V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nukes flown cross country
That's a fairly unbiased version of the story. I actually read a news blog that blamed this on Bush's intelligence.

I load bombs for a living but have only loaded practice nukes a few times. At work we were talking about how this could happen. I wanted to let you guys know what we came up with before anyone calls us morons or blames this on the current administration. This is a lot of speculation but it comes from many decades of combined expierence.

The ACMs (those missiles in question) come in two styles, real and neon orange. Neon orange being fake. The real ones have NO visual designation that says if it's got a nuclear warhead or a practice one. The ACMs were put onto a pylon at a preload facility, then mounted to the jet by a load crew. Somehow (cough AMMO cough) the warheads were still in the missiles that I'm pretty sure were being sent to LA to be decomissioned.

The big question comes when the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty is brought up. I know some about the treaty but tomorrow I'm going to look into wether it was violated by what happened. I think it was but I need to re-read the letter of the law. If this had happend during or shortly after the G8 summit it could have been worse. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the world reacts.

Fear not, no one was ever in any danger. These nukes take more to detonate than you would imagine.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Well you're gonna piss a lot of people off if you say they can't blame Bush since there's quite a few around here that directly tie the President to ANY problem this country faces. It's just easier that way because it requires less brain power than to explore other possibilities.

This statement has been brought to you by a voter who DID NOT vote for President Bush in the 2004 election.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I guess I'm too simple...I don't believe there was any danger to the public so what's the big deal...now how about the Russian Bombers found wandering around NATO territory:

This strike me as a little more provocative!

UK Intercepts Russian Bombers

( Sky ) - The Bear Tu95 planes - which can carry nuclear and Cruise missiles - were detected by Nato early this morning.

Tornado intercepts Bear last monthBritish fighters were scrambled from RAF Leeming in Yorkshire and the Russian planes diverted before entering British territory.

They and headed back to their base in north Russia without incident and are still thought to be in the air, with Nato tracking their progress.

Sky's Defence Correspondent Geoff Meade said: "Diplomatic relations between Moscow and London haven't been great for some time and I think this is maybe a bit of sabre-rattling on behalf of the Russians.

"This is the biggest formation of Russian aircraft to be challenged in this way since the Cold War and marks a stepping up of Moscow's challenge to British defences."

He described the incident - the second of its kind in a month - as a "probing mission".

No HiAngle...I didn't blame this on Bush either :hystria:

·
Registered
180 Posts
No problems

We lose them all the time! Several were in crashes in Spain and there is still one missing near Goldsboro, NC SJAFB that was lost in th 60's. They dug up the field down to 300 feet and never could fine the darn thing.............EVERYTHING in the detonationation sequence must be exactly right or no go. The Navy has the best way to identify them. The cases are polished stainless steel and never seen by all but a few on board. If ya need a big bang grab a silvertip.....................

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
airman said:
We lose them all the time! Several were in crashes in Spain and there is still one missing near Goldsboro, NC SJAFB that was lost in th 60's. They dug up the field down to 300 feet and never could fine the darn thing.............EVERYTHING in the detonationation sequence must be exactly right or no go. The Navy has the best way to identify them. The cases are polished stainless steel and never seen by all but a few on board. If ya need a big bang grab a silvertip.....................
TRUE!!!

Four nukes are lost in Almeria, Spain after a in flight crash ot two planes the January 17 1966, last nuke was found by an old fisherman.

Now the beach were the nukes land, still is radioactive, because they lost the plutonium content.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
airman said:
They dropped one off of Tybee Island Ga back in the 60's, its sunk in the marsh mud till this day.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
it is the concept that should concern everyone

It not the threat of these things going off and ending the world that should frighten us it is the simple concept that those who are suppose to be so organized and careful about everything let this kind of stuff happen. And it seems that it has happened a number of times.

On the one side we can not walk through an airport without being subject to search and seizure of our excess amounts (over 3 ounces) of hair gel. And on the other we have the military accidentally losing track of a few nuclear devices every now and then.

Seems like we might need a bit more security on the basics of military owned and operated munitions and arms more than concerns over hair gel and lighters.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
toybox99615 said:
It not the threat of these things going off and ending the world that should frighten us it is the simple concept that those who are suppose to be so organized and careful about everything let this kind of stuff happen. And it seems that it has happened a number of times.

On the one side we can not walk through an airport without being subject to search and seizure of our excess amounts (over 3 ounces) of hair gel. And on the other we have the military accidentally losing track of a few nuclear devices every now and then.

Seems like we might need a bit more security on the basics of military owned and operated munitions and arms more than concerns over hair gel and lighters.

oh really,

don't try and deflect our attention from keeping radical islamist off airplanes,trains etc.

Of course flying the nukes like this is a serious screw up.

It does not mean radical islamist have packed up and ridden off into the sunset.

nice to see you back at the keyboard

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
global protection for everyone from everything

knuckleheader said:
oh really,

don't try and deflect our attention from keeping radical islamist off airplanes,trains etc.

Of course flying the nukes like this is a serious screw up.

It does not mean radical Islamist have packed up and ridden off into the sunset.

nice to see you back at the keyboard
Knuckle you seem to be a believer that we can protect everyone from everything if we just allow Homeland Security to have unlimited control of everyone all the time. Islamist have not ridden off into the sunset; perhaps they find new promises of sucess in accomplishing another dastardly deed when they read of how easily our own military can not account for or track a few minor weapons of mass destruction. It brings hope to the wacko that they too may be able to simply get around a system that is not working.

Ten weeks of vacation and I'm back to pry into your inner fears! Actualy the changes I notice on the forums are a quit interesting. Why I favor the reduction of slamming that was going on between a few members I regret the board becoming a bit more mundane. Where have the heavy discussion over political issues gone?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
lead agency = being in charge

HiAngle said:
Oh making assumptions again........

http://www.educause.edu/ir/library/pdf/CSD3754.pdf

Take a read and see if your opinion(s) on the DHS wanting to control everything hold true.
From their proposal at the aforementioned site:

The Department of Homeland Security is the lead agency for the overall
national effort to enhance CI/KR protection. In this role,
DHS establishes uniform policies and approaches for
protection activities, and tracks performance and progress
in program implementation. DHS is also the lead agency
for the overall assessment of the terrorist threat to the
Nation.

Seems if they develop the plan, implement the plan and control the plan they are the ones in charge. That is a simple self fulfilling prophesy: first you establish a new agency with no controls over it then you allow them to develop the strategic plan others will follow and follow it up with allowing them to become the lead agency.

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
So that's where you stopped reading? Give me a break.

And can I assume from your reply that you think "nobody should be in charge"? Should the federal givernment not be incharge of a federal initiative? Or would you prefer that there's a bunch of different standards out there and it's void of synchronization?

Then of course you'll be the first one to piss and moan when the federal government fumbles when they try to respond to a crisis, right? Nice try, but "not so much".

And explain how being in charge equates to "unlimited control", which was your accusation.

·
Banned
3,710 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
...now how about the Russian Bombers found wandering around NATO territory:

This strike me as a little more provocative!

UK Intercepts Russian Bombers

He described the incident - the second of its kind in a month - as a "probing mission".

"probing mission"[email protected]: @gree:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Watch our checkbook allies

Now that this is happening let's see how long it takes for our checkbook Allies to start loving America again. I love how this stuff turns around.

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
follow the politics

HiAngle said:
So that's where you stopped reading? Give me a break.

And can I assume from your reply that you think "nobody should be in charge"? Should the federal givernment not be incharge of a federal initiative? Or would you prefer that there's a bunch of different standards out there and it's void of synchronization?

Then of course you'll be the first one to piss and moan when the federal government fumbles when they try to respond to a crisis, right? Nice try, but "not so much".

And explain how being in charge equates to "unlimited control", which was your accusation.

Lets see a new agency (DHS) gets created and manned by a number of political appointees who without exception agree to implementing a policy established by the current President. Within a short period that agency is supervising and approving the actions of every other agency on all aspects of homeland security, terrorism and investigations of any aspect of anyone involved in terrorist activities (undefined as to what those might exactly be) and you doubt they are being given ultimate control. How would you define ultimate control if it does not include your ability to supervise and approve of all actions and implementations of every other agency? Who if anyone is supervising DHS? Themselves of course.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts