V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quickie here. Im 60 yrs old, rode since about 1970. Mostly harleys, always LOUD! Well, I now wear hearing aids, at about $4000 a pair. And they barely get the job done. Let me just say that there is NOTHING more humiliating and frustrating that to lose your hearing. Its a bitch! And in my view its just not worth it. The phone is ALWAYS ringing, and I miss out on most conversations. It wasnt all motorcycles that caused it. But if I could improve my hearing even a bit, I'd take all the loud pipes back. Guys, if you are one that is susseptable, you wont know it till its too late. Good ridin'....

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
i have vance and hines big shot staggards with thundermonster baffles in them with 204 cams it barks like you wouldent believe when ur standing becide the bike... when ur on it you can barley hear it with all the wind and all... the only time it hurts my ears is going under and overpass .. :gun: :gun: :gun:

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
You missed the point entirely. If the wind is blocking the noise of the pipes you are just as truley fuk'd. You won't even notice it until one night you are laying in bed, the house is quiet and you notice a faint ring. Ignore it and sooner than later, you will notice it during day to day conversations. You might be able to stop it at that stage, but you won't even try. I now wear ear plugs, thankfully before I needed a hearing aid. But I still fall asleep at night to the sound of swarming mosquitos.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
csoday said:
You missed the point entirely. If the wind is blocking the noise of the pipes you are just as truley fuk'd. You won't even notice it until one night you are laying in bed, the house is quiet and you notice a faint ring. Ignore it and sooner than later, you will notice it during day to day conversations. You might be able to stop it at that stage, but you won't even try. I now wear ear plugs, thankfully before I needed a hearing aid. But I still fall asleep at night to the sound of swarming mosquitos.
I've been thinking of ear plugs, not for the pipe noise, but for the wind noise. Which do you use?

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
Just the standard issue jobsite rubber ones. I've thought about the customs but I'd just lose them. Any safety shoe store or even Home Depot carries them.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I work in a factory so know some about this issue. Many people I work with say they don't wear them because they bother their ears. My ressponse is won't it bother your ears when you can't hear. all ear plugs don't block off sound they are filters for sounds over certain levels that are damaging to your ears. they have a rating on them ( NRR ) which stands for Noise Reduction Rated, the higher the number the more they protect you. I use some at work that are 29 NRR. we sometimes have ones rated at NRR 33 I prefer those. here's a link to the ones I like.

http://store.yahoo.com/earplugstore/holemaxuffop.html

I use the disposable ones at work have only used them once when riding, I mliked using them when riding and should use them more.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I always wear ear plugs while riding do drown out the wind noise except when just scooting slowly around town. I have Shure E2C headphones that I use with my iPod which have the foam like earplugs on them and are also noise cancelling. It cuts out the wind and most of the pipe noise so I can listen to tunes. I only keep the iPod loud enough to hear the music.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
thatoldbike said:
I always wear ear plugs while riding do drown out the wind noise except when just scooting slowly around town. I have Shure E2C headphones that I use with my iPod which have the foam like earplugs on them and are also noise cancelling. It cuts out the wind and most of the pipe noise so I can listen to tunes. I only keep the iPod loud enough to hear the music.
This is a problem I have been having. I can hear the iPod up to about 50 miles per hour... then the wind noise drowns out the music.

Do you wear a 1/2 helmet and at what speed does the wind cancel the music with the Shure E2C earbuds.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
I like the Etymotic 20s you can get them from Aerostich too.

They protect the ears but you and still hear someone talk to you which is a nice feature. Wife and I both won't ride without them.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
i dident miss anything csoday.... i cant ride with ear plugs makes me feel like i cant here something or cars around me or something just like i cant wear a full face mask makes me feel clostrafobic like its only in tunnel vision i cant stand that stuff i like riding without ear plugs unless im on the highway but i never am... just running around the country roads... :boxin:

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
8-Ball said:
This is a problem I have been having. I can hear the iPod up to about 50 miles per hour... then the wind noise drowns out the music.

Do you wear a 1/2 helmet and at what speed does the wind cancel the music with the Shure E2C earbuds.
Yeah, I've got a half helmet. I also have a windshield to cut the wind. I don't have to blast the iPod to hear it. We average 75 mph going to Sturgis last year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Loud pipes

Wow! Im glad some of you really are concerned for you ears. Yes, the ringing at nite is a definite sign youre getting damaged. Sounds like crickets when it gets real bad.
The pipes will echo back off of anything, curbs, cars, tunnels, whatever. My right ear is almost all gone. Obvious evidence of the right side exhaust.
There are some real nice mellow pipes out there if you just take the time to find them. The sound stays behind you nicely. And dont kid yourself, the wind makes enough noise to damage also. A windshield has made it possible for me to continue to ride. I now ride a dressor (FLHTCU) for that reason alone-quiet! I can even ride with my hearing aids turned on, and still hear the wind and pipes nicely without the bellowing. Its all about the ride, not the noise.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
thatoldbike said:
Ditto on the ear plugs....Concerning getting music, many have upgraded their speakers etc. . . so that they can hear the music once they get over 65mph or more to hear the music over the wind noise. I never could get the grasp on why. I use ear buds with nylong stocking dewrag to help them stay in place and viola, music at a reasonable level from the iPod, very little wind noise or pipe noise. And when we stop at the end of the day...I'm the one that doesn't say Uhh all the time!:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm glad this thread was started. I'm in my 50s and run V&H Big Shots. I already had a semi-hearing loss due to the number of times I'd go to the range while in the Army and toss the hearing protection. Big mistake that I am now realizing. Anyway, I've found that ringing in my ears after a ride and I've found the wind noise to be particularly annoying. After reading this thread, I'm getting some ear plugs to protect what hearing I have left. Man, getting old really sux, but I've had a great time.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
8-Ball said:
I've been thinking of ear plugs, not for the pipe noise, but for the wind noise. Which do you use?

Custom made ear plugs, made from silicon, they fit EXACTLY to your ears! Very comfortable and you can keep/have 'em always clean!

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
[email protected]
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
2001 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI HDI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
(Set two: Wild Pig Pipes, 2" baffles)
Ape Hanger
Back Rest
Kuryakyn Spider Light
et cetera

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Ok, if your pipes are SO loud that you need ear plugs so YOU don't hear them, why are you subjecting the rest of the world to them? You aren't hearing their golden tone with ear plugs in, so why not get something quieter and do us all a favor? Wind noise, OK. But for your own pipes? Thanks for nothing. Pi$$ off the populace just to think you're cool...
Oh, and if somebody comes up with a "Loud pipes save what?" patch, I'll buy one. Maybe even w/ a "Huh?" thrown in for the terminally slow among us.

<Off soapbox, walking away scratching my a$$...>

1 - 20 of 99 Posts