V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I just joined. I am seeking advice on what appears to be excessive valve noise on my 98 FLSTF. I bought it new. The engine has 80,000+ miles on it. The last 40,000+ miles Screamin' Eagle heads were installed along with a mild Andrews cam. Other changes that have been made over the years are Bub megaphone exhaust, a Hawgsbreath air cleaner, a PurePower oil filter, a Screamin' Eagle ignition module, Performance Machine 4 piston caliber in the front along with a floating rotor, and all break lines are now braided. I'm using Harley synthetic oil and change oil approximately every 3000 miles. The engine has run well until about a year ago. There now seems to be much more noise coming from the head area. The engine stills seems to have plenty of torque and power. I continue to be able to ride it on trips of a 100 to 300 miles, but am very weary. I also have an 85 FXRS with an Evo engine (no mods) that is much quieter. Does anyone have experience with this problem and what are the things I should be looking for? If you need more information let me know.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,081 Posts
If the lifters have 30,000 miles or more that's a good place to start.It's cheap insurance to at least avoid potential failure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I'm new to this forum. I just joined. I am seeking advice on what appears to be excessive valve noise on my 98 FLSTF. I bought it new. The engine has 80,000+ miles on it. The last 40,000+ miles Screamin' Eagle heads were installed along with a mild Andrews cam. Other changes that have been made over the years are Bub megaphone exhaust, a Hawgsbreath air cleaner, a PurePower oil filter, a Screamin' Eagle ignition module, Performance Machine 4 piston caliber in the front along with a floating rotor, and all break lines are now braided. I'm using Harley synthetic oil and change oil approximately every 3000 miles. The engine has run well until about a year ago. There now seems to be much more noise coming from the head area. The engine stills seems to have plenty of torque and power. I continue to be able to ride it on trips of a 100 to 300 miles, but am very weary. I also have an 85 FXRS with an Evo engine (no mods) that is much quieter. Does anyone have experience with this problem and what are the things I should be looking for? If you need more information let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Mine was a defective lifter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts