V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
louder

Thanks roadkingnomad. Have you ever done that before? Can you get me some hints how to do that? I can't cut parts off and weld them on again!

·
Screw Prozac...Just Ride!
138 Posts
All you are going to do is hurt performance. Do yourself a favor and either buy a better exhaust or buy some slip-ons.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I have some Samson Silver bullet fishtail mufflers for sale if you want to keep your stock head pipes and just try some slip ons. They have a good sound to them, they were just not loud enough for me.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I took a dremel and cut around the end of the muffler cutting all the welds and pulled the baffel right out... sounds great, and not too loud (until you get on it) but at an idle it is not obnoxious. just my two cents-2$en#e-

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drilled mine, i put a 3/8 then went to 1/2 inch hole through the flat disc thats around 12 inches inside the pipe,its so thin it drills in a few secs,no problems,plugs look fine and it runs fine too,definately not slower in my opinion. I have a FLSTFiA,if you simply feel you want a bit more sound at no cost i thinks its just fine. 1/2 inch hole no more.
Then if you want to go get a superduper exhaust and filter/remap later great,i had screamin eagles on my sporty and my dyna,and just wanted a quieter ride this time...actually im not being honest,i wanted to save money !
Give it a try? Regards Dave,England.

·
Failure to Communicate
32 Posts
1/2" black pipe in about a 5 ft length that you are not concerned about using on anything again... :D get the mufflers off and bang that middle disk out of there until its flat. Worked on my 06 FXDi- stock mufflers with baffles banged in still suck, but sounds better until you can get pipes or slip on's or whatever...

-mainstreet

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sharpen up a spike (crowbar. prybar ,whatever) hold it on the center of the baffle and hit it with a 3 pound hammer just enough so you get a 1/2 hole. You can do 2 in each pipe or 1 in each. but you can start small and keep starting the bike and of you want it louder make hole bigger. That worked on my 06 Softail while my pipes were on backorder(about 1 week). I could not stand the sound of the stock motor. Me :thumbsup: now

·
Registered
107 Posts
hole saw

Much as the dremmel post, get a hole saw ( a sharp, new one) the exact size of the weld joint, inside diameter where the baffle assembly is welded fast at the end of the pipe. For a '06 FXDI, this is 2 inches. Lubricate while cutting. You can do this with everything on the bike. I used an 18VDC portable drill, plenty of power.
The whole damn thing comes right out.

I have seen this on 2 1200c's (carb) and 2, 06 FXDI 's Only loud if you;re hammering the throttle; actually "sounds" better than alot of exhaust junk out there. None of the 4 bikes involved seemed to report any dire need for rejetting or mapping for FI
Seems logical Torque performance may be degraded low rpm, but you said you want sound. This will do it at next to no cost and a little time.
I did this to my '06 FXDI and do not regret it. I see or feel no evidence that the bike is running excessively lean. If I lost torque, I can't really tell.
There are very few exhaust systems available for '06 Superglides, I guess due to the o2 sensors, even though 07's are just about here. Doesn't make sense to me, but in any case, there isn't much to choose from if you want to change the whole pipe, which I would to lose that ugly factory crossover rig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts