V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock '06 xl1200c. I'm looking for a seat to give atleast a 1" drop in seat height....I want it to be a seat I can carry a passanger on and be reasonable comfortable. Does one of these seats exist?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I don't know of anyone who has used this specific seat but, mustang makes a seat called the day tripper. I do know from past experience they make a great seat.

here's some info from their site.

DayTripper™
Mustang's advanced comfort technology has been incorporated into this totally new style of custom seat. Ride low, look cool and still be comfortable at the end of the day's ride. The detailed stitch work in the highly durable, synthetic glove-leather cover makes the Day Tripper™ a real show winner. Never before has such a low and lean seat been available that feels this good for both the rider and the passenger.

you can buy from discount internet sales for 20% off, just ask around here.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...I was actually reading Mustang's site when you replied. How do I go about getting 20% off?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Sundowner

Last year I purchased a 1200 Custom and replaced the original seat with a Sundowner. It was very confortable for my wife and I. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw a Sundowner in person..but it looked like it was taller than my stock seat. It did look comfortable but it looked taller.

·
Registered
116 Posts
KY23 said:
I saw a Sundowner in person..but it looked like it was taller than my stock seat. It did look comfortable but it looked taller.
Yes the sundowner is comfy, and yes it's taller than stock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed the hd rallyrunner on my superglide. The seat is really comfortable and set me back about an inch or so. On top of being comfortable, the seat looks really good and fits the bike perfectly.

Matthew

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rallyrunner Installation

I just purchased a new rallyrunner for a great price. I am replacing my Sundowner whichI only used for the Candy Tour Ride which was about 1300 miles. The Sundown is a great touring seat but it's a bit bulky and the seat contour does not go well with my streetbob. One question concering installation, Nothing is mentioned in the install instructions about removing the bumper pads I had to use with the sundowner but I assume I can remove these since the rallyrunner is a better quality seat with carpeted protection? Can someone comment on their installation? thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most the Sporty owners I know of including myself like the Mustang Vintage solo and pillion setup. Most of the more comfortable plush seats will not drop the seat hgt. for obvious reasons and the lower thinner seats are rough riding.
The Mustang has a narrow nose and though providing ample padding does not sit you as high as some.
Best deal I found on all Mustang seats was through www.discountcycleparts.com
I think my vintage solo and pillion combined including shipping was only $250
Very comfortable seat.

Matt

·
Registered
164 Posts
Question - Are these aftermarket seats much more comfortable that the stock seat? I could use something that will keep me and the wife from getting saddle sore on those 500 mile trips.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Extremesports,

Yes many aftermarket seats are far more comfortable that any stock seats. However most while much more comfortable from the start vs. stock many may require a break-in period to conform to your butt before becomming very comfortable due to higher density foam for support which is stiffer at first than perhaps a stock seat may feel. Problem with stock seats are the foam may be soft on some but offers no support therefore resulting in being uncomfortable and your lower back aching over time and the foam flattening out.
When I first got my Mustang it was a drastic difference than the seat on my 06 XL1200C and now after about 1500 miles on the seat its even more comfortable and perfectly conformed while supporting my lower back. My wife who rides with me on a limited basis also said the 4.5" thick pillion which is wider is much more comfortable than the skinny 2" thick passenger section on the stock seat.

Matt

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Which aftermarket seat is for you? I would ask around and rallys or such. If someone asks me about my seat, I let him sit on it and see. Most anyone would if you are decent about it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had a Mustang Daytripper on an 04 1200C. It was the best looking 2up seat I had, but was not that great for riding with a passenger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts