V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A longtime H-D rider and a Noob here on the forum.

I have a 1994 Roadking that I purchased new and it has less than 10K on the clock. Oil changes have been done at regular intervals.
Lately I have noticed a strange noise I believe coming from the rear cyl. and I think it's getting worse...ugh !

I have not been riding it lately because of this and while I know it's hard to diagnose a noise over the internet I'd like to know in what direction should I start with a fix ?

If I have to tear into the top end is there some hop up/bigbore stuff I can do while in there ?

Any help/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated !

·
Super Moderator
20,902 Posts
All time champ for making Evo's clatter is the roller tappets. And Evo's tend to sound like everything is coming from the rocker boxes.

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
HI>> I also have a 94 King, and am in California.........what city are you in??
Have you tried putting a stethoscope on it to get an idea of the area that is noisy?????????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thermodyne is correct, those tappets are noisey. also if you have solid rollers with adjustable pushrods, i would check those. if you would like to smooth things out and try to quite it down i would suggest roller rockers and newer tappets.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Man

You just said "strange noise",,, what kinda noise is it,, tapping clicking squeaking scraping banging whistling shoooshing etc etc etc...

At the moment I agree that a Stethescope is the first thing you should acquire and try to narrow it down and describe a wee bit better..

Tapping clicking could be rockers or cam followers/lifters,, it could also be a cam lobe or a lifter wheel gone bad..

Squeaking could be a broken valve spring..

Whistling shooooshing could be exhaust leak..

Scraping banging could be real bad,,,,,,,,,,,,, fingers crossed..

Hop-up sugg's while you're in the top-end---------???
Head flow,, compression, valve springs for the big cam in the future, and/or the simplest and easiest,, a Mik 45 carb..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts