V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All
I jumped on my 2009 Superglide for the first ride in a couple weeks because it was warm and I thought to take advantage of a warmer than normal day. I pulled it out of garage and the first thing it was slow to fire when I pushed
start button but it fired up and I got going. Turned it off about a block away to briefly chat with a neighbor but when I
started to ride. I notice a lot of back firing which it never did before and when I got off the throttle it wanted to stall out.
I had to keep revving and barely made it back to garage. I didnt want to have to call AAA or get stuck someplace the
day before hunting season. Last time I ever heard it backfire was when I didnt know any better and put in a tank of gas that was not premium. Any ideas? If my gas might have been going bad, is there a good additive? Should I try to drain the tank and try some fresh gas? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
Some more experienced folks will chime in I'm sure but I wouldn't be so quick to blame the gas unless it's really nasty stuff that's gunking up the fuel filter. I will occasionally run regular gas in my Dyna with 10.5:1 when the temps are below 70 and never have a problem. Same with the Street Glide.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
I'd start by checking for any codes.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Also take a look at your spark plugs. And the fuel line inside the tank. Even a pinhole will make it run like crap.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Since I don't have much idea about your your riding and maintenance habits, I'll throw a few things out there.

When you say slow to fire, be more specific. Did it turn over slower, or did it turn over normal and you had to crank longer than the second or so that it normally takes? Like maybe 5-6 or even more time to start.

Turned it off a block away. You already knew the motorcycle was trying to tell you there was an issue. Did you think the block you rode was enough to return the charge to the battery that you pulled out when you initially started up. A normal start probably wouldn't have been much problem, but slow or extended cranking will really pull the amps out of one of these small batteries.

I see from your previous posts that your battery is about 2 1/2 years old. If it sat for 2 weeks since the last time you were out on it and now has developed a starting issue, it might be a good idea to have your favorite Indy or even the dealership do a load test on the battery to determine it's condition. Or you could even pull the battery and take it to a battery shop or most any chain auto parts place to have it tested. Aftermarket or even Harley batteries aren't what they used to be. I would think that these newer bikes with their fuel injection could have some running issues when your voltage is low.

As far as fuel goes, do you use the current mix of gas and ethanol? If you don't run that out on a regular basis, it will cause all sorts of problems in your fuel system. I have a friend that uses and sell that Star Tron stuff, but there is a bunch of different products that are supposed to do the same thing. Which is to keep the ethanol from reacting with any water that forms in the tank or other parts of the fuel system and really corrodes the bike's innards. You know like condensation that forms when there is some air space in the tank. Sitting for an extended time like a couple of weeks or over the winter will give the ethanol plenty of time to do it's magic. Personally, I will ride 10 miles out of my way and pay the extra .30 to .50 @gal. to put straight gas in my bike just so I don't have to worry about that problem. You might find this useful and informative. Just pick a state or any place within reasonable riding distance.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada (pure-gas.org)

What do you do during the off season? Do you drain the tank for the winter? If you are asking about additives, you probably haven't been adding anything to it for the last couple of winters. Some of the other riders from up north will have some good suggestions for prepping the bike for winter storage. I'm not up on that since there is year round riding down here. Some things might seem excessive, but it sort of like the old saying: You can pay me now, or you can pay me later.

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
low battery voltage or a partially shorted battery,, even a charging/voltage regulator problem will cause the same issues

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
Have the battery charged and load tested. Then check the charging system. From what you describe it seems that maybe your charging system is not charging.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Some other light reading for your winter off season would be issues with the compensator. I don't have all the fine details, but I know they were replacing the stocker with an SE version, which was also replaced with another SE version. I think they made that standard some years ago. If you don't know for sure that yours was replaced before you came on the scene, you might want to do some exploring while you have the time. But it's not all gloom and doom. At least you don't have the old style cam chain tensioners to worry about.

A weak battery will cause havoc in the primary side during starting. All sorts of clanging, clunking, and kick backs. Not to mention parts will start breaking. All the way down to the crank.

·
Super Moderator
20,643 Posts
As said above, see if it will tell you what's up by flagging a code. After that, seeing as its an 09, the system relay should be checked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts