V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably 4th time this thing, one or the other, or both, rattled loose :badmood:

Very SENSITIVE to noise on my bike right now and since I did the front tappets and push rods have heard a louder than normal "it's normal" sound.

So go around it on idle, and sure enough there is the inside/forward shifter rattling.

So I have gone through this before, pulled both, clean splines on both, and shaft, chase the screw holes, align them back on the shaft, liberal dose of blue locktite, tighten down.

So is there a fix or should I just keep doing it this way?

Teflon liquid thread seal on inside of shifter?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I wonder if the splines on your shaft aren't cut undersize. You say this is not a new situation, you tighten them sufficiently ,and loctite them to boot. I would have to take a hard look at the splines on the shaft.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
LAF said:
Probably 4th time this thing, one or the other, or both, rattled loose :badmood:

Very SENSITIVE to noise on my bike right now and since I did the front tappets and push rods have heard a louder than normal "it's normal" sound.

So go around it on idle, and sure enough there is the inside/forward shifter rattling.

So I have gone through this before, pulled both, clean splines on both, and shaft, chase the screw holes, align them back on the shaft, liberal dose of blue locktite, tighten down.

Mine kept doing that on my 01 RK. I replaced the shaft and haven't had a problem since. The part #had been upgraded and the splines seemed a bit deeper. I would think that your 05 has the newer shaft. Possibly the splines are worn a bit from the shifter being loose. My-2$en#e- .

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had exactly the same problem. Reinstalled it 3 times with blue loctite and it still loosened up. Went with red loctite about 3,000 miles ago and it's still tight as a fresh clam.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
05 Low Rider At 20K - I was changing oil in the engine and noticed oil coming from between the pan and inner primary cover, but it never dripped on the floor of the garage. Shifter shaft seal leaking and bushing worn out, plus the shifter shaft worn out, and the lever loose. I took it to the dealer for warranty. They have replaced all the parts I mentioned, and said they have been seeing a lot of this lately. They did a good job.

Thorns

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Mikie said:
I had exactly the same problem. Reinstalled it 3 times with blue loctite and it still loosened up. Went with red loctite about 3,000 miles ago and it's still tight as a fresh clam.
So are you putting the loctite on the threaded bolt, or on the shifter splines?

·
Registered
651 Posts
On the hex head bolt that tightens the shifter to the splined shaft. Clean all parts thoroughly before applying loctite and reassembly.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
The shaft is not expensive to replace. Like mentioned above, I'd replace it. I also prefer to used anti-seize on the threads of the bolt and splines. I think it lets you apply a better clamping force. I use a longer shifter shaft made of billet and it's been trouble free for 100,000 miles and that's how I installed it. I've also installed many others the same way with no problems.

·
Banned
871 Posts
LAF said:

One of the most essential products that you should have when you own a Harley is LOC-TITE. It's a good idea to use it on just about every piece of hardware on your bike. Harley's vibrate, so no amount of hardware securing devices is too much. :yes:

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Used red going back on and we will see. The splines are fine on both the shaft and the shifter. Cleaned well again, brake cleaner, and air, chased bolts and threads, not much riding now but time will tell. It was in fact the screw backed out and it did have a liberal dose of big blue on it. now a lite dose of big red. Time will tell.............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts