V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 05 custom 883 and it seems that the idle is a bit low on it. It died on me twice coming into work this morning. I have a 150 miles on it. It was not completely warmed up yet when it died (I was in Neutral at a stop light) but even when it is fully warmed, it seems that the idle is a bit low. Can this be adjusted? or should I not mess with it.

If the idle is a bit low, would the dealer adjust it when I take it in for the 1000 mile check up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an 05 1200c that idled low and died a couple of times. I took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the idle up more. Havent had the problem since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Low idle

I don't have a dealer close by and it's really cold out. Is this something I can adjust myself. Can anyone explain how??

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
The adjuster screw is on the right side of the carb, at the end of the throttle cable. Look at the carb, over the air cleaner cover while turning the throttle a bit. The adjuster screw {a philips #2} will move with the throttle. Turn it clockwise to increase the idle, 1/4 turn at a time.
OR you can learn to use the throttle tensioner to hold the ENGINE speed where you want it. The tensioner is the "star" between the cables, under the twist grip for the throttle. Use your right thumb to turn it.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
...Each time the throttle is turned, gas {from the accelerator pump} is shot into the intake. This may cause hard starting or worst case a fouled plug. :chopper:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts