V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mt 02 roadking has a loud knocking noise when you first start it up when cold, it knocks for about one minute or so, and also when it is hot and sits for a half hour or so it will knock, some have said the componsator nut could be loose but if that is the case would it not knock all the time? This bike has new lifters cam bearings cams oil pump cam shoes and i use amsoil 20/50 and a amsoil filter, because this bike has about 60,000 miles on it i put 3 quarts of ams 20/50 and 1 quart of ams 60 just to give it more body. This bike made this same noise last year and after sitting all winter for the first three months of this season it did not knock at all and in august after about 100 miles into our bike trip it started to knock again, the first time this started 3 years ago the h-d dealer thought it was a lifter bleeding down but since that there has been two sets of lifters put in,no shavings in oil,
is it possible to check comp nut without removing the outer primary? Possibly threw inspection cover?
Any help would be greatful thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
My ’99 often made the same knocking racket under same conditions as you mention. I assumed it was lifter bleed down related. After replacing cams, lifters and oil pump some 60k miles ago, I have yet to hear any knocking since.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no such luck with mine, I had the problem before the new parts and still have the problem now

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
Check the comp nut, when loose it knocks intermittently, usually with first start up when cold and with subsequent start ups after sitting.

You have to remove the primary cover to get to it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts