V-Twin Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There I was. Sitting at the red light on Canal Blvd. It was a clear day here in New Orleans and I was heading to my girls house to pick here up on my way to the Blue Oyster for some afternoon cocktails.

As I left the the light my back tire kinda slipped to the right cuasing me to lose directional control of the bike. I don't know how this happened but my new V-ROD always does this when I hit it hard. This time though I must've gotten off on some Anti-Freeze or oil or something.

Well, at this point I decided that I should rely on something I was taught by my late riding buddy. "When in doubt gas it!" So I did. The back end came around and wiggled a little bit. I thought I had it under control but then the rear end stepped out hard and the bike shot across the median.

When the bike hit the curb it ejected me like like a ragdoll and I was thrown onto my back in the grass. It knocked the hell out of me. I couldn't see what the the bike was doing but I shure heard it when it slammed into something that sounded like a car. I cringed.

I slowly sat up and what I saw horrified me. My bike had gone into the back seet of a young woman's Geo Prism. I managed to get my act together and walked quickly over to her. She had to get out on the passenger side. Once she got out she looked like she wanted to kill me and started cursing me. She called me every name in the book. I was speechless.

To make matters worse, there was an infant in the front seat. All I could think about was what if the child would've been in the back seat. The cops came and wrote me up for Failure to maintain control of a motor vehicle. I counted myself lucky.

As far as injuries I received I was lucky as well. One sprained ankle and rist. A twisted thumb resulting in my having difficulties lighting my smokes. Sore everywhere. Espescially my back. Bruised right shin and a big bruise on my right hip. I still don't know how I got that.

I just thank the good lord that I had my doorag on because if not the scratches on my head would have been a lot worse. I'm also glad that this happened before I got a couple of beers in me. The cops asked if I had been drinking and eyed me up real good.

This is my first bike and I was a little careless I think. $27,000 and gone. I've got some thinking to do. Not sure if I'll ever ride again but I thought I'd share this with you guys.

I know this is my first post on this site but I wanted to share this with all of you so that you coulsd learn from a newbies mistake. When in doubt don't gas it!

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
Mahattma_Sterno said:
V-ROD always does this when I hit it hard
I felt the same fishtail the first time I rode mine too. I think it's a factor of the hydraulic clutch and the very fat tire. The bike is very tricky on the start, especially when turning into an intersection.

I am so glad that you and the other driver and her child are o.k.
I know you feel bad right now, but accidents happen. You could have been driving a pick-up truck and the results would have been even worse.

Good luck, and God bless.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Huh? Are you speaking of HP? I think the bike is rated for 120 HP. Although I've had my ass handed to me by some squid on a 600 Ninja the other day. I thought I would take him out of the hole and I did. As soon as we got to about 40 miles per hour he was gone. I was kinda dissappointed that my $27,000 ROD lost to a $7000.00 Rice Burner!

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Hey Mhattama,

Glad to hear that you are alright and thank goodness nobody was injured in the GEO. Count your blessings. Look at it this way, at least you had insurance, so you should be getting a nice paycheck soon.

Afterall, crashes happen to the best of us. Best of luck in getting this thing rectified.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mahattma_Sterno said:
Huh? Are you speaking of HP? I think the bike is rated for 120 HP. Although I've had my ass handed to me by some squid on a 600 Ninja the other day. I thought I would take him out of the hole and I did. As soon as we got to about 40 miles per hour he was gone. I was kinda dissappointed that my $27,000 ROD lost to a $7000.00 Rice Burner!
If you bought your V-Rod to race crotch rockets on you bought it for the wrong reason.

Sorry to hear about your loss, nice bike.

·
Registered
380 Posts
glad you are not hert to bad but maybe next time a little lighter on the throttle. the V Rod may have a lot of low end but those crotch rockets are made for top end. i just let them go and hope i do not see them rapped around a tree some where down the road.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
DUDE! YOU TOTALED A PRISIM! :D

Having been stuck in a Kia, and then a Mazda after being hit by a Sportage. You are my hero! :D

Hey, If this gives ya second thoughts about rideing, then ya never should a started. Glad everyone is Ok though. Now buy a cage and watch out for us riders out there. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Damn, Glad everyone is ok. Word of advice. Next time. LET OFF THE GAS!!! and grab the freak'n clutch. I don't mean to flame you or noth'n but this sounds like lack of experience. If you buy the bike back would you be interested in selling the engine?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I don't think this is a reason to stop riding, just learn from your experience (or lack of) and move on. Your late riding buddy (when in duoubt, gas it) is (or was) full of ****.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How did your "late buddy" become "late"? :confused:
Listenin' to his own, BAD, advice? :eek:
"Speed is your Friend!", sometimes!
When your backside is tryin' to be your frontside is NOT one of those times!
Glad no one was seriously injured!
TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY FOUNDATION Newbie course!!!!!!!!!!
And, PLEASE, don't mix booze & scooters!!!!!!!!!!!
Climb back in the saddle, bud, but with some common sense next time!
bear aka Don B

·
Registered
32 Posts
Moron

I'll be polite as I can. You bloody idiot! What were you thinking when for your first bike you bought a 100hp hot rod. What makes your story worse is the fact that you were on the way to a bar. If you cant ride sober how are you going to do it drunk? Stay off your bike and read the following before you kill someone besides yourself.

Here's a good idea that I make all my girls or friends do BEFORE they go near the road. For 6 months they ride a dirt bike. But one that can not be licencesed so you cant be tempted to ride it on the road. After learning how to ride a bike that slides everywhere etc they then do a acredited course, then go get a licence. Then stay the hell away from bars. The bike does not make the man. The man makes the bike.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
I think he feels bad enough,Pete!
Glad to hear no one was seriously injured,coulda been a real nightmare.

One drink while riding is one drink too many! Just my personal philosophy.

Man,I must be gettin' old,first bike,V-rod,27grand.My first bike,Kawasaki Z-1,600 bucks!

If you decide to ride again,use some common sense,if you find this hard to do then by all means buy a Porshe,just stay the hell out of Maine!!
guido

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I know that most of you guys think I'm a dork. Truth is I feel like one now with all that's happened. I bought this bike to satisfy a yearning for a Harley that I've had ever since I was a kid. I never could afford one until recently when my father passed. He was my late riding buddy. He used to take out on the bike all of the time when I was a kid. After he and my mother split I moved from Mississippi to New Orleans with my mother and our rides together abruptly stopped.

He recently died of medical complications involving prescription drugs. He'd been riding for a long time and just recently sold his bike because he wasn't riding it anymore. I wish he wouldn't have done that. He also has unfortunate bout with colon cancer then got hooked on the prescription drugs that eventually killed him. He was 54.

Anyway I inherited a lot of money and thought of what better way to remember my father than to buy a bike. When I saw the V-ROD it reminded me of him so I bought it.

Anyway, enough of my personal life. With all that's happened over the last couple of weeks I need to rethink why I'm riding. It's not to be my dad but just that I thought about him alot when I rode.

Experienced I'm not. Crazy, maybe a little. My girl begged me not to get the bike. I told her that I thought it would help heal the scars left by my father's death. To be honest, I'm not thinking about his scars right now as much as the ones that this little episode inflicted on me.

As far a selling anything off of the bike I'll have to wait and see. The freekin thing is in bad shape. The whole front of the bike is destroyed. I'm not sure the motor is ok either. There was some oil coming out of the engine. I don't know if that's normal or not but it wasn't doing that when it was ridable. The gas tank is destroyed and of course the radiotor is gone. Handle bars and controls as well. The little bell I hung on the handle bar in rememberence of my father was gone too. When I was talking to the cops I was continually scanning the ground and the car trying to find it. Then the ambulance came and took me off to Charity hospital where I spent the night for observation.

This whole thing sucks. I can't even beat off right now and my girl sure ain't being too generous with the,,how shoud I say... gratuities of a heterosexual relationship. She's kinda pissed right now. Pisses me off. She walks around the apartment in her underwear shakin' them big 'ol tities at me and I can't even grab them without experiencing pain in my hands. If I'm lucky enough to be doped up on Codien and want some she says, "NO!" No one told me that you can't get laid after dumping you bike.

I think I'm an embarrassment to here in her cicle. The guys come around to see how I'm doing and all but as far as I know she might be bumping uglies with them while I lay in bed at night wishing that I could slap the old wrinkle dragon while she's gone.

I'll keep you guys posted of my progress. And if the Insurance co totals it I might just go out and get another one. If I can find one.

gotta go now. typing this with one finger is killing my hand and the ole' lady should be home shortly.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
My condolences on the passing of your father,Mahattma.

If your serious about another bike stick around this forum,ask questions.This place is full of great people who will gladly share their experiences & knowledge with you,all ya gotta do is ask.The more we know the better we all are,knowledge is power!

It takes a big person to admit they screwed up,good luck to you.
guido

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Mahattma_Sterno said:

Anyway, enough of my personal life.

I can't even beat off right now and my girl sure ain't being too generous with the,,how shoud I say... gratuities of a heterosexual relationship. She's kinda pissed right now. Pisses me off. She walks around the apartment in her underwear shakin' them big 'ol tities at me and I can't even grab them without experiencing pain in my hands.

Sorry man, an I'm glad you're ok, but......... Funny as fuk! :D :D :D

At least your sence of humor's intact!;)

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.