V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just searching for feedback . . .
I am a previous sportbike owner (Suzuki SV 650). Unfortunately, I was riding into a strong headwind last month and wheelied my bike into some touble. Yes, I was twisting the wrist . . . but I have never had the front end come up so violently before. It was all I could do to let go of the bike. Fortunately, all I suffered was a hip contusion, road rash, and a blow the the ego . . . oh, and a totaled bike w/ liability only.:(

Anway, I will be back in the market for a new bike toward the end of this year, and this V-Rod seems perfect. I have always admired Harleys, but never saw myself on one until the V-Rod. It seems to be the perfect mix of cruiser and sport.

What are the odds of me getting one for sticker toward the end of the year?

Great forum. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Welcome to the H/D Forum!:)

First about insurance, if you own a Harley, you own a very desirable bike and full coverage insurance is a MUST.

Now, as for the msrp thing, there have been many threads on this issue and the issue of availability of bikes in the 2003 "anniversary" model year. Run a search. Since we don't know the V-Rod production level for 2003, and whether there will be other bikes in the family, "guessing" whether you can find one somewhere in the U.S. for msrp is difficult. Of course, if you are willing to travel to buy the bike, your chances are increased. Have your deposit money ready, and start checking with some dealers. And be willing to wait.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pasadenajim,
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. And yes, full coverage would be a must. Paying $6K for a sportbike out of pocket is definitely a different story than investing 3 X in a Harley.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
twntbo,

Welcome!

I don't want to give you any false hopes, but I think the odds of finding a V-Rod at MSRP towards the end of the first prodcution year will be very slim. Dealers that are selling at that price have a back-up list several people deep. I was told Red River H-D in Wichita Falls, TX (where I bought mine) will be selling the '03s at MSRP, but last I heard they were not taking deposits yet.

Good luck and glad to hear you're alright!

Bart
Denton, TX

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Welcome twntbo,
As the proud owner of a Vrod and a sporty myself, I can relate to your wheelie troubles. Glad to hear you lived to tell the tail. Rest assured, you will not have that problem with the Vrod. 600lbs. And a 38 deg rake will keep that front wheel where it belongs.

Also, despite the “super bike” mill, the Vrod is by no means a sport bike. Anyone who argues otherwise needs to go barrow a buddy’s crotch rocket. The Vrod is a performance cruiser. It is low, very low and this compromises its handling characteristics. Try to shred a corner on it and you will quickly find out how easy you can drag a peg or pipe. I call it “point and squirt” handling. On-ramps, roll-ons, gentle sweepers, she’s in a league of her own. Don’t forget the high “gawk factor”. Wherever you go, you’ll make new friends.

As for the odds of finding one at msrp at year-end: You’ll be looking at a ’03 by then and it’s anyone’s guess what the market will bear. My guess is you’ll have to hunt to find one just like this year. If you are a good and resourceful hunter, anything’s possible. Last September (peak Vrod hysteria) I told myself I’d buy a Vrod only if I could find one for msrp. I found one within one week and it was the 2nd closest dealer to me. 6 months later I was an owner. Anything’s possible and it’s definitely worth the wait. The Vrod is an awesome super cruiser.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rob,
That is just the information I needed. I am truly looking for a sport-cruiser, not a sport bike. But I must say, that I am envious of your sig . . . a Harley V-Rod and an Aprilia! Wow! You just might be my hero.

Have a good one,
Chris

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Vrod vs Mille

Well it does make it a tough decision when I walk into my garage!:D

Just depends on how big of a hurry I'm in I guess.
The Vrod needs more time mostly due to the high gawk factor... and the Mille is usually just a screaming yellow blurrrrrrrrrr:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts