V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving down the highway, I often look for that 6th gear my 02FLHT doesn’t have. Not that I'm screaming, but it would be nice to just lower the RPM a tad. A quick back of the envelope check looks like I'd like a 15% reduction in the overall gear ratio, bringing 5th to something like 2.73. Would the 15% reduction on 1st hurt? I spend very little time in stop & go traffic, and this change would bring first down to 8.75, about mid way between the original 10.11 and 6.96 1st & 2nd. Does anyone know what options, if any are available to achieve this, or do I just have to part with the bucks and get a 6 speed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
get the 6 speed...save the hassle...

gimme 6 speed gimme 6 speed gimme 6 speed...

by the way, have the 6 speed on my softail, and funny thing, for a time i forgot it was there...and i often found myself stuck at fifth...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
A stock bagger isn't going to pull a 6 speed.

Other then the gear ratios, 6th gear isn't a direct drive 5th is both in the 5 and 6 speed. Lots of little parts spinning in gear oil at close to twice engine speed. Very inefficient.
If you have a lot of engine, by all means go for it, but get the Jim's/Baker.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jims/Baker is correct and if you're not running a 1550 or 103 stroker you'll want to change the transmission pulley to a 30 tooth from 32. Also get Pro Cut gears. The gear width is same as stock but the transmission housing cover will push out about .525 inch for the sixth gear which also means relocating and recaibrating the speedo pick up sensor and the exhaust mounts .... it goes on and on.
So a cheap solution for that 6th speed is don't do it. Just change the pulley to a 34 for that 1550 or 103 and leave it at 5 speed. You'll drop 200-250 RPMs at 70MPH.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Has anyone used the Johnson Engineering 'Twist Gear', it is supposed to leave 5th alone and lower the gearing in 1-4 gears by 10 % and if anyone has installed it what is involved in the changeover? TIA Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts