V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 ElectraGlide (sport conversion - 1 headlight)

I am having a problem with my low beam only working intermitently.
High beam is fine.
Bulb is fine, and it only seems to be a problem while riding, and it is hard to check the wiring at 60 mph.

I am thinking it must be a connection that gets jostled while riding.
Could it be the housing that the bulb plugs into?
Ground wire?

But if it is a connection, then why would the high beam work?

·
Banned
2,149 Posts
I'll go you one better.

I think stock Harley bulbs (and that includes the parabolic reflector) are poorly designed, dim, aimed poorly and fragile.

If MoCo admits in their catalog that better/brighter lamps are available, why aren't they on the bike?

To me, it's like saying, "Yeah, you've got some breaking power, but for a grand more we'll sell you Brembos."

Last year due to a hectic work schedule I happened to take my first night ride in a desolate country area. I flipped on my high beam, and I thought the system had crapped. All I got was diffused fuzzy blue light.

Low beam was not enough of a singular source, and they had aimed high beam into the clouds. This should seem to be aprt of a set-up check, and maybe an installation check at the factory.

When I would pull into the garage to park, the light hit the rear wall. It was bright and ahead of me at five feet, but no one would guess what it might due when out in the boonies.

I'venow seen auxiliary LED lamps and mounting hardware so others must have seen a problem.

My headlight has now been properly adjusted, but I am checking on other bulbs and total replacement packages to enhance night driving.

I dislike any product that states this "meets minimum requirements"

Lundy 1340, I would take that motorcycle back, a dozen times if need be, and get that lamp operational and I would be the client from hell. This is a piece of safety equipment that allows you to see and be seen.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Since High beam works, I doubt it is a ground connection. Inspect the connector to the bulb. I bet the connctor is a little lose. It is a female spade type terminal, try crimping it shut slightly. Also use dielectric grease on the connections to prevent corrosion.
If it is not the connector, you will have to wiggle the wires to find the lose or corroded conection.
Verify there are no worn places or stress points on the wiring. Inspect and use dielectric grease on the connector in the harness for the headlight.
On that year, it could also be a bad switch in the handlebar housing. Clean and inspect the switch contacts.
Good luck.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
LittleBear said:
........Inspect and use dielectric grease on the connector in the harness for the headlight.
On that year, it could also be a bad switch in the handlebar housing. Clean and inspect the switch contacts.
Good luck.
I' m with Bear on this one. Had an '85 a fews year back and the plug had a corroded wire in it. Wiggle the wires in the plug and also check/grease the switch contacts in the handlebar housing.

o~\o

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
On my 1995 I was having the same issue. The low beam wire was getting kinked. I cut the wire behind the kink and positioned it so it would happen again. At the time I was getting 6 months out of a light. The light I have now has been working for about 5 years.

·
Pimp Daddy
386 Posts
greenboot said:
Did you actually replace the bulb? Seems to me this is the most likely culprit.

Tom
@gree: It's possible that the element could look good but not make contact once the bike is vibrating.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for advice...
Any suggestions or advice for bulb upgrades?
Any negatives to replacing the stock bulb with a stronger bulb?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with SR.

The filament may have a tiny break that isn't visible. It's too inexpensive not to toss and replace. Check out some of the automotive aftermarket websites for Hella 80/100 or 90/130 H4 bulbs if they are compatible.

Otherwise, convert to a H-4 system (approx. $60) and you'll notice a world of difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts