V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Maine, my freinds call me Smitty. I have a '99 superglide that I've never had any probs with till today. The prob is the bike will start and run for about 5 or 10 seconds and die and it will do this continuosly as long as I turn the key off and then back on before hitting the start button, If I just hit the start button on the handlebar when it dies it doesn't have any spark ( the engine will just crank and crank but not fire up, I turn the key off then on, hit the start button and it fires up instantly for another 5 or 10 seconds ). I've checked the battery connections, changed the plugs, hooked up the battery tender on it to let it charge overnight while I try to figure out what to try next.
The check engine light is working normal ,it stays on for about 4 seconds after you turn the key ON as it should so I don't think it would be a sensor of some type that's gone bad . I'm geussing maybe the key switch itself is bad but thought I'd ask for some opinions. Maybe somebody else has had this same thing happen and could offer me some advice.
Thanks, Smitty

·
Registered
506 Posts
Don't know if you have them on your bike but a worn out "Short Stop" relay will do that. Also a faulty Bank Angle Sensor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts