V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread here, so bear with me if I get long winded. Back around Christmas time I ordered Hogpro 8 Spoke wheels, brake rotors and pulley. I had a local custom shop do the installation. They moaned plenty about having to cut spacers to make the job go.

I'm on a ride and just pulling into where I was headed and hear a clunking. Pulled into my parking spot and checked it out. Low and behold some of the bolts were coming out of the pulley and the clunking was the heads hitting the swingarms.

Tightened the bolts up myself but took it back to the shop. They said they put new longer bolts in and of course used Loctite which I'm thinking they didn't the first time. Well I'm out this evening and this problem has returned!

Has anyone had any such similar trouble? I've given consideration to using RED Loctite, but I'm not real big on this idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Use whatever is necessary to keep them tight before you ruin your Rims and Pulley, i didn't and had to replace both because the screws being loose caused the holes to become oblong.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
claytp1 said:
Has anyone had any such similar trouble? I've given consideration to using RED Loctite, but I'm not real big on this idea.
The manual specifies RED loctite on the pulley bolts. Two drops.

·
Livin' Free Indeed
1,052 Posts
Friend had the same problem. Coming back from Canyon Lake the bolts started backing out. Pulled over, went to Home Depot & got some red threadlocker & a set of allen wrenches & solved the problem. The same thing happened to him at Roosevelt Lake. Just curious, what shop did you take your bike to that is in your area?

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AzFAL said:
Friend had the same problem. Coming back from Canyon Lake the bolts started backing out. Pulled over, went to Home Depot & got some red threadlocker & a set of allen wrenches & solved the problem. The same thing happened to him at Roosevelt Lake. Just curious, what shop did you take your bike to that is in your area?
Chandler Custom Cycle.

I talked to Hogpro this morning. They had some issues with the hub that was being corrected about the time I got my rims. So, they're going to send out a new hub and bolts. I'm going to insist that RED Loctite be used this time. It's a PIA but at least I know it's a hub they trust and the threads will be all new and clean. Sometimes it's best to start over.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Hopefully the new hub will solve the problem. Either way, if the shop used Red loctite on the bolts they wouldn't just unscrew themselves no matter what kind of issues were going on with the hub. Red loctite basically cements the bolts to whatever they are screwed into. It takes a decent amount of heat to loosen them. I'd be suspect of the shop if they didn't add red loctite to the bolts when they installed it in the first place. You should be able to tell by looking at the bolts that came out. There should be some red resedue on them from the loctite. Good luck...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Couldn't help but notice that it was mentioned that the Manufacturer stated: "....they were having some problems with hubs...." (Which might include an oversized diameter hole that didn't have threads deep enough to retain the torqued bolts in the first place, Loctited or not).

Glad nobody got hurt or killed. Nice to hear the Mfgr. stood behind the poor quality(?) and are sending replacement parts free of charge. They should.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, but it sounds like you're getting it straightened out.

With me, RED Loctite is the rule with wheels, rotors and pulleys.....
My -2$en#e-
DLR

·
Smoke tires, not drugs.
46 Posts
Yea, Service manual calls for red loctite, so it will be fine to use that. I believe it calls for around 60 or 65 ft-lbs, but I'm not sure with your aftermarket wheel. Just don't use green loctite, it's damn near permanent.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the various replies. I pulled one of the bolts and couldn't see red, blue, green or anything other than chrome. I'm guessing now that pulling the bolts and re-torquing them with the "Red" would've done this. But might as well put on the new parts since their free.

But to miss a ride on what will be one of the last weekends before it turns hot here...

Piss, moan. Could be driving a Humvee thru Baghdad! I'll stop the whining now.#[email protected]

Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts