V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am keeping my bike in the garage for the winter with no heat. We are having freezing weather here in the northeast. Is it a good idea to start it now and then, or should I just leave it be until warmer weather? I do have stabalizer in it.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
I've always believed in starting any vehicle in storage every now and then to get the oil circulating so rust doesn't form on any internal parts and to also charge the battery.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I try to take mine out at least once a month for a short ride...enough to get it to operating temperature. When that's not possible, I start them and let them run until good and warm. That way any condensation that forms once shut off will be evaporated by the heat. I also am a firm believer in a battery tender.Just my .02

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
You have to get the oil up to a temperature to boil off any condensation that has formed, takes a while. You will not get your transmision hot enough and the heat cycling can cause additional condensation. I recomend just a battery tender and leave it until you ride it. Change your oil before storage to get rid of acids and contaminates and then leave it !! This is my opinion do what you feel comfortable with, there are as many opinions on this as the synthetic debate !!!

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
like Thealien stated. Me personally I winterize by parking in the garage and turning it off. Mine wont start in the cold anyway, and then there is the added strain to the starter by trying to get that 20-50 "glue" to let go. Give it a major cleaning in the spring and ride the hell out of it.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
My garage is unheated (majority of the time), I agree with Thealien, prepare it correctly and leave it alone.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
If it is going to be sitting for a long while, use fogging oil and the internals will be coated to prevent rust or sticking rings.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
My garage isn't insulated (yet....work in progress)....so I'm storing it since the weather isn't cooperating. I've taken my battery off the bike and have it connected to a trickle charger and before I take it out for spring I'll be sure to change the oil. I've also added STABIL to the fuel and started it up to run it through the fuel lines. I have no problem putting the battery back in and running for a scoot when the ice breaks and the pavement is visible again.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Periodically starting it without any serious operation will foul up your plugs too. Not that plugs are hard to clean, but your entire combustion chamber is crapped up.

Chilly

·
Banned
490 Posts
Don't wake a sleeping giant...

If your bike is stored for the winter, provided you have taken appropriate storage precautions, you will not do any good and may possibly cause problems by starting it up periodically.

Proper storage includes: remove battery; change oil and filter (ALL the oil.. not just in the crankcase); clean, wash and wax; remove or stabilize fuel.

By starting the bike up periodically all you do is cause partially burned gas and oil to build up in the system. This is the cause of rust and corrosion inside the engine. Likewise, starting a bike in cold weather and running it for a few minutes really puts a strain on the battery, without giving the alternator a chance to recharge it.

When you are ready to ride in the springtime your bike will thank you for letting it sleep undisturbed.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

Ya wanna see Low Temperature Storage???

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don't Store It

I don't store it. My 03 FLHR Road King is parked in an unheated garage.
As this is my first winter owning it, I will ride less during the winter
months, but as often as the roads allow. The bike will never just sit for
weeks. As long as the roads are clear of snow I take it for a 25/35 mile
ride. You do have to deal with the sand/salt issue...it leaves a covering of
dust all over the bike. I give it a good rinse with a bucket of water and
sponge afterwards. As for the cold, a heated jacket and gloves keeps
you on the road. When parked, I keep as full a tank as possible and a
quick connect battery tender on. Just my .02...

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm with thealien - unless you can start it up and ride it for a while every month - just leave it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I use AMZOIL it has excellent pourability to about 40 below. They make an oil for V-Twins. I use it in my airplane in Montana and my diesel pickup as well as the boat and Mercedes. The bike starts easy hot or cold. I definitely agree that unless you get you scoot all the way warm (trans and all) there wil be major condensation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.