forward bolt. Seems to me someone could have made an easier way to afix the belt guard to the rear forks.

I have attached a picture FWIW.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Use a 1/4" drive socket and extension with rachet. Works good.

Thorns

1 - 4 of 4 Posts