V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 02 roadking has a loud knocking noise coming from the rear jug and it is top end noise, it will knock for about 1 min until it warms up and after you let it sit for a half hour or so it will knock for a few seconds, the bike has new lifters cam bearings oil pump, cam shoes ect, this problem was here before and it went away for about half a season and now it is back , anybody had this problem? any sugestions?

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Piston slap shows up in my pickup when the weather changes to cool every year. Maybe it's happening in your Twin Cam?

·
Registered
291 Posts
How many miles on the engine?
Did you use quick-install push rods when you changed the lifters?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi Man

Same thing has been happening with my 120" for a couple years now,, no biggy to me..
I don't worry bout it..

In mine, I have No reason to believe it's Not simply a slow Lifter,,,, no indications of it till it starts getting cooler..

I needed to freshen up the top-end last year with .010" over pistons & rings, No other changes and it did Not go away, I bet it woulda if I'd done liters too but the wheels were good and the Cam looked perfect sooo why,, just to prevent a wee noise..

Yippe ti yea

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Man

Same thing has been happening with my 120" for a couple years now,, no biggy to me..
I don't worry bout it..

In mine, I have No reason to believe it's Not simply a slow Lifter,,,, no indications of it till it starts getting cooler..

I needed to freshen up the top-end last year with .010" over pistons & rings, No other changes and it did Not go away, I bet it woulda if I'd done liters too but the wheels were good and the Cam looked perfect sooo why,, just to prevent a wee noise..

Yippe ti yea
mine is not a wee noise and it doesn,t just do it when it is cold weather

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many miles on the engine?
Did you use quick-install push rods when you changed the lifters?
no I used the orig push rods, they were fine, the bike has about 60.000 miles on it, I was thinking it might a pluged push rod

·
Registered
19 Posts
My tc has the one in the front making noise. First time i heard it was when i started her up in the cold after parking for amonth or so , when almost away but still hear a slights tick

·
Registered
412 Posts
""""this problem was here before and it went away for about half a season and now it is back ,""""

I understood that to mean it has come back since it started getting colder..

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
my 02 roadking has a loud knocking noise coming from the rear jug and it is top end noise, it will knock for about 1 min until it warms up and after you let it sit for a half hour or so it will knock for a few seconds, the bike has new lifters cam bearings oil pump, cam shoes ect, this problem was here before and it went away for about half a season and now it is back , anybody had this problem? any sugestions?
I have this happen to my bikes from time to time. I believe that it happens because there is not enough oil to the top end and or a lifter is not quite pumped up.

I find that it happens first start up following an oil chance, if the bike has been sitting for a long time, or in cold weather. As soon as the oil gets to the top end the noise stops.

I don't think it's in any way pathological, I just think it's one of those things common to an air cooled V-Twin.

Both of my bikes do it, and they both run perfectly and are dependable. On occasion I have had the motors apart for upgrades and have no evidence of any abnormal wear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 02 Road King had the same noise. It started around 5000 miles and when I got rid of it 2 weeks ago with 80,000 miles on it, it still had the noise. I never really worried about it as someone once told me they all made noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts