V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a little over 35mpg on the last tank on my '01 FLSTC. Now, I just did the 10,000 mile work on it mid tank so perhaps it will be better now but what would cause that?

I should mention that I am in Wisconsin and haven't ridden much this year when it has been over 60 so maybe that is involved too. My dealer had me clean out the air filter and not oil it (the service guy almost yelled at me.."NEVER OIL THAT FILTER EVER AGAIN"). So I will see if that helped as I performed that right before tanking up last night.

The bike does seem to be peppier after the new plugs and cleaning out the air filter..Thanks for your help
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You need to run more than one tank through it to determine if you milage is bad. You may have had old gas, been using the enricher too much in the cold weather, letting it idle a long time to warm up, any number of factors.
Take it out on the highway and run it though a couple tanks and average your gas milage out. If the milage is still low, you may need to check your float level on the carb and ensure your enricher is still closing all the way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
389 Posts
I USED to get mileage that good!

From what I've read, the newer Delphi EFI systems get better mileage than the older Magneti-Marelli EFI systems that you and I have.

I was getting about 35mpg around town with a lot of decel popping. I installed a PCIII/USB and downloaded a map for my set-up (Samson slip-ons, Stage 1). Now she runs great, with crisper feeling throttle response and no decel popping.

The trade-off? 28mpg around town.

I'm about to try a couple clicks leaner at low and mid throttle on the PCIII, and also new plugs and cleaning the air filter.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
Average 45 mpg, 50 if I ride with my brother, 40 if I'm blasting around with my buddies ... but I have an antiquated carburetor, so whaddo I know?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I should have been more specific. Mine is also carb'd. The only thing I would change about my bike if I could is EFI but alas that ship has sailed. Thanks for the info so far
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
547 Posts
my gas mileage sucks badly...

I get only about 130 miles to a tank, but usually fill up at a 1/4 tank...only thing i've done is the rineharts, big sucker air, and dfo...

took the bike apart to have it painted, and once it got back together, my mileage per tank went from 175-185 down to 130...kinda pisses me off, but it still runs good...not that much popping either, just when I'm in a high rev and decel..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
04 FLSTCI: put on 178.8 miles last
Saturday with an even 50.0 mpg...
3.57 gals to the top after backroads,
freeway etc. Have stage 1
with SE 16 gauge double barrels and
SE a/c and map....runs great
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,744 Posts
mcneguy said:
My dealer had me clean out the air filter and not oil it (the service guy almost yelled at me.."NEVER OIL THAT FILTER EVER AGAIN"). So I will see if that helped as I performed that right before tanking up last night.
Unless u have a filter that is suppose to be oiled why would u? And how would u remove oil from a standard paper filter withou ruining it?

Now if u have a K&N type filter it must be cleaned and oiled. I use them on my cars and bike s and they need to be cleaned and oiled regularly.

Ohh and :welcome:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,121 Posts
mcneguy said:
Actually I should have been more specific. Mine is also carb'd. The only thing I would change about my bike if I could is EFI but alas that ship has sailed. Thanks for the info so far
Ahhh, the plot thickens ... Did you have the usual "stage 1" upgrade (new exhaust, air cleaner and carburetor rejet) done, and if so, was the work done by someone other than yourself?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes and somewhat yes. I installed the pipes and air cleaner and had a dealer do the carb rejet but that was 2 years ago. I have done the 10,000 mile myself but again that was in mid tank.

Ok so here is the question, the dealer I called last night insisted that I do not oil the K&N air filter, in fact he said "It makes your bike act like it is breathing through a wet beach towel" and then he went on to say that he is the guy who does all the Dyna and Engine work for this particular dealer. A dealer, I might add, who is about 3 miles from one of the HD Plants here in Milwaukee as if that matters.

What are everyone's thoughts on oiling the SE air filter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
If you air filter is a K&N or similiar, it needs to be oiled for it to filter the air properly. Never heard the "wet towel" thing before. That's a new one. If its SE paper filter, do not oil it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so how do I know if it is the replaceable one or the paper one? It has a metal cover and the inside material is protected by a mesh of some kind. It is the standard SE air cleaner kit from 2 years ago. The part against the motorcycle has a black rubber ring, the opposite end is a metal shield with the 3 screw holes in it.
 

·
Still alive
Joined
·
546 Posts
I have rush pipes, a K&N filter in the stock housing which was opened up in the back and a dfo. On the highway I was getting about 45-48mpg at above legal speeds loaded up with cruise engaged. Normal riding I am getting about 40mpg. I did notice the first few tanks after not riding (gas with stable) my mileage totally sucks. I think it is just the way I am riding, perhaps not shifting at the right time, more likely the desire to get going quick.......who knows. I remember last fall when gas went up due to the hurricane, I choked when I had to drop a $20 to fill the tank and it looks like it is going to be just as bad this year. Last week in florida, premium was $3.18/gallon I am sure it will be that locally in a few weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
mcneguy said:
Ok, so how do I know if it is the replaceable one or the paper one? It has a metal cover and the inside material is protected by a mesh of some kind. It is the standard SE air cleaner kit from 2 years ago. The part against the motorcycle has a black rubber ring, the opposite end is a metal shield with the 3 screw holes in it.
If it looks like this, its a K&N type filter that should be oiled.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, now that is service. Yes, that in fact is my filter so the consensus is to oil it and the mechanic at the dealer is, in fact, a boob?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
75 Posts
loboheritage said:
04 FLSTCI: put on 178.8 miles last
Saturday with an even 50.0 mpg...
3.57 gals to the top after backroads,
freeway etc. Have stage 1
with SE 16 gauge double barrels and
SE a/c and map....runs great
Hey Lobo,
Do you like the SE 16 guage double barrels? Did you notice any performance increase, TQ/HP? I like the looks of the double barrels, but have not heard how they sound. My 2003 Heritage has V&H Straightshots staggered. I'm planning to change to the V&H Big Shots staggered, which is the same as the SE 16 guage double barrels.
 

·
Punch It!
Joined
·
356 Posts
I can't speak to the SE air cleaner unless it is a K&N. If it is a K&N run don't walk away from that idiot at the dealer. You must oil the K&N to get proper filtration and that is how it is engineered to use.
 

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
Joined
·
4,884 Posts
mcneguy said:
I just got a little over 35mpg on the last tank on my '01 FLSTC. Now, I just did the 10,000 mile work on it mid tank so perhaps it will be better now but what would cause that?

I should mention that I am in Wisconsin and haven't ridden much this year when it has been over 60 so maybe that is involved too. My dealer had me clean out the air filter and not oil it (the service guy almost yelled at me.."NEVER OIL THAT FILTER EVER AGAIN"). So I will see if that helped as I performed that right before tanking up last night.

The bike does seem to be peppier after the new plugs and cleaning out the air filter..Thanks for your help
You musn't oil that filter again!....oh sorry.....I mean, it's not a good idea. It could actually injure your fuel mileage. I'm assuming that you have the stock filter with the white felt-type element.

My stock Ultra gets 40-42 mpg around town and more on the road but I ride like the geezer that I am. You should take a long trip somewhere and check your mileage caefully while avoiding rpms over 3,000. That's where you get the best mileage, 3,000 rpm and less. I'm sure you can coax another 5-7 mpg out of your bike with a clean air flter and a slight change in riding style.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
kratc: the SE 16 gauge system sounds great....they
either are clones of the V&H bigshots, or very
similar....have no idea if there is any power advantage
between the two (or between the SE and any other
exhaust system), but I like the looks and the sound
and it runs a lot stronger than stock....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
my kn filter came pre oiled, and kn has cleaner and oil. spray the cleaner on,shack it out then spay on the oil real lite so it looks almost pink and not real red. i over oiled my air cleaner once,and it looked good and red,yup that sure gone to keep the dirt out,and the air too. my bike ran just a little better than a dead rat. so i had to clean it again. also kn says don,t over clean their filters.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top