V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the lub on thr primary of my fat boy ,I may have dropped the derbybolt washer in the primary. I was told not to worry about it. What do you think. Ken

·
Registered
929 Posts
Was it a metal or plastic washer? I wouldn't worry about the plastic, but I personally would be getting the metal one out. Try fishing around through the hole with a magnet.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
If it's no too large it will end up sticking to the rotor magnet and you'll not going to find it without taking the compensator assy apart. I wouldn't worry, we found nastier stuff sitting quietly at the bottom of primaries.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
With my luck, I'd be trying to get it out. I would even go as far as taking the cover off. It's really now that big of a job and it could get caught up in the chain and mess that up.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Try a either a small mechanic's flexible magnet on the inside or take a powerful magnet(speaker, harbor freight, large animal, etc) on the outside of the primary, start at the bottom and move it towards the opening and see if you can scoot the washer up towards the opening w/ the magnetic pull.

·
Registered
822 Posts
First try using a magnet like others have already suggested. If that fails, pull the primary cover off and get it out. It's easy to take the cover off and bolt it back on. If you're careful, you can even reuse the primary cover gasket without any leak issues. If you leave that metal washer inside with that chain and sprockets running you're going to tear something up for sure.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
catken said:
While changing the lub on thr primary of my fat boy ,I may have dropped the derbybolt washer in the primary. I was told not to worry about it. What do you think. Ken

#1 question: Did it come with the extra washer floating around in the primary?:whisper:

Answer : NO! :thumbsdn:

Solution to #1 question: Make darn sure you remove the extra washer! :duh?:

Extra parts have a habit of causing extra work.... Sometimes very expensive!!! :huh: #@SasF#

{salute( :spank: {salute(

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would going through the inspection plate give me more room to minuver a magnet and should I drain the fluid before I go fishing. Thanks Ken

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
catken said:
Would going through the inspection plate give me more room to minuver a magnet and should I drain the fluid before I go fishing. Thanks Ken

Yes to the inspection cover and don't drain the fluid if it's not dirty / service time.

·
Flying low
812 Posts
I haven't replaced the inspection cover or derby cover gaskets ever, no leaks after 5-6 removals. I did buy a new gasket for the primary cover, but saved the old one -- it's obviously still good, so I'll re-use it if & when this one bites the dust. They're not cheap. The original one is steel or aluminum with red silicone around the edges, the new one is thin aluminum with some sort of black rubber-ish stuff coating both sides. I've had the cover on & off twice now with that gasket, no leaks.

·
Banned
3,694 Posts
catken said:
Does the inspection plate need a new gasket or can the old one be reused Ken

Most of the time it's reusable. If it does leak after you reinstall it, it's no big deal to remove and replace.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Washer

It does not belong in there.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
catken said:
I would be sure that it is not inside there. If your luck is like mine you will go to the painful trouble to find it and after having everything apart, find it under a rag or something on the floor. Don't ask me how I know this. But it led to language that would have removed my posting privileges on this forum!

Jay

1 - 16 of 16 Posts