V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I'd consider a NY to LA to Sturgis just to prove I'm not a pansie. Hell, might even double down and come back the same way to reinforce it.
Keep us posted on how the trip goes.. Doing the ride isn't the issue. It's finding the time to take it all in and not have to rush..

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Keep us posted on how the trip goes.. Doing the ride isn't the issue. It's finding the time to take it all in and not have to rush..
I can think of a lot to do besides riding across the desert in August. My buddy bought a new Goldwing to ride to Sturgis. He crossed a bridge and saw a river down below. He jumped in clothes and all after climbing back up to his bike his clothes were completely dry and he was hot again. My friend has passed, but memories live on.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
New York to Louisiana to Sturgis, ain't no desert there unless you take the long way. Then you better start early.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
I have been out there, but usually on 20 through LA and TX. The heat in LA in August is unbearable. Funny I didn't notice as a child in NO. Texas is nice I saw where the ornamental cactus in NC comes from. Such a trip for me would include the ac truck and the trailer queen. If I left a shiitpot of money in my wife's bank account she would let me go... mebbe.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
I have been out there, but usually on 20 through LA and TX. The heat in LA in August is unbearable. Funny I didn't notice as a child in NO. Texas is nice I saw where the ornamental cactus in NC comes from. Such a trip for me would include the ac truck and the trailer queen. If I left a shiitpot of money in my wife's bank account she would let me go... mebbe.

I lived in LA for 7 years and you're right about it getting hot. I lived in Alexandria. One of the dumbest things of my Air Force career was during the period I did aircraft maintenance. We had A-10's at England AFB and every year we had 4 of them that were used to participate in the Air Force Worldwide Gunnery Competition (Gunsmoke). We kept these airplanes in pristine condition and would put any auto detailer to shame. The competition was held during the summer months and we would have to take our boots off when walking anywhere on the top surfaces to keep from getting scuff marks on the paint. So take a green camo airplane, sit it in the LA sun in summer and then walk on it in your socks. Yea, good times!

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
I lived in LA for 7 years and you're right about it getting hot. I lived in Alexandria. One of the dumbest things of my Air Force career was during the period I did aircraft maintenance. We had A-10's at England AFB and every year we had 4 of them that were used to participate in the Air Force Worldwide Gunnery Competition (Gunsmoke). We kept these airplanes in pristine condition and would put any auto detailer to shame. The competition was held during the summer months and we would have to take our boots off when walking anywhere on the top surfaces to keep from getting scuff marks on the paint. So take a green camo airplane, sit it in the LA sun in summer and then walk on it in your socks. Yea, good times!
Yeah, but you got to see all the good shiitt.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Yeah, but you got to see all the good shiitt.

Yea, even with toasty feet still one of the best assignments I ever had. Also unloaded my ex, an official minion of Satan, in LA so that was a plus.

Not so fond of the C-17 shown in your pick though. One of the killers of the flight engineer position and one of the worst things ever to happen in aviation. And while the C-17 was always touted as the one to replace the C-130 it will never happen.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Yea, even with toasty feet still one of the best assignments I ever had. Also unloaded my ex, an official minion of Satan, in LA so that was a plus.

Not so fond of the C-17 shown in your pick though. One of the killers of the flight engineer position and one of the worst things ever to happen in aviation. And while the C-17 was always touted as the one to replace the C-130 it will never happen.
This one wasn't much safer.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
How bout NY to Oregon and Washington state, and back along the Northern tier. Perhaps a few diversion into Canada for some good cigars.
I see the rationale. Therm has some states he needs to color in. That may actually be a real nice trip, especially if you circle the Great Lakes. As far as cigars go, there's not much in Canada I can't get in NJ. As they say in NJ, "I know a guy."

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts

We had 141's and C-5's. The 141's were our workhorse, but Fat Albert could really carry the load. Amazing aircraft.
The reserve squadrons had 130's.

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
I see the rationale. Therm has some states he needs to color in. That may actually be a real nice trip, especially if you circle the Great Lakes. As far as cigars go, there's not much in Canada I can't get in NJ. As they say in NJ, "I know a guy."
Ya, I used to know a guy. But he's retired now. Hard to keep truckin into old age. He hauled auto parts south every week. He would have his limit and his ole lady would have her's.
Just across the river here. But I'm not a huge fan. Dominican and Honduran work just fine.

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
We had 141's and C-5's. The 141's were our workhorse, but Fat Albert could really carry the load. Amazing aircraft.
The reserve squadrons had 130's.
I was a C-5 FE for 10 years. Under powered as it was, you could still do some amazing sh!t with it empty and with about 60k lbs of gas. We did a low pass over the condo complex I lived in on my wife's birthday one year at 7am on a Sunday morning with gear hanging and full flaps. Now that got some serious attention. Gone are the days when you could easily get away with that kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
4,427 Posts
I was a C-5 FE for 10 years. Under powered as it was, you could still do some amazing sh!t with it empty and with about 60k lbs of gas. We did a low pass over the condo complex I lived in on my wife's birthday one year at 7am on a Sunday morning with gear hanging and full flaps. Now that got some serious attention. Gone are the days when you could easily get away with that kind of thing.
No doubt. Low, slow and dirty you rattled the walls with that pass.

·
Super Moderator
19,568 Posts
I was at an air show in VA. one time and there was an F4 parked under the wing of an C5. And an old B17 under the other wing. They had it set up so you walked up a set of stairs to look into the F4 cockpit, then down the to the rear and up the ramp on the C5. I recall think how small the F4 was and that my ass would never fit the seat. Then walking up into the C5 was like walinging into Cole Field House. When we went to see the 17, we got invited in, one of the men I was with flew them during the war. That plane didn't fit me either. Only thing I could have done on it was be a side gunner, from my knees.

During that show a regularly scheduled Concord took off, then did a low slow fly over of the flight line. All flaps, wheels, and roar. It took my breath away. I mean I really couldn't breath. The vapour of half burned kero was overpowering. I had a white shirt on, and it was covered with black oily specs afterwards. That plane was gone from sight for 4 or 5 minutes and you could still hear it climbing out. And As I understand it, they didn't got to full power until they were east of DC out over the bay.

·
Registered
15,776 Posts
I recall think how small the F4 was and that my ass would never fit the seat.
My ass fit, but my legs are way too long.

At the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, FL, they have a section with cockpits from various aircraft you can climb in....if you can fit.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
We hauled an A-12 (predecessor to the SR-71) from Palmdale Flight Test to Minneapolis/St. Paul for the Guard museum there some years back and sitting in that thing was tight. I can't imagine what it would be like wearing a space suit in the thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Sorry for the triple post. It was not my intention. It was my first time posting on this site. About the pansies, we took a trip to Las Vegas, out of 11 of us 6 bailed and turned around before crossing through Texas. I ride motorcycles, I am not just a weekend warrior nor is my bike a trailer queen.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts