V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Love Ride 19 is scheduled for Sunday, November 10th. It's one of the biggest one day biker events in the Western U.S.

Is anyone interested in a pre-Love Ride "eyeball"--get together? I'm willng to arrange something (host some beer) but I'd like to know if anyone is interested BEFORE I commit to such an adventure.

Who'd like to have a pre-Love Ride "eyeball"? If ya' would, post to this thread. If there's no interest, Oh, well. Lisa and I will still be going.

Let's here the "eyeball" sentiments. Oh, if YOU want to HOST any "eyeball", jump right in!!!!! NO problem.....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Jim, I think I will out of town (Scottdale) and probably won't make it. I'll call if we can get back in time, greg

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I'm in...................

Tony:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's Not Lookin' Promising

Well, Gunslinger, I'll bump this thread to the top again and see if there is any more response. Doesn't seem to be a lot of interest.

But Tony, regardless of whether we do anything officially, Lisa and I'll get together with you the Saturday before.

Is there anyone else interested in a pre-Love Ride "eyeball"--get together?

Is anyone else going to the Love Ride?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
20,000 riders attend this event every year, some of them have to be on this board. It's a good time.......check it out

www.loveride.org

Tony:cool:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Was thinking of riding down from central Cal. and going straight to Castaic Lake. Will they let you in coming from the North? Do they have a place to pay the $60 at the lake for the entry fee?
Dan

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I'll be there. That's assuming that work doesn't keep me away!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On Site Registration

Yes, there is "on site" registration at the Lake on the day of the event.

You do not have to register at Glendale H/D.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Eyeball--Love Ride Report

Well, there wasn't much interest in setting up an "eyeball" before the Love Ride. And with the rain in So Cal on Friday & Saturday, it was for the best.

The rain continued until Saturday evening, making the prospects for Sunday rather bleak.

Lisa and I have "done" the Love Ride several times. I was getting ready to register "on line" a couple weeks ago and saw that they still needed "volunteers". I have to admit that going on the same ride, year after year, gets a bit old, even if the entertainment changes. So... Lisa (huckelberry1) and I "volunteered". We attended a training class a week ago and showed up this morning. At 2:30 a.m.--yes AM. Volunteers helped set up registration tables at Glendale H/D and prepared for the on site registration process. With people pre-registering on the Internet, the process was streamline. On site registration began at 6 a.m. We worked one table in the 30 table process. It was an EXPERIENCE!:)

I realize we were busy by I was surprised to see so few people I knew. I'm not sure why?

We did see Gunslinger, who is a regular at charity rides in the LA area. It's always a pleasure to see him.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parking was Fun!

It turned out to be a wonderful day, albeit a bit cool. The skies were clear, bringing out huge crowds.

The parking lots at Lake Castaic were overflowing....

The food was good, music enjoyable. Considering it had rained for two days, the grounds were only damp.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Weather was Good--Crowd was Large

The weather was good and the crowd was large.

The main stage is set up near the Lake. There are hills around the stages and vendors set up on the mesa areas on the hills.

This is one of the pricier motorcycle events. But it's one of those "must do" events. You must do this event at least once. Next year is the 20th anniversary of the Love Ride. It is the second Sunday in November. Mark your calendars and make your plans.

The event promises good food, good venue, good music, and a chance to experience one of the largest one day motorcycle charity events in the world.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pasadenajim & huckelberry1

We are getting old!;)

Being over at Glendale H/D @ 2:30 a.m. and working for 8 hours wore us down. We left just as the headline entertainer was taking the stage.

How tired was I? I was so tired I did not finish my beer! Lisa did not finish her beer. We both went to bed when we got home in the middle of the afternoon.

Would we "volunteer" again next year? It will depend on the entertainment. We enjoyed having a new perspective on the Love Ride this year. It was not the "same old, same old". But if we really wanted to see the entertainment, we'd be better just paying the min. donation fee and arriving early and getting a spot close to the stage.

Anybody else got any Love Ride pics? Other thoughts on the Love Ride?

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Jim,

Great posts about Love Ride. It was my first, and I had a blast! When I got their in the morning, I was amazed at just how many bikes there were, and how many people. I had been expecting a lot, but picturing them in my mind was one thing...actually seeing all of them lined up around me was another. The waiting to leave on the ride took a lot longer than I expected, but I guess that's what I get for not arriving earlier than 8:30am (earlier arrival means closer to the front of the pack.) Sadly, we were like a bunch of sheep. We heard people ahead of us start their bikes, so we started ours, leathered and helmeted up...and then sat their for about 5 or 10 minutes before we shut down and stripped off our jackets, gloves, helmets, etc. Then we laughed about what sheep we were, and how we wouldn't be fallin' for that one again....then 30 minutes later we fell for that one again! But on the third time, it was for real and off we rode!
:D

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
The ride itself was fun, but uneventful (probably a good thing!) I thought the weather was perfect! A very welcome change from the clouds and rain we'd been having up until late the night before. As people from the L.A. area are all very aware, the day after rain is usually one of the most incredibly clear days we ever have here...totally smog free! You actually get to see the sky and surrounding mountains the way God intended...and it's SPECTACULAR!

The parking situation wasn't nearly as bad as people had told me to expect, and it was actually a pretty cool thing to see all those bikes parked under the fall trees. A sight my camera (or my words) won't come close to adequately sharing!

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
The beer and Tony Roma's food was good enough (maybe even "good enough plus!") Of course, at that point I was ready to eat my boot (after all, it's just a different part of a cow.) Sheryl Crow was actually great. The girl can rock when she wants! and the lake made for a perfect backdrop for the concert! We all talked about the fact that there really should be concerts at the lake all summer long! Gotta figure out who to "officially" suggest that to.

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
It was really cool getting to meet great people all day long!

·
IronButthead
980 Posts
Yep, I'll be there next year. Who know, maybe I'll even volunteer? And I agree, if you haven't been, it's something to be experienced at least once!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like a great time. I will put the Love Ride on my to do list along with Daytona and Sturgis, before I die. We have The Republic of Texas Rally in May that draws about 30,000 or so and it is a blast. I look forward to going to it again next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts